Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, he claims this was a joke, yet you wouldn't even know about it if the client didn't go to you directly. Which suggests he's probably tried this with other clients, who didn't inform you of his shenanigans. It also tells me he'll do it again and again, after all he thinks he got a free pass by calling it a "joke".

I'm not sure how I feel about the suing thing, what will you gain from it? Don't get me wrong, I'd want to sue his ass to oblivion, but does he have any money to pay? A judgement will only be beneficial if you can collect and pay for your time, your lawyer's time, and all the aggravation.

I'd go with what Pederson said about possible criminal penalties. Any way to find out if this idiot broke the law and what body would enforce and penalize him for those laws? Now THAT would be satisfying.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I would send him an official "Cease and desist" letter for his attempted theft of your intellectual property, as well as the theft of his advance for work not yet completed. I would advise that the incomplete work has caused (insert value here) loss in your company, and any further actions will result in legal action being taken against him.

I would also copy and paste the conversations in question, dates and copies of the money being transferred for work that was not done, and an estimated total involving the cash+estimated losses. I would also mention the IRS bit about his corporation.

All that should shut him up without too much work on your end.

Comment

Sue his pants off. You can get other penalties against him than mere money judgments.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          First of all, he claims this was a joke, yet you wouldn't even know about it if the client didn't go to you directly. Which suggests he's probably tried this with other clients, who didn't inform you of his shenanigans. It also tells me he'll do it again and again, after all he thinks he got a free pass by calling it a "joke".
          Every bully everywhere always claims their harrassment was "a joke" or "only kidding". That excuse has worn quite thin. I think legal action, pain in the arse that it is, may be your best recourse.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
            I recall a thread regarding call centers, and how when a customer might threaten the place with the word "lawyer" that the rep would say, "because you are involving your lawyers now, I am no longer obligated to speak to you and you will speak with our team of lawyers from this point on."
            At least in our (limited) experience, once that is invoked the remainder of the conversation has to be lawyer-to-lawyer (customer can't/isn't supposed to get involved).
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

the thing to remember about lawsuits is that the person against whom judgement is made needs to actually HAVE money to pay it out.
              On the other hand, he is definitley in the real of the illegal now, and you can have criminal charges brought against him.
              And call the IRS. It's audit time!

Comment

He also needs to know that just because he is a "corporation" now, that doesn't neccessarily protect him. Depending on the type of corporation and other state/federal laws, he may still be personally responsible for every action of the corporation. There are various types of corps that can be established and they all have different levels of protection/liability issues.

**just speaking from experience about corps. Hubby had a corp for about 13 years that I managed the books for. But also speaking from experience in Kentucky, ONLY.....

Comment

I love how saying it was just a "joke" is somehow meant to make everything all better. Could I go into a school with a BB gun and start threatening to kill everyone and then when the police arrive, shrug and go, "Oh it was just a joke!" and expect them to just giggle and be on their way?

This guy is way too cocky and he needs to have the rug pulled out from under him. Just because you work for a corporation doesn't mean you are immune to legal action; if you can do it, I would totally sue his ass. He thinks he's some hot shit now and someone needs to show him that he's just plain shit.

Sorry to hear people are being such douchebags - not only this prick, but your coder too.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
                    I love how saying it was just a "joke" is somehow meant to make everything all better. Could I go into a school with a BB gun and start threatening to kill everyone and then when the police arrive, shrug and go, "Oh it was just a joke!" and expect them to just giggle and be on their way?
                    After this week's incidents?....I'd have to say no. No, for sure. Heh.
                    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Working...
                    X