X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
    They wouldn't take TWENTIES?!
    Yeah, that's a little weird. And very inconvenient, considering that very few ATMs give out anything smaller than a 20. I can remember when they gave out fives, but it's hard to even find ones that give out tens anymore.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      Yeah, that's a little weird. And very inconvenient, considering that very few ATMs give out anything smaller than a 20. I can remember when they gave out fives, but it's hard to even find ones that give out tens anymore.
      My bank's atms have started giving out 5$, 20$ and 50$. it will even prompt you when you withdraw if you want "Minimum number of bills" or the chance to enter some other combination. (and maybe some popular combinations, like 3x20$ instead of 1x50 2x5).

I suspect it is because cash is being used less and less that the bank can afford to have multiple denominations and not worry as much about running out.

In any case, unless everything in the restaurant was basically under 2$, I don't see the point in cutting off 20$'s. That would be pretty much the minimum bill that is commonly used and universally accepted nowadays.

Comment

The branch of my bank nearest to my house went the other way. It now gives out 50s and 20s, and the default is always "as many 50s as we can give you, and then 20s." So if you take out 100, you're going to get two 50s ... if you take out 80, you're going to get four 20s.

So if I'm not careful taking out cash, I get the disgusted glare when I pull out a 50 now. But it's all I have.

(Oddly enough, my bank's ATM on the other side of town still gives out just 20s.)

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          When I worked at Arby's I repeatedly complained to the manager that the food sign was in the wrong place or at-least a second one needed to be added. Customers in their car had to enter a lane that they could not exit from early, but they had to go around a corner before they could read the menu, and guess where the mic was, yes right under the menu. So customer had no time to decide what they wanted and our manager was always complaining about the amount of time needed to get an order.

I figure a second menu for customers to read early would cut the order times in half. But management is too cheap to pay for an extra sign even if it will pay for itself in just the first month of use.

Oh, I would so love to have a sign I can read before reaching the speaker.

Though at least Arby's has decent signs inside. I despise the changing electronic boards. I come inside to try to make my ordering easier than drive through because I don't know exactly what I want. Stop changing the signs while I'm trying to read them.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
            I always try to use the smallest bill I have, but there is one fast food place that has taken it to a new low. After you order and drive around to the window to pay, you are met with a sign that says "No Debit, Credit, $20, $50, or $100 until after 11:00 am." I stared at the sign as they told me my total and I said that I have a $20. I got hit with "Can't you read?" I sighed and said "If that had been on the order board, I wouldn't have ordered. Don't blame me for not following your new rule when you didn't give me fair warning until it was too late" and I drove off. I called later to let the manager know that I understand the reason for the sign, but the placement and the way I was treated was out of line.
            That's is very definitely a stupid place to put the sign -- it's a bit late, isn't it, for somebody who suddenly realizes they have ONLY a $20 -- and it's a bizarre rule as well. I can understand the $50 and $100 ... but twenties?
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
              I got hit with "Can't you read?"
              My answer would have been "Not from around the corner."

Comment

So I decided to drop by and see if they came to their senses and removed the sign. They did take it down so they could put up a bigger one (still only at the window where you pay.) Not only is it bigger, but now it's in color! Giant red "No" and all they highlighted each item in a different color. They loved it so much that they added another sign next to it...

"NO CREDIT, DEBIT, $20, $50, OR $100 AFTER 3PM"

So now the only time you can use any of those is the 4 hour window between 11am and 3pm

I have a bad feeling they are not going to be around too much longer.
                Last edited by Arcus; 12-15-2017, 03:48 AM.

Comment

/boggle

No Credit or Debit? I thought stores tended to LIKE Credit/Debit since it meant they didn't have to deal with cash exchanging hands. Sure it can be slower than Cash and probably a bit more difficult to balance the books after hours since each receipt has to be totaled up; but since they aren't taking anything higher than a 10, counting all the change they get likely takes longer.

I agree, this place likely won't be around much longer. Is it a chain or an independent business? If it was a chain, I'd send a note higher up to see if the chain likes the store throwing away business like that. (Not to mention pissing off customers and wasting product due to people cancelling orders at the window due to their policy)

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                    /boggle

No Credit or Debit? I thought stores tended to LIKE Credit/Debit since it meant they didn't have to deal with cash exchanging hands. Sure it can be slower than Cash and probably a bit more difficult to balance the books after hours since each receipt has to be totaled up; but since they aren't taking anything higher than a 10, counting all the change they get likely takes longer.

I agree, this place likely won't be around much longer. Is it a chain or an independent business? If it was a chain, I'd send a note higher up to see if the chain likes the store throwing away business like that. (Not to mention pissing off customers and wasting product due to people cancelling orders at the window due to their policy)
                    I wonder if almost all of their business is really small transactions? That's the only thing I can think of that would prompt this kind of nuttiness.

Of course, perhaps the sign lies a little and you actually can't use credit/debit anytime because they've been cut off by their processor.
                    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                      ... can't use credit/debit anytime because they've been cut off by their processor.
                      Do you think? Plus perhaps their bank du jour has gotten too many counterfeit $20s?
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                        /boggle

The bank/processor they work with also does take a small percentage cut of the transactions, which is a cost for the store. OTOH, less likelihood of counterfeits and fast change scams, as well as the safety factor of not having so much cash around, would at least come close to balancing that cost.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post

. What kind of idiot thinks it makes sense to pay for a $5.50 coffee with a $100 bill??

The ones around me that are running a counterfeit ring and are passing fake 50's and 100's.

Cappuccinos and counterfeits at Starbucks
                          http://www.wfmz.com/news/lehigh-vall...ucks/672251509
                          AkaiKitsune
                          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Working...
                          X