Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Scuse me while I jump out a window ...

... and since this is a one-storey house, I'll sprain my ankle so bad you won't believe it ...

Got home today to find a message from a really great job that I tried out for.

BUT ... the message just says "Please call me at [phone number]."

So now I have to wait until tomorrow to find out what the message IS ....

Yeah, like I'm gonna sleep at all NOW.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Good luck, whatever the message may be!
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

It's tomorrow!! What did it say??

Comment

I ... DON'T ... KNOW!!

We played telephone tag all day! So I STILL have no idea what's going on!

However ... things are also looking good at the place where I'm currently working; they appear to be now at the point of pondering how many days a week they want me to come in ...

So it appears that if I don't get the one job, I am in a good position to get the other. Either one means I get to wave bye-bye to The Mothership.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Another day with no news ... I called her office FIVE times ... either she hadn't come in yet, or wasn't in her office, or wasn't answering her phone ...

Second-last call I made, I left a voice-mail and asked if there was a specific time that was good for me to call her; if so, let me know and I would ensure that I called her at that time; otherwise I would just keep trying.

Got home tonight ... no message.

Seriously ... WTF ... why ask people to call you if you are unreachable?

And the first lawyer I worked for came up with some more work for me today ... and was asking what my Mothership hours would be like after Christmas. I wasn't thinking properly or I would have said, "Look ... I was hired there for my ability to work during the DAY. They were not happy with this arrangement but they agreed to it -- for two months. I can not promise that they will continue to agree to your work cutting into their time."

Want to ensure I'm available to work for you? Make me an offer. Even a long-term (a year or more) part-time contract would work.

One of the assistants is urging me to go talk to The Big Boss next week, which I will probably do.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Yeesh. That's really annoying. Still, please don't self-defenestrate. ;-)

Comment

No need to self-defenestrate as it turns out; I finally reached her. I did not get the job, but I'm not surprised: this place generally hires people "on call" and when they fill a position, it's usually with an "on call" person who's been there for ages. With a newbie like me, they know I've got the spelling and grammar and whatnot ... but apparently it's a madhouse and of course they don't know whether I can keep up with the pace.

The Big Boss of the firm I'm currently working for walked into "my" office last week ... to hand me a $100 Christmas bonus cheque, along with the comment that "everybody is saying great things about you." So ... I am going to talk to him tomorrow about staying on there. I hope they can offer me at least three days a week, guaranteed. The problem with the other job, of course, is that it IS on-call ... which means who knows when I'd get my first call and how long it might be. On the flip side ... the pay is AWESOME.

Either one would almost certainly cost me my Mothership job, so I will need to think about which would be the better option.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
              X