This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally set a shortcut, help!

I was using Wordperfect to take notes as I study, and I went to bold a word and then hold down the shift key to capitalize a letter 'p'. I know I miskeyed something, because now whenever I try to do Shift + p, it opens and/or brings up Windows Media player.

please help me undo it

p.s., I use Windows Xp
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

The keyboard shortcut for media player is ALT+SHIFT+P so your computer thinks the ALT key is being held down.

Either your ALT key is sticking, or sticky keys is enabled. If sticky keys is on you can just press shift 5 times in a row, or restart your computer to disable the current sticky keys.

Shift 5 times in a row is the shortcut for enabling or disabling sticky keys. Normally when you try to enable it windows will prompt you whether you want to use sticky keys or not.

To access sticky keys from the start menu go to: Start > Control Panel > Accessibility Options

From here you should see a check box to enable or disable sticky keys.

If it is not sticky keys that is the culprit you probably have a sticky keyboard key.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers, I'll be sure and file them away in case this happens again. The problem seems to have corrected itself
      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
        The keyboard shortcut for media player is ALT+SHIFT+P so your computer thinks the ALT key is being held down.
        I think this shortcut key may only be set in the program's Start Menu icon too.... so editing it by right clicking > Properties might allow you to remove or change the shortcut completely and avoid accidently hitting it.

Not 100% sure since I stopped using Windows Media Player and don't even have it installed anymore (would have been WMP7)
        Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Working...
        X