Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work in California, which has more worker protections than any other state, but manufacturers here can still force mandatory overtime, as long as they don't do it in an illegal manner (discrimination, retaliation, etc.).
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
      I work in California, which has more worker protections than any other state, but manufacturers here can still force mandatory overtime, as long as they don't do it in an illegal manner (discrimination, retaliation, etc.).
      The big problem in this case is that the OP is on a state-sponsored medical program that's keeping her alive, but it has an income cutoff. She's arranged things (including refusing a raise) so she'll come in under the cutoff, but this mandatory overtime would put her over the cutoff.

To make a long story short, working this mandatory overtime will result in the OP's death. That was why my take on the situation is that this OT constitutes unsafe work.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I doubt the NLRB will see it that way. Unsafe work means an unsafe working environment: too much clutter, broken equipment, wet floors, mold, that sort of thing.

Lvl 9 Gazeebo has a serious medical illness that is controlled with treatment. He will not be able to get that treatment if he makes too much money due to working overtime. That's not the same thing as an unsafe working environment.

I think the ADA is a better approach. Under the ADA, employers must make "reasonable accommodation" in regards to disabled employees (OP falls under this due to his illness), and I think restricting OT is a reasonable accommodation.

I don't know if he's tried that approach; he hasn't said. He may fear rocking the boat too much, and I can understand why.

North Carolina really is not a friendly place to gays and lesbians
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          I don't know if he's tried that approach; he hasn't said. He may fear rocking the boat too much, and I can understand why.

North Carolina really is not a friendly place to gays and lesbians
          This. Too much at stake here, so I'm too afraid of drawing too much attention to myself. I'm just trying to get through another year, and my best shot at that is to not draw attention to myself. As I've mentioned, my factory has an ugly habit of firing people just before (sometimes only by a few days) they become eligible to take advantage of a very unique and very useful company benefit.

Regarding the second statement, it's unfortunately true, although I'm lucky to live in a city known for being a haven for the GLBTetc community. But because, cities aside, the state is not as friendly as it could be -- or used to be, since the last elections -- that puts me even more in fear of losing my medication benefits. Thanks to budget cuts and thanks to a political establishment that thinks people with my condition deserve to be thrown out to die horribly and forgotten, if you lose your medication coverage now, you'll never regain it. I'm only able to take advantage of the medication program because I've been on it for almost a decade and each year I'm grandfathered in on the old income guidelines. If the program is accepting new people at all, it only accepts you if your yearly income is less than half of the old guidelines.
          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            The big problem in this case is that the OP is on a state-sponsored medical program that's keeping her alive, but it has an income cutoff. She's arranged things (including refusing a raise) so she'll come in under the cutoff, but this mandatory overtime would put her over the cutoff.

To make a long story short, working this mandatory overtime will result in the OP's death. That was why my take on the situation is that this OT constitutes unsafe work.
            Yes, I know; this is an issue that the OP has had to face before and it completely sucks. The point I was making is that it can be very difficult to get out of overtime, no matter where you work, not whether it is an OSHA/unsafe work environment.

A few people at Level 9's employer do know his situation and he has been able to work it out before, and I hope that this happens again this year. It's very hard when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but you seem to be dragging through sucking mud to reach it.
            Last edited by wagegoth; 12-20-2011, 10:09 PM.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

$32,490.00 -- the total gross income you are allowed to make and still remain on the North Carolina AIDS Drug Assistance Program, without which I would not be able to afford the medications that not only keep me alive, but also keep me well enough to work and pay the taxes that support this program.

$32,136.40 -- my total gross income for 2011. No thanks to my factory, but I managed to come in under budget this year. I had a lady in HR call our corporate office to confirm and that's what they told her, and that is also what's on my last paycheck stub for this year. Now I have to wait for my tax info so I can take it in and reapply for this year.

Comment

Having done most of my English papers EVER on the disease I know how expensive having it can get. I've heard figures as high as $120,000 a year.

And I've also heard that the slightest deviation can throw you off and cause you to need a whole new med regimen.

Congrats on barely getting under it...though I'm sure you'll have a fight sometime during the year.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Lvl_9_Gazebo View Post
                  $32,136.40
                  Phew! Congrats on the precision landing!
                  No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                    Phew! Congrats on the precision landing!
                    Quoted for truth. Holy cripes, that was a close shave for sure.
                    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Congratulations for being safe a year more . Anything more I want to say should probably go to Fratching .

Comment

Whew! Another close shave.

Well done
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'm relieved for you
                          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your congratulations. It was a rough road to walk this year but at least I was prepared for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X