This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toothache needs to stop NAO

I had a okay start to my workweek but by Tuesday afternoon, going downhill pretty fast.

My broken front tooth broke off a bit more last Thursday while I was at work. I know miniature Reese Cups aren't crunchy

Wasn't aching then . . . that started around 2 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Took a swig or two of the Canadian Mist, tried to go back to bed.

Ached off and on during the day Tuesday. On a scale of 1-10, hovered around a 5 during the morning but by the time I left for the day, was hovering around 8.

Tuesday night at home, it was getting worse. Yes, this tooth should have been pulled out last year when I found a great family dentist (so I thought) but he wanted to clean the other side of the mouth first instead of getting this front tooth (which was missing a sliver on one side at that time) out as well as the one on the top left side that was missing most of the front and the filling had been lost.

Anyway, I'm up and down on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning alternating between swishing Canadian Mist in my mouth and spitting or using Orajel.

I barely made it through work on Wednesday, the pain was around a 12!!! By 9 am. I'm on my phone outside the back door, calling dentists that I had googled on my browser to see how quick I can be seen and how can I work out the payments.

First dentist I called . . . office was closed on Wednesdays and they don't accept emegencies (this was a general dentist just 2 minutes down the road.)

Second dentist I called . . . they specialize in periodonitics and implants. And yes, they can get me in at 9:30 on Thursday. I'd need at least $120 to get in the door.

Fine. Let Sheldon worry about getting these orders checked in. I tell the receptionist to set it up, and I'll take care of the paperwork that afternoon online thru their web portal.

I let Sheldon know that I would have to be out Thursday and that I had to be at the office by 9:30. Seeing that I was in pain (I mentioned it to him and JimmyB when I first got there, as my face was starting to swell a little then) he said get it fixed and keep me posted.

Wednesday night was horrible . . . . it hurt worse and I found the pain pills I had left over from my surgery in January. I popped a 600mg Motrin and started feeling some better (didn't kill the pain completely but it calmed it down to around a 5)

Dozed for a bit in my recliner (excuse me - Gidget's recliner - she let me borrow it) and woke back up around 10:30 to change clothes and go to bed.

Went to the bathroom to take the makeup off my face and I had swollen up even more. So much so on the left side of my face near my nose that I had trouble breathing thru that side.

It was even worse around 6 a.m. when I got back up so Mom and I could go pick up breakfast and make a quick run to the Alphabet Drug store that's 24 hours (out of Poise pads for her and we had not enough money in the bank until after 2 a.m. Thursday)

Got to the dentist's office right after 9 . . . . same building as my family doctor, one floor higher. Handed over my insurance card, photo ID and had my picture taken for my file (if I'd know that, I'd have worn my curlers to bed the night before and had my makeup on that morning . . .heehee)

Sat down and waited a few before being called to the back by the assistant. First went to a consult room, where she asked a few more question about what was going on w/my teeth as well as additional information about the medications I had listed on my registration. Then she disappeared and the dentist came in, spoke w/me and assured me he'd have me feeling better when I leave than I do now and off to the exam room we went..)
    He took a full set of x-rays to see if anything else was going on that was contributing to today's problems. After we looked over the x-rays, during which I still specified that I wanted the two broken teeth removed, we decided to do that today and he would suction out as much of the swelling as he could and I would be given antibiotics to take along w/pain medication for afterwards.

Another lady brought me the consent forms, which I read through and another one came w/another form outlining what my expected out of pocket costs would be (they would file w/the insurance later) and wanted at least $150 up front today.

150 is a bit more than 120 . . . . but I told them they'd get 150 today and the rest would be coming next month (have other bills to pay out.) Signed the consent for the procedure and the assistant got me ready.

There's nothing like my phone going off while I'm being drilled and pulled on. I thought I had the volume turned down or muted, but I guess I didn't get that far w/it other than stuffing it in the side pocket of my Duck bag (and I really need to pack it away for fall . . .it's November and I'm still carrying a white handbag? But I digress) Also, the dentist had to put stitches in since they are both upper teeth to help with the healing of the gum sockets.

Survived the procedure, got my prescriptions and had to stop by the ladies' room before checking out. Called Mom before I left the ladies' room and let her know I was getting ready to get checked out and how much I have to pay today (which I was not happy about having to pay 30 bucks more than what I was initially told, but anyways) it was at least over and I had the damn teeth out.

Made it home a little bit later, after stopping by Perfect Drugstore to drop off the scripts (and the drive thru is open again. Canopy hasn't been replaced but is missing but at least the drive thru is open again) and grabbed something for lunch (roast beef sandwich is good but I had to take off the top bun b/c of seeds. And of course Gidget decided it was more than I could eat by myself.)

Picked up the drugs later that afternoon, went by grocery store to get a few things (had to have something I could eat so that meant yogurt, soup, pudding cups and a couple of Stouffer's mac and cheese entrees. The Vermont white cheddar one is to die for ) grabbed some dinner for Mom and brother and finally made it home (that line at the KFC moves at one pace . . . Glacier in the wintertime) and felt even longer being out due to having a slight fever and chills.

Took Friday off (I had sent Sheldon and Grasshopper a group text to let them know after I'd gotten home from the dentist what happened and I'd be on pain meds that I wasn't familiar with. Sheldon said text him back on Friday and let me know how many sick hours to put on my check. Love these guys when it counts, BTW. )

My face is now much less swollen . . . the antibiotics are helping. I've also got more 800mg Motrin and Norco for night time (and that Norco doesn't let me sleep . . . I was up until well after 1 am the last two nights.) Been swishing a couple of times so far today w/warm salt water, which is also helping w/keeping debris out. And I've left the pink peace pipe alone until late last night (which was hard to do but didn't want to run the risk of developing a dry socket.)

But today I'm feeling some better. Still have some residual pain but nothing I can't deal with. I go back on Thursday afternoon to have the stitches removed and the dentist wants to go over a treatment plan for the other teeth (even though I've stated that I am planning to have all the top teeth removed since they are wanting to crumble and have a top denture plate installed. He's wanting to say it's not necessary.)

I'll have the stitches removed and listen to his sales pitch. But I won't be going back for anything else until after January (my insurance benefits start over again and it'll be yet another 100 deductible to pay.)

But at least I'm not hurting now. And I've finally ditched the four legged babysitter for a little bit so I can use the laptop.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

I'm so glad that you're not in as much pain now! I've gone through the scary face swelling caused by bad teeth, and the joy of finding a dentist to get the necessary work done, so I know all too well what that's like. I hope that the rest of your healig is a lot easier now

Comment

I'm glad you got ahold of norco. When I have pain that bad I need some kind of opium derivative or manufactured version in order to stay sane. NSAIDs can only do so much.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        I'm glad you got ahold of norco. When I have pain that bad I need some kind of opium derivative or manufactured version in order to stay sane. NSAIDs can only do so much.
        Funny thing is w/the Norco: it keeps me awake, especially if I take it not long after taking one of the Motrin.

I fell asleep in the recliner last night watching tv. Next thing I knew, it was almost 3 am and Gidget was holding me down. Didn't get back to sleep until nearly 6 this morning then woke back up around 8.

I'll definitely have to go to bed early, since I'm going back to work tomorrow and I have to be up at my usual 5 am.

The swelling has gone down considerably but I still have to finish off the antibiotics. There is still some slight pain from the side where the 2nd tooth was removed (the front one doesn't ache now) but otherwise I'm feeling better.

Still wary about chewing anything that has breading on it, so for this morning I went to the Golden Arches and got a sausage gravy biscuit and a hash brown. Did better w/the hash brown than I thought.

But I'll wait until at least next weekend before I get my Saturday hot dogs. Onions might be a bit much right now.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I am beginning to think tramadol keeps me awake. I knew I was tired last night, but not sleepy. There's a difference.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I remember the pain from earlier in the year from my teeth needing out. I can't take narcotics at all, or at least the ones I've tried leave my skin crawling and paranoid. Plus I'm afraid of the potential addiction, especially now since my brother's passing. That tooth pain was more than I could handle, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm so glad you're getting it corrected.

Comment

Working...
            X