This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visits to Tennessee

I have to drive to Kingsport, TN about once a week, to meet my husband, who works in West Virginia. Kingsport is roughly halfway between us, about a 2 hour drive each, so it’s not too bad. I try to keep myself entertained, since the drive is usually done around 2 in the morning.

Well, I’d hit a deer about a month ago, got my car towed home, and got a rental. About a week later, it was time to drive up there again, so I did, and on the way back, had a little excitement. I’m supposed to drive 2 miles on one interstate and then get on another. Apparently, though, I was zoned out, and missed my turn and kept going west on interstate 81, and didn’t realize it for about 40 miles.

At this point, I turned on my gps, and wound up in a little town called Limestone, and saw the Davy Crockett State Park, and Davy Crockett’s birthplace. I thought that was pretty interesting, and after getting home via the very scenic route over the mountains, I looked it up, and discovered some interesting things about that part of Tennessee, such as it almost became a state called Franklin in the 1780s.

It’s interesting stuff if you’ve got to find ways of staying awake at that time in the morning!

As a resident of 25 years of this area, I can suggest lots of neat places to go for fun (free or dirt cheap), and geeky places too (kingsport has the only decent board game store in the region). PM me for suggestions.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I am in the area and we make several trips to Davey Crockett. Also in Greeneville is the Andrew Johnson Historical site with a museum and two of his houses to tour in addition to his gravesite. It is very interesting

Comment

I’ve seen the signs for the Andrew Johnson historical site on interstate 26. I’m taking my mother and her three students to the Hands On Museum next week, and we may get to explore a little in that area. I love that it’s not that far, only about 2 hours, and is such a historical area.

Comment

Couple of good places to eat in downtown near the hands on musuem. Main Street pizza is right down the block (walking distance), has amazing pizza. Freidburgs is a good place for German food. Holy taco is good, white duck taco, and a few others. All comfortable walking distance from the muesum.....assuming you can walk comfortably of course....but I'm talking 2-3 blocks
          It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I live in the shadow of Hell's doorknob aka wig museum, I don't remember much about the Kingsport area except some of the best BBQ to be had is available in the Piney Flats area. Ridgewood Inn and Partner's.
            While doing some family research I discovered that my great-great-great-great-great-garndfather after having fought in the Revolution returned to that area and had a hand in founding the State of Franklin. A few years later being an officer in the NC militia he along with others were charged in putting down the State of Franklin. Not long afterwords he and part of his family moved out the area and settled in southwest North Carolina.
            There's a nice museum in Johnson Ccity about Franklin.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

I have applied to be a tour guide for the Andrew Johnson site. If I get it I can leave working in a factory. Keep your fingers crossed

Comment

Fingers are crossed!! Hope you get it!

Comment

Working...
                X