This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrr ...

Mothership manager just called. Would I take somebody's shift from 3-8:30 p.m. tomorrow? Coworker needs time to study.

Ya know ... not my problem. I don't mean to sound like a cranky old curmudgeon, but I managed to get my studying in during my two years in school without always trying to get somebody else to fill in for me at work (this isn't the first time I've taken one of her shifts because of school stuff). And I'm already being really loaded down with shifts (LONG shifts) in the run-up to Christmas.

At first I said flatly "No" ... then I decided instead to trade ... if she'll take one of my shifts next week, I'll take her shift tomorrow. Manager said he would get back to me.

I really have to stop answering the damn phone.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Interesting non-follow-up: no messages from boss. Either she found somebody else to take her shift, or she didn't like the trade idea. Oh well.
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I had one former coworker who was always trading shifts with people because she had homework to do. I didn't mind once in awhile or during finals or something because sometimes you do need extra time. But it was almost every week. Then I heard her telling the manager that she couldn't work certain shifts because things were just too stressful for her. Luckily when our store hours changed she never came back. Don't know if she went to another store or just quit. She was down to working a couple days a month.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Yeah. I understand that school is important, but ...

Anyway, she called back, and is going to take one of my shifts next week. I'm debating now whether to spend that entire day at the office ... or leave at the time I would have left to go to The Mothership and get some work done around the house ... since tomorrow is gonna be a bit of a bust (I work 3-8).

And between the office and The Mothership, I'll be working at least 16 days straight. Ugh.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Your coworker wouldn't like me much, 'cause I'd probably have to mention the fact that I did my whole four-year college degree working full time and going to school nights.

With a 3.84 average.

And I did it in three years.

Nope, she wouldn't like me at all . . .

Comment

When I worked PT in retail on top of my FT job, I learned quickly NOT to answer my phone. Even if it was sitting right in front of me. I found if i let them leave a message, i wouldn't be put on the spot by being asked to work for someone, or switch, or whatnot. I would listen, and then formulate a response.

i also got really good at just saying "sorry i can't" or "sorry, I have plans that day" vs. going in to why icouldn't in any detail.

Comment

Working...
            X