This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update regarding university I used to work at

I posted several threads about the university, including the Director of Parking and Transportation Services as well as her 2 employees, I worked at from 2006 to 2012 as a Visitor Parking attendant.

Too many threads to include in this update.

A current employee who works there came to the Kroger I work at as a cashier.

She recognized me when I would spend time in the library.

I found out from her the following...

The Director of Parking and Transportation Services wanted to make the entire garage *faculty/staff and visitor* automated. A new faculty/staff garage was build. Both garages were automated until the garages were flooded. Now the gates do not work.

So one of the Parking office employees works in that area full-time as well as 2 part-time students.

That leaves only 2 employees in the Parking office.

Her impression is that the Director of Parking and Transportation Services does not know what she is doing.

I remember those stories. Your managers didn't know anything back then. Sounds like nothing has changed except the scale of the stupidity.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
      Sounds like nothing has changed except the scale of the stupidity.
      And the cost of said stupidity. This will be a hard one for them to cover up or blame on someone else.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
        And the cost of said stupidity. This will be a hard one for them to cover up or blame on someone else.
        Would insurance cover the cost of the repairs?

Would flooding be considered something that is not covered by insurance?

Comment

Flooding is often *not* covered by regular insurance. If the flooding is caused by a separate covered event then the flooding could be covered. This would be rare with parking garages. Many people fought with their insurance post-Hurricane Katrina. If the roof came off first and the water damage was caused by rain through the lack of roof, it might be covered. If the water damage was caused by the water overflowing the levees and starting from the ground floor, it is not covered by regular insurance. In this case, since they don't appear to have money to replace the automatic system, it was probably not covered.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
            Flooding is often *not* covered by regular insurance. If the flooding is caused by a separate covered event then the flooding could be covered. This would be rare with parking garages. Many people fought with their insurance post-Hurricane Katrina. If the roof came off first and the water damage was caused by rain through the lack of roof, it might be covered. If the water damage was caused by the water overflowing the levees and starting from the ground floor, it is not covered by regular insurance. In this case, since they don't appear to have money to replace the automatic system, it was probably not covered.
            It was a tropical storm that caused the flooding.

The Director of Parking and Transportation Services wanted to automate both garages so that there would be no need to pay anyone to sit inside a booth and let customers know that there is a parking fee.

From what I heard from other employees who worked at the parking company I worked for during the time I was assigned to the university, the university was paying my former employer $3 million a year for a contract.

The Director of Parking and Transportation Services chose to end the contract in August 2012, but she only gave my employer 5 days notice instead of 30 days notice, which was indicated in the contract.

That was when I found out from one of the Facilities employees that the Director of Parking and Transportation Services wanted to 1) build a new faculty/staff garage and 2) automate everything so that there would no need to have to pay anyone.

Well... now the Director of Parking and Transportation Services is back to paying 2 student workers to let customers and faculty/staff members into and out of the garages.
            Last edited by snugglegirl05; 12-02-2017, 03:14 PM.

Comment

I note that Moody's (one of the big credit-rating agencies) has just warned that cities and states which don't prepare for climate-change problems are likely to get their municipal bonds downgraded.

ETA: An article from Moody's itself, including the warning.
              Last edited by Mental_Mouse; 12-03-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X