Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is not my fault that you do not speak English!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
    "Why you no speak a Spanish?"

I told him, "Because I live in America." Unfortunately my boss, heard me and told me that I was gone.
    While I don't think this is necessarily grounds for dismissal, it's also not a valid reason for not learning Spanish. There is no official language of the country, and thanks to freedom of speech, people can speak whatever language they want to. They can even make up their own language if they want, and speak that exclusively. However, if you're going to live in Texas, you might want to learn a few key phrases in Spanish such as, "No habla Espanol" or "No me gusta habla Espanol" (which may or may not actually mean I don't like to speak Spanish. I took 2 semesters of Spanish in college, and I'm kind of rusty at it, but I plan on becoming fluent in it over the course of my life.)

That being said, you are certainly free to choose not to learn whatever language he speaks, and it's not a requirement that you learn Spanish, the same as it's not a requirement that he learns English. However, he shouldn't expect you to automatically be able to speak Spanish just because of where you live, the same as you really can't expect him to learn English just because he's north of the border.

I really wish that the government would require more language studies throughout school. If you go over to Europe, and you only speak one language, it makes it harder for the people there to accommodate you, but if you give them a choice of two to work with, it's much easier for them. Most people in other countries with an education are multi-lingual, and it's scientifically proven that it makes them smarter. Plus, once you pick up one other language, it's easier to pick up new ones after that.

/soapbox
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

Sorry, I am going to disagree here. Saying "Because I live in America" is perfectly reasonable. This is a colony country, and English was the language of the forces in charge.

I feel for people who are new and fled other countries, say Bosnians and Croatians, and in fact, they are my neighbors since where I live is a refugee zone for Yugoslavian refugees. And I have tea over there once a week (I am attempting to learn Croatian), and we talk about language policy. One thing they say that I agree with is this:

"If you move to another country, and the dominant language of the natives is not your own, then you learn that language. Even if your own group outnumbers the native people there."

My second point is that this is a free country. I can choose to learn a language, or not learn a language. Just as I have a choice to speak a made up language, I also have the right to speak no language at all.

But with those rights come responsibilities. If you choose not to communicate (and speaking another language that not everyone speaks is such a choice) or to make communication harder, then you cannot be angry or surprised when *gasp* communication is impossible or harder.

Finally, regarding the post: I hate it. I've had so many customers come in with a chip on their shoulder who talk just in Spanish. They understand everything I say, but refuse to speak English.

However, regarding Asian immigrants, I've not had a problem yet. We have a very tiny Asian population here, so I'm guessing that the SCs have yet to arrive, but for the most part I am able to work with them just fine through the language barrier. Often this is because they go to the reference section and get a english/X dictionary and start pointing to words

Comment

Quoth ruffledbirdy View Post
        Sorry, I am going to disagree here. Saying "Because I live in America" is perfectly reasonable.
        Perhaps, in the opinion of the boss, saying "Because I live in America" may have come across as if the employee was belittling the customer and implying they were not 'American'.

Also, tone of voice says a lot, too. We didn't hear how it was said, but perhaps it was more the manner in which that phrase was spoken, rather than the content of the phrase itself.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

My Spanish is pathetic - I can ask for an ashtray, a beer and where the bathroom is. I can understand vaguely what is being said to me, but conversations are out of the question. Luckily, most of my Spanish speaking clients bring someone fluent with them (even if sometimes it is their 10yr old). Try explaining the new passport laws thru a 10 yr old.
          I'm embarrassed when I go to Mexico and usually let my SO do all the talking because he is fluent - exept he can never remember the word for ashtray and that is where I can shine

Comment

I had a customer do this to me a few weeks ago.

Me: Guess.
            NSE: No Speaka Eengleesh

Me: Can I help you?

NSE: Speaka Spaneesh?

Me: No. (not entirely true. I speak enough to infuriate someone who is fluent)

NSE: Blahblahblahblah(in Spanish)

Me: NO HABLO ESPANOL.

NSE: <pause>.......blahblahblahblah(in Spanish)

Me: <walks away>

Asswipe.
            I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

I was going to write more, but this isn't a debate thread, so I will only say this. While I do not disagree that English is the language of the forces in charge, it still does not make living in America equal to speaking English, and it could have been construed as an intolerant comment on part of the employer, leading to dismissal.

I also agree that it is someone's responsibility to either learn enough of the majority language to function in society or to find someone who can help them by translating. Moving to another country involves some change and adaptation, and it's important that new citizens are able to function properly in every day life.
              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
              The Office

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                NSE: Speaka Spaneesh?

Me: No. (not entirely true. I speak enough to infuriate someone who is fluent)
                I realize the customer was insistent and didn't pay attention to the fact that you said, "No" and "NO HABLO ESPANOL," in answer to his question, but in my opinion, just walking away like that was rude.
                You obviously do know a little Spanish, even if you aren't fluent, so why would you just walk away from a customer without at least trying to understand what was being asked?

He was trying to get some help, so if you are able to understand to some degree what he was saying, then why not try?

That's my opinion, but I guess I tend to approach things from a 'customer service/manager' perspective.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  You obviously do know a little Spanish, even if you aren't fluent, so why would you just walk away from a customer without at least trying to understand what was being asked?

He was trying to get some help, so if you are able to understand to some degree what he was saying, then why not try?
                  Like I said, I know enough to infuriate a Spanish speaker, meaning cuss words and so forth. I could not understand him at all, he spoke very quickly, and I really can't understand spanish conversations, I just pick up a word or two. He heard me say no twice, yet he continued. Walking away was the best option in this case because my saucy spanish was rising up on the tide of my blood pressure. That was the other option. Besides, when I walked off I found someone who did speak spanish, so he did get help, just not from me. And "no" is the same in both languages, so I know he understood that.

Let me just add that he was being sucky for a number of reasons:

1. He went to a business that would most likely require him to communicate his needs in english. He didn't bring anyone that was able to speak english, as he couldn't and came alone.

2. The first time I said I didn't speak spanish, he game me a look that indicated he thought I was stupid or ignorant. Big no-no with me.

3. Knowing full well that he might as well talk to the wall, he continued twice in a language that he knew I can't communicate in.

I needed info to help him, he couldn't give it to me, yet he expected help anyway. This is no different in my eyes than refusing to tell the computer guy anything other than "it won't work", refusing to give a call center rep account info because "they have it in front of them", or repeating the nature of a problem tp a new tech when you get transferred because " you told the other guy already". He should have asked for a spanish speaker in the first place. I understand that learning a new language is tough, I still can't use spanish even though I have been working on it for about 3 months, but this guy just rubbed me wrong and continued rubbing when he knew it was a futile gesture.
                  Last edited by Ree; 07-12-2007, 09:54 PM. Reason: Editing irrelevant parts out of quote

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                    Besides, when I walked off I found someone who did speak spanish, so he did get help, just not from me.
                    Ah...well that's different, then. That would have been my suggestion, but I didn't know if there was anyone there who was fluent in Spanish.

Comment

What I have always found particularly humourous is that people will immediately try speaking Chinese to me, before they will switch to English when they figure out that I cannot speak it. May I remind you that I am the palest woman on the planet with dark red hair. I look absolutely nothing like a person of Asian heritage; in fact my Irish birthplace/roots are plain as day to someone who takes a cursory glance at me.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                        I didn't know if there was anyone there who was fluent in Spanish.
                        I guess I should have stated it in the first place, I just didn't think it was relevant to describing his level of suck.

I should state that finding a spanish speaker was not my reason for walking away, though. It was to keep me fram saying one of the few phrases in spanish that I can say: 'Saca se la chingada" Translation: "Get the fuck outta here"
                        Last edited by Ree; 07-12-2007, 09:55 PM. Reason: Editing irrelevant parts out of quote

Comment

I am in the exact same situation right now. I live in France and don't speak the language. Most French don't speak any of my languages (I speak German, Polish and English...) but I just can't seem to get to learning it as I usually work with Germans or English speaking people I tend to not get many occasions to practice French.

Imagine, you are in a different country and just arrived there, you need something, go to the place you need to go and try everything and then the one that should help you is just walking away? That would be terrible.

Of course, when I'm the one not speaking the language I'm not just gonna talk to them in my language regardless of what they do or don't speak.
                          http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                          Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth Panigg View Post

Of course, when I'm the one not speaking the language I'm not just gonna talk to them in my language regardless of what they do or don't speak.
                            That was the problem. I could care less about country of origin or skin color, it's not a measure of your value as a person. Your behavior is, and this guy was behaving like an ass.

Would you, however, go to a store or business in France alone? Or would you bring someone who could speak French and English(or German)? I bet you pick choice #2.

Comment

Quoth Panigg View Post

Imagine, you are in a different country and just arrived there, you need something, go to the place you need to go and try everything and then the one that should help you is just walking away? That would be terrible.
                              He didn't try everything, though. He just continued to prattle on in spanish knowing I couldn't understand. He didn't give me the opportunity to try anything else, as the span of time from him walking in the door and me walking away was literally about 20 seconds. As I stated in an earlier post, he knew enough english to ask if I spoke spanish, he probably knew enough to ask for a spanish speaking person. He didn't do that, though. He just went off on a new tangent of suck.

Comment

Sucky behaviour has been established.
                                Jadedcarguy obviously felt the customer was not listening and so, felt justified in walking away rather than lose his temper.

A reminder that, even though the thread has remained on an even course, as Shabo pointed out, this is not a debate thread, and any language debate should go to fratching.

Comment

Working...
                                X