This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another shoplifting story

Over the weekend, my brother and I were talking about things we have seen and heard at the local Publix. One of his friends is a manager at the store near his home, and she had this to say.

A couple came into the store to do some shopping and while doing so, he told her he needed to go look for something on another aisle. He went over to the office supply aisle and picked up a calculator. Well, this friendly manager just happened to see him, while dressed in plain clothes (no ID or uniform, of course), take a calculator from the shelf, open it up, and then shoved it into his pants! He then took the box the calculator came in and shoved it way into the back of the shelves so nobody would see it. She (the manager) decided to discreetly follow this guy as well as have someone keep an eye on the wife.

About twenty minutes later, the wife was ready to check out, and this is when the husband decided to follow her. One person was in the check out line ahead of this couple, and one of the other managers as well as the cashier was doing everything possible to stall this customer. Just then, after this customer was through, my brother's manager friend came up and loudly said, "Sir, with that calculator you have stuffed down in your pants, I thought perhaps you would also like to take the box it came with!", as she was holding the box in his face at him. He was redder than a lobster, either because he was embarrassed, or he was angry he had been caught. She then told him that he would either pay for it being it was now a calculator that touched his manhood, or she would call the police for shoplifting. Needless to say, he paid for the calculator.

I love the word "justice"!

man can you imagine being that poor wife??? How embarassing for HER! Unless he's done this many times before or something..... and of all the things to steal - a calculator?? I just really really need to add up some numbers so I gotta steal a calculator? Huh??

Comment

Maybe, if it were a graphing calculator, it would be worth it. Those are easily $70. But that's about it.
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
        Maybe, if it were a graphing calculator, it would be worth it. Those are easily $70. But that's about it.
        Some calculators are worth more, but this is from CND, anyways there is more of a chance that the calculator would have been under 10 dollars. Shoplifters are funny that way sometimes, they spend over 50 dollars and steal a cheap item.

Comment

Quoth mafiagodfather View Post
          Shoplifters are funny that way sometimes, they spend over 50 dollars and steal a cheap item.
          Maybe some of them are kleptomaniacs. Stealing either for the sake of it, or for the thrill. :shrugs:
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
            I wish. I paid $100 for my graphing calculator back in 1995, back when they were still kind of a new item. I needed it for my statistics class, and I to this day can't imagine how I got along without it. And, the size of mine would be a little tough to stuff in one's pants.

Comment

The most expensive calculator at my store is a Texas Instruments graphing calculator that comes with software for your computer and a USB cable and costs about $150.

I spent at least $100 for my TI-83 calculator in high school. Nice to have my own instead of rent one from the school. I still have it and still use it.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

There's nothing worse than a thief.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  Maybe some of them are kleptomaniacs. Stealing either for the sake of it, or for the thrill. :shrugs:
                  As I understand it, kleptomaniacs (at least the person I talked to diagnosed with it) just have a compulsion to fiddle with and pocket small items. He's walked out of his own apartment and realized he'd pocketed the salt-shaker off his table before.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                    As I understand it, kleptomaniacs (at least the person I talked to diagnosed with it) just have a compulsion to fiddle with and pocket small items. He's walked out of his own apartment and realized he'd pocketed the salt-shaker off his table before.
                    Why am I thinking of Tasslehoff right about now?
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                      It's a good thing my pants were right there when it fell, or it'd be in pieces right now.

I'm bored...
                      *alarms, klaxons, general mayhem*
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                        I had the EXACT same thought.

Comment

Well don't you know, it's the new fad, Illegal Accounting. All the cool Accountants do it. You steal a calculator, and you crunch numbers. It's a great high, much better than the crap they have to do at work. The only Problem is the Accountant gang wars. Many good Accountants get brought into these gangs, and before they know it they're addicted to doing taxes, it's such a sad sight. Every year there are more and more drive-by dividings. There are dealers on the street selling pens and pencils, and rolls of calculator tape to these poor addicted souls. It's so horrible to see.
                          It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
                          ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Quoth Aldous View Post
                            Well don't you know, it's the new fad, Illegal Accounting. All the cool Accountants do it. You steal a calculator, and you crunch numbers. It's a great high, much better than the crap they have to do at work. The only Problem is the Accountant gang wars. Many good Accountants get brought into these gangs, and before they know it they're addicted to doing taxes, it's such a sad sight. Every year there are more and more drive-by dividings. There are dealers on the street selling pens and pencils, and rolls of calculator tape to these poor addicted souls. It's so horrible to see.
                            That reminds me...some time when I have a billion hours to spare, I MUST check out The Onion and catch up on the "columns" by that one guy. What's his name? Always talking about Accounts Payabo'?
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                              Because you know who Tass is?

That's why I am.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X