This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstall IE

I'd like to uninstall Internet Explorer from my home computer.

There's something on my computer that causes IE to open 50+ times to some odd page, and at times play some random radio station.

I fixed the problem once, but it's back (I guess I didn't fix it).

I plan on reformatting the hard drive soon (I have to make sure I still have all my disks and I have to back up everything).

In the meantime I want to get rid of IE so it stops doing this. (I use Firefox).

I went to Control Panel, it's not listed. In desperation I attempted to delete the IE file from Program Files, but it won't allow me.

It's a Dell Dimension E310 with Windows XP Home.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not 100% positive, as maybe someone has a work-around, but I'm fairly certain you can't. I believe windows considers it a "core system file" in XP.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Not sure if you can.... and as it is a lot of other programs (any that display anything like web content in-program, sometimes help files, or even the main program window) use IE's basic core functioning as well -- so it could potentially break a lot of applications (edit: even ones that aren't Microsoft)

But what you described sounds like a virus or something more than anything.
      Last edited by JLRodgers; 01-31-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Uninstalling IE is not a good idea.
        AS said before, it's a core application (MS got in trouble for this in Europe, IE being installed w/o a choice).

I'd do virus & malware scans first, and come back to us with the results.

Cutenoob
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
          AS said before, it's a core application (MS got in trouble for this in Europe, IE being installed w/o a choice).
          Desperately not trying to start something Fratching-worthy with this question, but if computers didn't have IE built-in, wouldn't they essentially be broken? (Well, windows computers, hush you *nix nerds ). Most programs use IE protocols to register online, etc, and without a browser built in, you'd have to pay for them, like any other software, since you'd be unable to go download yourself a different one. And what's more, why doesn't Apple get in trouble for doing that with Safari? To keep this from getting off topic, anyone with an idea, PM me please.

Comment

It wasn't that IE was installed w/o a choice, it's that Microsoft kept setting up countermeasures to stop other browsers from being used and not allowing alternative search engines for IE as opposed to MSN search.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That is the gist of it, yes.

The other part is that Safari is genuinely a separate application, and is not required for critical functions like file-finding and software updates.

I went on in much more detail in a PM.

Comment

Before I tried to uninstall IE, I reran an AVG scan (it does it daily) and only got the normal tracking cookies.

I then ran the Yahoo! Adware/Spyware scan tool and got nothing.

I have been assuming it's a malware/spyware but I sure can't find it anywhere.

Comment

In your tools setting of the browser there is an advanced setting that talks about that browser being your main browser.Uncheck that box. If you can't uncheck the box go into firefox and find the box in that tools menu. You should be able to check it there. Close firefox down by using File -- Exit and then restaret the computer. Upon opening fire fox again the computer should be prompted to ask if you want firefox as your default browser. Before clicking yes look for a advanced or more hotlink to be able to choose fire fox for all options.

Comment

That won't actually help if the issue is some piece of rogue code that specifies that it's IE it uses to make the 50 windows. Just because it's not set as your default browser doesn't mean other programs can't use it anyways.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                      In your tools setting of the browser there is an advanced setting that talks about that browser being your main browser
                      I've had Firefox set to be the main browser since I downloaded it, but it's like Broomjockey said, whatever this thing is, it keeps popping up.

No problems yet today, but I haven't left it on. I've been putting it on Standby

Comment

Sorry but thats what had helped me when IE was doing that. *shrugs*

Comment

It is a virus. I just don't know which one. I had it at my old job a while back. We ran forty-million scans (not really, but I ran BitDefender, CCleaner, AVG, Spybot Search & Destroy, and another scan that I don't remember off the top of my head).. It seemed to do the trick. Just make sure you scan your computer to DEATH, run a disk cleaner, defrag and reboot. Run the scans again and you should be okay.

Now, you WILL need to use IE for the online scan from Bit Defender. It doesn't like Firefox very much.
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                            ...BitDefender...
                            Thank-you for reminding me of bitdefender. That's all I used to use, till I started with AVG.

Bitdefender found 2 viruses and deleted them, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it worked.

Comment

Yay! What viruses were they? Or do you remember?
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                              X