Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never shop on Black Friday, in fact I barely shop in person at all anymore. I get most of my stuff online these days, it's way easier. And I don't like retailers that stay open on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, it's so not fair to the people who have to work that madness.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The company I work for does retail credit. While the company is closed Thursday & Friday, I am on-call this weekend. I don't expect any problems out of my systems, but you never know when you will end up as collateral damage to a DDOS attack on someone else.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I have to work the new job (quit WalMart flat out a few weeks ago) which is an online used book store. Should be interesting, I'll prolly be safe this year as I'm in receiving and prolly too new to me moved to picking or shipping since I just started a week ago.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I'm thankful that the Warehouse is closed on Thanksgiving, I was sick and tired of pies, pies, and more damn pies two weeks ago. I've got to close on Black Friday but there shouldn't be any problems, hopefully.
          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
            Jumping the gun a bit Irv? We aint even to Turkey Day yet. Though I do look forward to hearing the stories.
            Apparently the people of my shopping district thought it was Black Wednesday today. No specific noteworthy incident, just a mass of people wanting coffee* and a schedule that thought we were going to have time to do inventory.

*Edit: and wondering why things aren't on sale yet.
            Flood

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
              I never shop on Black Friday, in fact I barely shop in person at all anymore. I get most of my stuff online these days, it's way easier. And I don't like retailers that stay open on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, it's so not fair to the people who have to work that madness.
              This is exactly how I feel. Now that I have Thanksgiving and Friday off and could shop I will not, on principle. The only thing I'll go for is groceries. There is no reason for me to be near that mall.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                I'll be working my usual night shift. Not planning on going out, but I plan on playing a 6 year old game on a 9 month old console.
                Skyrim on the Switch?

It’s not that big here in Aus

I’ll be taking care of my sick little one, then doing the close

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  This is exactly how I feel. Now that I have Thanksgiving and Friday off and could shop I will not, on principle. The only thing I'll go for is groceries. There is no reason for me to be near that mall.
                  Same here. I work from home now, am no longer at the fabric store, haven't been since the middle of last November, so this is the second Black Friday that I won't be working in retail! I am staying the heck home! (Except for going to the Post Office on Friday, that can't be helped.)

Though to be fair, the fabric store has always been closed on Thanksgiving Day, all day, and in recent years has spread "Black Friday" sales to Wednesday and Friday, splitting up the chaos into more manageable pieces. I think that's much better than making employees have to give up their holiday and time with family.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm off today and tomorrow...wound up with some cold from hell probably from a CW (or public transportation, who knows...I did get my flu shot early though so it's not that). Planning to stay in today, I might venture out tomorrow. Mom's working today so we're planning to have our 'big' dinner tomorrow and invite a friend over.

And I just found out my debit card was compromised..woohoo. Luckily no money was taken as the bank's fraud center caught it immediately (I never increased the limit on the card so the big non-test transaction was automatically declined). I think I can track down exactly where/when the breach occurred, I'll see if I can get the timestamps from the bank when I go tomorrow to replace my card.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Sign spotted in a national chain store on Wednesday, next to the sign touting the early bird Black Friday sale

So that our employees can enjoy Thanksgiving with friends and family, we will not open until 8 PM Thanksgiving Day.

Comment

We're seeing all sorts of ads for national stores "Opening for Black Friday at 6PM Thanksgiving Day!"...not in my state.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I've been out of retail for years, though I am still working tomorrow. I refuse to set foot in a store today or tomorrow, period. To anyone that has to work today, you have my sympathy. For tomorrow, good luck, and remember that shoes are throwable as well as bludgeoning.
                          Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                          They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            Though to be fair, the fabric store has always been closed on Thanksgiving Day, all day, and in recent years has spread "Black Friday" sales to Wednesday and Friday, splitting up the chaos into more manageable pieces. I think that's much better than making employees have to give up their holiday and time with family.
                            Yeah, plus they added some decent online sales which I think also helped. Black Friday wasn't usually terrible in recent years, most people knew it would be long waits. Of course the horrid new manager tried to do an express lane at the cutting counter which is STUPID BEYOND IMAGINING, which confused everyone and didn't help at all. So yay that I'm not going to be there.

This is my first Black Friday I haven't worked in some years now. I wouldn't shop it (though one store tempted me with a sale on socks) but I couldn't anyway since they decided to do a semi-optional cleaning day at my work. We originally had Tuesday-Friday off, only working on Monday. They're installing new equipment and we can't do any production those days. We get paid 8 hours for Thanksgiving, so that's two days pay. Basically they said, if you're one of the ones hurting due to the days off this week, come to clean up after the installers for a short day. (I'd guess maybe 6 hours) Obviously I'm going in.
                            Last edited by notalwaysright; 11-23-2017, 07:58 PM.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I'm working a 3-11 shift at the hotel tonight then the 7-3 shift on Friday. As you can tell, I'm thrilled.

Comment

Currently embedded in the checkout line at the swamp. So many people.

ETA: note to self- if I decide to play music on my phone to pass the time, bring earbuds next year. Mastodon doesn’t exactly fit the holiday spirit.

ETA: shit overheard in line: “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is a lame movie.”

We’ve found a witch. May we burn her?

ETA: the po-po just went into the LP room. Somebody’s getting coal in their stocking.

ETA: I survived. Throw me a party.
                                Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 11-23-2017, 10:59 PM.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X