Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sickbay

Closed Thread

Food recall question
Old 06-14-2017, 08:39 AM
I need a life

Default Food recall question

There's recently been a massive recall of prepared food products due to an industrial supplier of bread crumbs not declaring that they contain milk (one of the 5 "major allergens"). Since this isn't a food poisoning issue (i.e. the food is perfectly safe for people who aren't allergic), I was wondering something.

Suppose food processor X uses the bread crumbs in question, but only in products that already contain dairy (e.g. breading on Chicken Cordon Bleu, where the chicken breasts are stuffed with ham and cheese), or on products which are already labeled with the warning "may contain milk". Would they be able to get an exemption from the recall? After all, it doesn't make sense to recall a product with cheese as one of its ingredients simply because another ingredient contains milk.

If such an exemption were allowed, and the supplier still had a bunch of contaminated product to get rid of, I'd imagine that processor X would be able to get a good deal on otherwise unsaleable material.

Last edited by wolfie; 06-14-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added more material

Old 06-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Bacon Whisperer

That sounds completely logical but this sort of thing often doesn't run on logic.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:58 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Agreed. It seems to make sense, but it also seems like the sort of things that would not be allowed at all. "If you recall something, then it cannot be used," is probably the procedure and likely something in the law as well.
Closed Thread