Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG, one of the most abusive customers EVER...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG, one of the most abusive customers EVER...

Okay, just before my shift ended tonight, a woman (looked about late 40s/early 50sish) with two small children (around 8-10 and 2, both girls) came into my checklane. I asked her if she enjoyed her visit and she said no (in a slightly stern way). Curious, I asked her if there was anything we can do to make her visit better. She replied (in a slightly more stern matter) that we were out of milk and eggs (both on sale; not GREAT sales but on sale noneoftheless). Now, when we have either one on sale, it's quite normal for both to be sold out late at night. And I told her we'd probably get a new shipment in around tomorrow morningish, to which she snapped at me saying that she didn't want to hear my explaination.

And would you believe I'm just getting warmed up?

Well, she also had six cans of baby formula that all of which was covered in $2-$3 markdown stickers. Now these are the kind you tear the bottom part off of each one to scan the discount, where the top part stays on (and has that X stencil on the top part to detect any attempts at transfering these labels). Well, there were enough of these labels to practically give away the formula for nothing on each can, and I even saw a couple labels that looked like they could've been transfered.

Now, as per normal standard op, I wanted to be absoultely sure this was right before I just almost give these away (and the fact the customer was very irate about me even going to check raised yet another red flag of suspcision). When I went away to check, the customer angrily told me that "if I didn't want to sell them to her to just put them away". Undetered, I went to the shopping cart these marked down formulas were in and sure enough, most of the others had one or more less labels and none looked like they were torn off (you have to see them to know fully what I mean). So I asked another co-worker (overnight stock) and he said most likely that they were simply marked down more cuz they were close to expiring or something (the cans weren't dented or anything).

So I went back to the checklane and I was going to do the cans (and their markdowns) for her when she then (surprise surprise!) threatened to speak to management (which of course there was none this late at night), to which I replied, "Go for it!" (knowing that our GM has zero tolerance for customers who abuse the employees).

But she didn't stop there, she called me an IDIOT for going to check the formulas/markdown labels. I polietly (as polietly as can be expected anyway) told her that being dissatisfied with her service is one thing, but she does not need to be attacking me personally for it. She then threatened to call the police on me (I don't know for sure if this was before or after the idiot comment) and was on the verge of making possibly terroristic threats against me (you can just sense these sorts of things with experience). The customer then demanded that the weekday overnight checker (I'm overnight weekends, remember) ring up her order instead. I then tried to bag for her but then the b***h, eh, I mean abusive customer demanded not to touch her products (gee, did she think I was diseased or something?). Because it was about the end of my shift anyway, I whispered to the weekday overnight checker that I would just go ahead and go.

All I can say is, if this SC (if that title really does this one justice) does indeed report me to the manager (most likely our GM), she'd better not be surprised if she ends up getting blackballed from the store. Like I said, our GM (for all her other faults) does not tolerate abusive or dishonest customers (and there is still that possiblity she may have transfered some of the markdown labels). You have to give our GM credit for that.
    Last edited by Estil; 07-15-2007, 02:06 AM.

Quoth Estil View Post

Well, she also had six cans of baby formula that all of which was covered in $2-$3 markdown stickers. Now these are the kind you tear the bottom part off of each one to scan the discount, where the top part stays on (and has that X stencil on the top part to detect any attempts at transfering these labels). Well, there were enough of these labels to practically give away the formula for nothing on each can, and I even saw a couple labels that looked like they could've been transfered.
    She obviously sounded abusive because she was caught in the act of being scammed I guess. One question is when you said that you tear the bottom part off and you scan the top. All of the formula must not have those is my understanding. is the top one also scannable as a discounted item and how does the stencil detect the item? if the top one can be peeled off is someone likely to stick it on another formula?
    Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

somethings smells rotten, and it's not the garbage; i'm going with half here, it sounds like her indignant act is covering for anger at being caught at scamming.

ah, the wrongly self-rightgeous, gotta love them, because we can't kill them without a place to hide the bodies, that is...
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Holy crap, you have baby formula sitting out in carts on the sales floor?! Ours is behind the kiosk; I can't imagine how much theft would occur on something that expensive and necessary. At least with the kleptos in our store.

But man, I would have gone growly, stern Front End Supervisor in that woman, whether she was doing that to me or to a cashier of mine. It is completely barbarous to abuse someone like a cashier or a waiter, people who simply aren't allowed to fight back. I hope your manager does bar her from the store, and I hope you get to kick her out next time she tries to enter it. Or at least watch and smirk as your manager does.

Comment

Oh I would have for sure had my co-worker not interviened. Of course, maybe she was only doing it to try to protect me or something.

Comment

Quoth HALFHUMANHALFZOMBIE View Post
            is the top one also scannable as a discounted item and how does the stencil detect the item? if the top one can be peeled off is someone likely to stick it on another formula?

Some price stickers have an X cut across the middle, and if you try to peel them off they often rip at the slits, making it more difficult to switch stickers. If I'm reading right, that's what the OP was referring to. It doesn't identify anything about the item, it just makes switching lower priced stickers onto more expensive items more difficult for the 'customer' (I use that term loosely) and more obvious for the employee to see if they tried.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Geez, that woman sounds like a total bitch. I probably would have told her my exact opinion once she started to get personal with her attitude problem. I've let many sucky customer have it when they start in with their crap, and I have yet to get more than a verbal "warning" that a complaint was received if I hear any more about it at all. Most of them are wrong, know they are wrong, and too stubborn to admit it. So, they try to bully the worker by threatening to complain to management. Usually, when you call their bluff and get a manager involved yourself, the customer backs down if they stick around at all. That's been my experience, anyway.

I've been threatened with the complaining to management routine so many times. Okay, let me get you a manager since you think you have a problem with my service! Of course, I've been lucky enough to work with managers who back their staff.
              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                She then threatened to call the police on me

My response would be, "Go right ahead, it would save me the trouble of doing it myself."
                Check out my cosplay social group!
                http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Working...
                X