This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DROP IT YA THIEVIN' VARMINTS!!!!

I hate vandals, I really do. So when I saw a gaggle of kids casually walking down the street at 1 in the morning with a Freshly-stolen street sign, I snapped.

I pulled the truck over in front of them and screamed "drop it!"

"Drop... it?" they asked.

DROP IT! NOW!

They did, and ran as I informed them the cops were just called.

Responding officer thanked me, but the poor cop had to drive the sign back to the station in a manner that made all passerby assume that he cannot drive..

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d9&oe=5A3E1A1F
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

When you said "street sign", I didn't realize you meant the pole and everything...geez...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Yeah, this has always been a popular thing for college kids to do. Though I never did it myself, I'm ashamed to admit I used to find it amusing. Except for when someone took a flashing sign meant to alert drivers about a hole in the street. My fellow students didn't appreciate me questioning what was going to happen to some unsuspecting driver that hit the hole at night.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I couldn't help but think of this, the stolen signpost quest from the first Diablo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMf1-2CwoA0

Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

My dad has several 'Road Flooded' signs in his garage. This is because the local council used to put them out on a particular road which always flooded, I'd clear the flood on my dog walking (mainly involved kicking away the grass/mud covering the drain, that's it, but the council employees weren't there to do that, just put out the signs), then I'd tell Dad when I got home, he'd go collect the signs, by which time the 'flood' had cleared, and store the signs. Every so often the council asks him if he's still got them, but since he puts them out around his village if needed, the council aren't that bothered that he's got them.
          It does help that he used to work for the council, and was on the parish council of the next village over where I grew up, so most people in the road signs department knows him!

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            When you said "street sign", I didn't realize you meant the pole and everything...geez...
            Florida- here hold my beer-
            http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...173095076.html
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Why on God's Green Earth would you take a street light???? The most likely reason I can think of is to try to sell it for scrap metal, but, maybe druggies don't think about buyers of scrap metal not buying same from druggies? WTF!

That's SOME drug haze to think that was a good idea!

Comment

My parents have several signs from our street. I believe they were from when storms came through and limbs/trees destroyed the pole. I know for certain they didn't go and rip up a perfectly good sign, but I have no idea if they should have left the sign for the county to recover? Anyways, they're fun to have because the street I grew up on is named after my family, so it's my last name. Not sure why people want random signs though, especially not enough to risk tearing them down.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Beaver, UT and Virgin, UT lose a lot of signs...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                    Why on God's Green Earth would you take a street light???? The most likely reason I can think of is to try to sell it for scrap metal, but, maybe druggies don't think about buyers of scrap metal not buying same from druggies? WTF!

That's SOME drug haze to think that was a good idea!
                    It was knocked down during the hurricanes, the two losers tried to run off with it to sell it for scrap. They..... didn't get far.
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Beaver, UT and Virgin, UT lose a lot of signs...
                      I'm sure Intercourse, PA and Climax, PA do as well.
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I gather that New York and Boston at least, have tried to sell versions of their most frequently stolen signs, but with little success at reducing thefts.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                          I'm sure that Blue Ball loses its fair share of signs

Then there's Tuckahoe, NJ. I don't remember seeing that sign get stolen. But, it does get vandalized on a regular basis--I've seen that T replaced with an F several times over the years
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                            AND how many times have state and Federal highway depts. replaced mile marker 420 across the US??????
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                              One of my friends used to live in 69th Street in a suburb of Harrisburg. I was always missing his street because the damn sign was missing. Eventually found out that one of our other friends was the one who took it, and he didn't do it just once. He had a whole collection of them.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X