X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know it doesn't work

and you still tell us to use it?

I'm on an install. It's systems furniture stuff, cubicle panels. A standard connection for these is end to end, and joints at 90 degrees points of each end. But sometimes the plans call for an "off-mod" connection. This means that rather than making the 90 degree connection at the standard points, you need to connect the panel at the mid point of another. Sounds complicated and it is, most manufacturers don't even bother with these anymore. But this particular manufacturer, who happen to have extremely low standards in engineering, design, quality control, accuracy, just about any criteria you can think of, this manufacturer comes up with their own version of the off-mod bracket.

I take a look at it and quickly determine the only logical way it can work. I am not pleased. It requires me to drill it into place in the joining panel with precise measurement, there is roughly 1/64 of an inch margin for error. This is beyond the skill level that I am willing to employ, so I work out a cheat to get around it, and they can suck it if they have a problem with that. I get things set up and try to install it, only to determine that the screw that I put in to lock the bracket is preventing the bracket from engaging. A quick meeting of the minds with my colleagues confirms the problem.

So I shoot an email off to the office letting them know about the problem, that the great engineers of this wonderful manufacturer have once again come up with something that does not work.

Even though this was forwarded to the designer mid-morning, and he knew we were on site all day, he decided that it didn't warrant a reply until later in the evening, long after we had left site. Oh yeah, he was well aware that the bracket was a bad design. You don't put a screw through the screw hole, no, you drill a bunch of new holes and drive screws through there; something that is not only going to look like shit, it also has great risk for damaging the product.

I can't get over how casual he was about the bracket being improperly designed and unusable, requiring this complete custom rigging operation that would never be approved if I was the one who came up with it. This bracket was specifically mentioned on the plans, so they were fully aware of it's need, yet they didn't see the need to let us know that it doesn't work. Morons.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."
Working...
X