seeing a pattern here?
    2 large or handful of baby carrots cut up
    tablespoon of italian seasoning
    teaspoon of garlic
    pinch of red pepper flakes
    black pepper to taste, maybe half a teaspoon
    enough chicken stock to cover

simmer until it is all done - on a wood stove in a blizzard is fantastic
    serve with a nice hunk of sourdough bread and a tossed salad, with an apple tart for dessert
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Honey and beer with sausage, you say? Ask and you shall receive...

Lupo's "I was in a rush, so let's adapt this recipe and throw this shit together for dinner, shall we?" Honey-Beer glazed Sausage Mess

1 12 ounce bottle of beer (I used a Hefeweizen, to bring out the honey taste, and because it's not as hoppy)
      1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
      1 package smoked sausage cut into chunks, i.e. 2-3 inch pieces
      1/2 pound fresh green beans trimmed (Frozen work, too, just make sure you defrost and pat dry really well)
      2 tablespoons butter
      2 medium apples, cored and thinly sliced
      2 - 3 tablespoons of honey
      1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
      1 teaspoon orange zest
      small handful of sage leaves minced (around 8-10 leaves)

In a large skillet or saucepan combine half the beer and the crushed red pepper; bring to a boil. Add sausage and green beans. Return to a simmer, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.

In the same skillet, melt half the butter on medium heat, and add the apples. Cook until they just start to soften, turning occasionally, then transfer them to a plate.

Place the sausage in the skillet and cook until browned on all sides, then add it to the plate.

Deglaze the pan with the remaining beer. Add the remaining butter (watch for it foaming over!) honey, cider vinegar and orange zest. stir until well combined, and bring to a boil. Let it simmer until it thickens a bit. Add the sausage and the green beans, stir until they're coated. Fold in the apples and the sage, stir gently until it's all coated and warmed through.

Remove from heat. Put it on a serving platter if you prefer, or dump it in a bowl. Or just grab a fork. Makes about 3-4 servings.

Ta-Da!

ETA: I've actually got a few beer glazed sausage recipes I bookmarked a while ago. When I'm on my home computer, I'll go through them, there's different fruit/veg flavor combos that are AWESOME.
      Last edited by lupo pazzesco; 10-03-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

BBQ'ed kielebasa kabobs.

Cut kielebasa into 1/4" to 1/2" thick slices.
        Cut kabob vegetables into about the same size as the kielebasa. I use red/green peppers, sweet onion, mushrooms (halfed) and cherry tomatoes (whole). Thread alternating onto soaked bamboo skewers.

Mix approx 20 to 25 oz. cranberry juice with a heaping tablespoon cornstarch and bring to a boil to thicken a bit.

Grill kabobs while basting with the cranberry glaze until kielebasa is heated through and veggies start to get a bit crisp on the edges.

I suppose if you can find unsweetened cranberry juice, you could use the honey to sweeten it.

Comment

Dammit, all this made me hungry, so went down to the store to pick up some kielbasa and some spices that I had run out of...Only to find that they only had pre-packaged sausage (including PK) -- and none fresh. The barbarians o_O

Growing up in NOLA got me so used to seeing literally EVERY grocery store have a section of the meat department devoted to fresh sausage (whether made in-house, or brought in from smaller local vendors who were close enough that it was never frozen in the first place) that I just assumed it was normal everywhere. Apparently not (and this was Kroger, not Walmart, too -- while not *as* megalithic as WM, even winn-dixie has a decent selection back home). I'll have to check out one of those "deer processor" places (independent butcher shops) to get the real deal, I suppose >_>

Melt butter in pan and add flour. Stir together into paste and add milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens into sauce.
          A roux, in other words -- I take you mean a rather light (-colored)/blond one?
          Last edited by EricKei; 10-03-2013, 08:31 PM.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Of course, now I'll have to make my very first mac and cheese (at least, my first that doesn't come out of a box).
            I can not get over butternut squash mac and cheese. I like to add smoked sausage.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              A roux, in other words -- I take you mean a rather light (-colored)/blond one?
              Just curious, but if an Aussie gets transplanted to Louisiana (or a Cajun moves "Down Under"), do they cook with Kanga-roux?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yes, a roux. I just didn't say "make a roux" because not everyone knows what a roux is. Eric, your best bet would be to go to a place like Whole Foods or an actual butcher shop--although I do know Albertson's has actual handmade sausages.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Just curious, but if an Aussie gets transplanted to Louisiana (or a Cajun moves "Down Under"), do they cook with Kanga-roux?
                  Probably.

You laugh...but I'm fairly certain I know a place there where you can buy 'roo meat. They're been carrying ostrich for over two decades, so it's not much of a stretch....
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I know you can get kangaroo meat in Australia. Was watching an episode of Pressure Cook, and Ralph Pagano was cooking some. His exact words were, "As a general rule, anything that can fight back, you need to season a lot."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      .....and doesn't leave me feeling as antsy and jittery, as I often do after eating plenty of the storebought [Kielbasa].
                      Quoth Barracuda View Post
                      ....kangaroo meat.....
                      I don't know if that would leave Jester feeling particularly "antsy and jittery", but it may certainly leave him feeling jumpy!

Mike
                      Meow.........

Comment

Well? How about an update? What did you make, and how did it turn out?

Comment

Looks like the thread died. Darn it, I was enjoying bouncing recipe ideas around. Some of them sounded pretty darn tasty.

Comment

Update coming shortly. Been traveling and drinking for two days without sleep, so can't really focus at the moment.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                            X