Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuffed mushrooms, capsicum*, or any other 'stuffable' vegetable. Including lettuce leaves.
    (I think this is 'bell peppers' or 'sweet peppers': the mildest of the family, the one that's about the size of a fist, comes in green and red and yellow, hollow interior except for some seeds and connective pith.)

For the mushrooms, use the big ones with a sort of 'cup' in the middle, and cook them just enough that they're cooked.
    For the capsicum/peppers, halve, core out the pith and seeds, and roast just enough that they're cooked.
    Lettuce, use any large-leafed lettuce that can produce 'cup'-like leaves, and use those leaves.

Stuffing:
    Minced meats of any sorts goes well, including fish. Team the 'strength' of flavour of the meat to the strength of the veg: you want them to be complementary.
    Herb or spice the mince, and add minced vegetables that will suit/complement both the meat and the surround.
    Usually I'm using beef mince with garlic and onion, grated carrot, finely chopped or grated squash/zuchinni/whatever's in season... obviously some aspects of that are out for this occasion.
    For a vegetarian variation, simply stuff with a vegetable mix, or add grains and legumes, make felafel for stuffing, etc.

Finishing touches:
    Fill the mushroom, capsicum or lettuce with the stuffing. If mushroom or capsicum, cover with an amount of cheese suitable for the tastes of the people involved, and roast or grill (pref not microwave) just long enough for the cheese to at least partially melt.
    If lettuce, sprinkle with grated cheese.

Top with chopped shallots/spring onions/chives/other garnish of choice. Plate and serve.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
      I'd go with that unless you think cooking fish with your sister would be a PITA.
      Honestly, the only time we truly got along last time was when we were in the kitchen, cooking together. At which point we worked together like a well-oiled machine, like two people who had been cooking together for 20-30 years, rather than siblings who had never actually cooked together. It was the REST of the visit that was touch and go.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
      X