Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kno Place can usually keep it's sign but the City has given up on Sum Place.
    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
      AND how many times have state and Federal highway depts. replaced mile marker 420 across the US??????
      There's not that many places where the mile markers get up that far. One place, think it was in Colorado replace 420 with 419.99.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Oh and my city had a street called

Blow St. named after Susan Blow a well known education advocate in the mid 19th century
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
          I'm sure Intercourse, PA and Climax, PA do as well.
          Richard Hammond: "You don't think there was a town called Foreplay back there we should have stopped in first?"
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Newfoundland is full of interesting place names, and signs do go missing in these places quite a lot. Dildo NL is a fine example. Sure, they've tried to sell signs with their town name on them, but people still keep swiping the official signs anyway!

Comment

When I was in elementary school, the school was located on 'Gay' street. Somewhat amusing for a bunch of 4th graders in in the mid 80s.
              Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

And, of course, there's always a certain town in Austria... I'm told they used to lose a lot of signs to British and American tourists. Though apparently they've made the signs a bit harder to steal these days...
                "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                  When I was in elementary school, the school was located on 'Gay' street. Somewhat amusing for a bunch of 4th graders in in the mid 80s.
                  I guarantee you it's probably still very amusing to 4th graders.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                    Oh and my city had a street called

Blow St. named after Susan Blow a well known education advocate in the mid 19th century
                    My hometown has a Cuming St, and believe it or not both street signs were on the pole at the 69th St intersection when the google maps car was in the area. Google maps link

Comment

A member of my BIL extended family used to live in Ford Court. The sign got stolen so often that they put it up so high that it was just under the street light. As in just an inch higher and it would be in shadow when the street lights were on.

Our road authority sells the street name signs when they have been damaged. Occasionally they also sell when they update them too.

We had the AC/DC Lane sign stolen so often in the first few weeks of it being named that council replaced it with a painted on street sign. It's a bit hard to steal the bricks. Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and Abbey Road also have the same issues and they are all painted on instead now.
                      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        I guarantee you it's probably still very amusing to 4th graders.
                        Probably not as amusing as Gaylord Avenue over in Dormont....
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

There's 2 places in New Zealand that occasionally get signs stolen:

Big Manly Beach
                          and
                          Little Manly Beach

>_>
                          Violets are blue,
                          Roses are red,
                          I bequeath to thee...
                          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Whereas the sign for taumatawhakatangihanga... needs a whole gang of you to parade it through town once youve pilfered it....
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                              Whereas the sign for taumatawhakatangihanga... needs a whole gang of you to parade it through town once youve pilfered it....
                              Yup, the longer name being Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu. 2nd longest place name in the world. (dunno why it keeps adding *'s automatically)

Longest place name in the world is Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayuttha yamahadilokphopnopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniw esmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavi sanukamprasit (Located in Bangkok)
                              Last edited by Kagato; 11-04-2017, 07:46 AM.
                              Violets are blue,
                              Roses are red,
                              I bequeath to thee...
                              A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I have enough of a challenge turning at the Third Dead Cat!
                                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                                X