This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because It's ON YOUR MENU

I can't believe I had to go to three places to get one coffee today. Well, the first--Starbucks--isn't at fault. I decided to get out of the drive-through line because it's an L-shaped parking lot around a building and it was so busy that I was blocking people. Plus, I didn't want to add to the employees' stress (probably 6 or 7 cars in drive). I bowed out and felt totally fine about it until what happened after that.

So, on to the second place: a coffee shop in the mall where I have more than once had an unhappy employee. I'm not one to get too upset at how they feel--you all know how I am about that--but it affects their ability to listen sometimes. I wanted some kind of iced coffee sans sugar. Now they use some kind of pre-made sugary milk/coffee concoction for their frozen drinks. But they also have on the menu drinks over ice so that's what I was going to get. I normally get a latte over ice but I saw they listed a cappuccino over ice as well which would be better because less milk. I tried to opt for that but the cashier looked confused. She kept talking about a latte and I was like
    She decided to give me a sample of whatever she thought that was, which was the syrupy concoction they use for frozen. I saw what she picked and asked if it had sugar and she said yes and I explained I didn't want sugar. So she asked her coworkers and they were no help. One guy was asked if I'd gotten it before and I had to say if I had it was a long time ago so I didn't know, but it was on the menu. That's when cashier lady piped up with "Well, we're not going to steam the milk and put it over ice." That's when I had to explain to the barista how to make coffee. I said it would be espresso in cold milk and then over ice. Cashier lady said, "Oh, so we should get a latte!" I explained that I assumed since they were both on the menu that one could either get a latte over ice or a cappuccino which would just be a different proportion of espresso to milk.
    The third guy said that for iced cappuccino they use the sweet stuff, "The proportion is different." Yeah, I know the proportion is different, I thought, but it's a different product. At that point I just gave up and said, "I think I'll skip it. Thanks guys." I don't think that was SCish, but I left so abruptly that they will probably talk about me the way we talk about SCs now.

Third place: I then remembered that Nice Sporting Goods Store sells Starbucks products so I went to their little coffee bar and got what I wanted. The very nice young ladies listened to me rant a little while praising them at the same time. After I had my drink and tried to post here (phone was being a butt) I went back and asked for a manager at NSGS and thanked him very much for his staff. I said that I've NEVER had a problem at NSGS and that if there were a misunderstanding the staff would never argue with me. I ordered off their menu and <gasp> got what was on the menu. I also said I appreciated very much that they let me vent a little about the coffee shop. That was nice of them and they are sweet girls and should be recognized for the great service they give. I know some will say I should talk to the management at the coffee shop but I'm not going to bother. I rarely go there anyway. I now know I can't get the drink I want there so c'est la vie.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I hate when I'm forced to "argue" with employees about something that's stated on the menu. I once tried to order a meal that was on sale at a fast food place based on a GIANT SIGN on the building of said restaurant, and was told that no, the price for that meal was higher amount. I mean, for all I knew that promotion had expired, but the sign was still posted and did not have any date on it. I couldn't have been the only one trying to order it, it was for a very popular thing. There's a reason I don't go there, and that reason is that I don't think they've ever gotten my order correct, and I order simple things. "I'd like a number three, small, with orange soda." And I end up with Hi-C.

There's a big chain up north that has a drink that's super famous, the "Iced Capp" which I assume is short for cappuccino, and it's very sweetened. I've always wondered about that, since I always thought a cappuccino was equal parts espresso, steamed milk, and foam. So it would not surprise me at all to find a cappuccino at another place which is sweetened. Not that I'm siding with them, since they thought that steaming milk to pour over ice was a good idea. I would also assume that a regular cappuccino would be without sweetener, and anything else would be flavored. For example, at Green Mermaid if you order a latte, it's just steamed milk and espresso but if you order a vanilla latte then it has syrup. I feel like I'm about to go on a giant rant about how there is no standardized naming convention (in this country at least) for either types of coffee drinks or sizes of those drinks, so I'll just stop before it gets out of hand.

Anyway, this is why I stick to known places, like Green Mermaid. Say what you will about their coffee, but I get what I expect nearly all the time(baristas are human, sometimes the mess up), plus I can check on their app to see what goes into each drink, and then I can change it if I want. Can you drop a line about that second place, like "oh hai just wondering what your iced cappuccino is, the employees were unfamiliar with it."
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I am familiar with the iced capp at the coffee place "up north" as they're all over my town. I love the iced capp - it tastes like coffee ice cream - but technically it's not a real cappuccino, or so I understand.

We tried once to order an iced cappuccino at our favorite coffee place (not the big chain with the iced capp) and were told that it is NOT DONE, no one (supposedly) will pour a hot drink like that over ice. So I assume that most iced capp drinks are made of premixed coffee and milk which is then chilled.

It is still ridiculous that you could not get something that was ON THEIR MENU. Poor training.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I should've asked the difference between the iced cappuccino and iced latte. That would've confused them. I know it's not the same sweet stuff in different sized cups; the prices were exactly the same. I remember years ago I asked for an iced latte at another place and the poor confused barista did steam the milk and poured it all over ice. Worst coffee ever.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        but technically it's not a real cappuccino, or so I understand....So I assume that most iced capp drinks are made of premixed coffee and milk which is then chilled.

It is still ridiculous that you could not get something that was ON THEIR MENU. Poor training.
        You're right; the word literally refers to the cap of foam on top, so technically it's a hot drink and it's 1 part espresso, one part steamed milk, and one part foam. Latte is called such because it literally means milk, and that's what it mostly is. It's 1 part espresso to two parts steamed milk. I don't think iced coffee with milk even exists in Italy; it seems to be a North American thing. Since it is, coffee shops shouldn't have it on the menu if they don't know how to make it. I realize this is a first-world problem and that's why I wasn't rude about it. I'll just chalk it up to poor training like you said.
        Last edited by Food Lady; 10-02-2017, 02:33 AM.

Comment

I went to their little coffee bar and got what I wanted.
          Weeeeell, I guess now you know which one to patronize most often! ^_^
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I feel your pain. Don't get between me an my caffeinated bliss.

On the rare occasion I get an iced coffee at arch-land, I always order it without liquid sugar. Unfortunately, employees sometimes have no idea what I'm talking about and can't seem to understand wanting to drink a coffee without sweetener. I've been told to order it "plain" or "without liquid sugar". I've actually ordered an ice coffee by saying, "plain, no liquid sugar, no sweetener, I don't want any sweetener at all" and still ended up with liquid sugar overkill.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              There's a reason I don't go there, and that reason is that I don't think they've ever gotten my order correct, and I order simple things. "I'd like a number three, small, with orange soda." And I end up with Hi-C.
              Yeah, there's a particular BK Lounge near my house that I hate having to go to. They've gotten my order wrong multiple times. And the most recent trip, I only used them because the other BK Lounge is in the opposite direction where I was going, and while they got my order right, the breakfast burrito I ordered was falling apart in my hands.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                I can't believe I had to go to three places to get one coffee today. Well, the first--Starbucks--isn't at fault. I decided to get out of the drive-through line because it's an L-shaped parking lot around a building and it was so busy that I was blocking people. Plus, I didn't want to add to the employees' stress (probably 6 or 7 cars in drive). I bowed out and felt totally fine about it until what happened after that.
                Most people don't even think far enough ahead to think about how much more stress they add to the employee when they're the 14th car in line, so good job saving that poor barista some hair!
                Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

J2K- I knew Pennywise's and Hedgehog did breakfast burritos (the latter's are *amazing* -- try to catch them when they go on sale); I didn't know Burger Royale did those, too o_O. Hmmmm...
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    J2K- I knew Pennywise's and Hedgehog did breakfast burritos (the latter's are *amazing* -- try to catch them when they go on sale); I didn't know Burger Royale did those, too o_O. Hmmmm...
                    Oh yeah, the BK Lounge's "Egg-normous Burrito" is tasty. Could use a little less mexi-sauce, but it's good and filling.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth apocolypse101 View Post
                      Most people don't even think far enough ahead to think about how much more stress they add to the employee when they're the 14th car in line, so good job saving that poor barista some hair!
                      It comes from having worked quite a bit of fast food and retail, too. At least in my current job I can take a breather between customers.

Comment

If the drive thru line is very long I park and walk in. Sometimes, I'm soooo lazy. I submit my order on the app, and sit in my car for a few minutes before walking in.

...I get too much overpriced coffee.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

J2K - I shall have to check that out. Thanks!

Comment

I've given up going to Starbucks cuz a) the baristas there seem to be really stupid; I've never been able to order a drink and get it correctly made the first time, it always has to be remade and b) their coffee is really weak. The latte is more like flavoured milk than coffee; I know a latte is mostly milk but you should still get a coffee kick. I go to Caffe Nero's now, they always get my order right, the coffee is better and the employees are always nice.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

In my opinion, the Green Mermaid coffee is OK. It tastes rather burnt to me, but I know that I can usually what I want from them.

Personally, I like to try the independent coffee shops. I've had some HOLY COW! moments, some rather not so good coffee, but once in a while I find a place with the most amazing coffee ever. While I don't have much of a sense of adventure anymore, I'm willing to explore coffee. Coffee comes with caffeine and that's the important part!

Way back when, a number of jobs ago, I used to be able to order diner food delivered and they never got it right. I was always charged the correct amount for the food I had ordered, but it was always delightfully random. I didn't have to think about what to have for lunch, and it was always a surprise.

"Hurray, lunch is here, I wonder what it is today. A hamburger? A fish sandwich? It doesn't smell like fried chicken and potato salad." Opens bag, "Oh hurray, its an egg salad sandwich with onion rings, I haven't gotten that one in forever!"

All of my coworkers would fuss with the delivery guy over the orders being wrong despite what the label on the bag said, not me. I've give him/her a nice tip and say thank you, because it was always just what I wanted as soon as I saw it.

Comment

Working...
                              X