This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daylight Savings Grievance

When you live so close to the border of your state and work in the other, things get a bit screwy when daylight savings rolls around.

Why? Because the state I live in doesn't do DS but the other does. It's as stupid as it sounds and it's because the legislation can't get past the state politics.
    Anyway...

I work in a suburb that may as well be one big built up area, if the border wasn't cutting through the north and south. I work south of the border less than 10 minute's walk away. Crossing the border means you need to adjust your clock depending on where you go.

The worst part of all this? The local airport is 15 minute's drive away from my place on the NORTH of the border. You see the problem here? Early wake up calls and panic for people with no fore-planning.

I will admit that having to get up early for morning shifts can leave me grumpy, but it's the guests I feel the most sorry. Having to remind them about the time change, telling them to mind their phone clocks etc, etc. Incidentally, I just found out you can turn off the automatic GPS time tracker on the iPhone.

This still doesn't stop people sleeping in until the late check out hour and I have to ring them. That's perfectly fine because it's an accident.

The other day however, I had a tour group check in and the leader was completely oblivious to it. We had to explain to them the situation because apparently they had a flight at 4:30AM. If they were being safe, they would have to be at the airport at least an hour earlier, in which case 3:30 which is 4:30 our time. If they took at least an hour prepare, then I say they had to wake everyone up at 2:30 our time.

The point is, if you're going to be the planner and guide for a large group of people, at the very least know everything about your situation.

Then there was that time I had some guests staying at our place because they were attending a wedding in the area. When I told them about the time, they got a bit confused because their invitations didn't specify which time zone the wedding was starting. I don't remember the suburb either, so I forgot what happened after. But apparently they weren't the only ones.

To sum up, Daylight Savings is a bitch and whoever planned to put the airport this close to the border was an absolute madman.

Daylight Savings was a nice idea, most of whose critical failings didn't become obvious until after it was foisted on an industrial, heterogenous, society. The farmers already knew one of them: Cows don't read clocks. But it turns out humans are animals too, and arbitrarily messing with our daily cycle like that has seriously untoward side effects.

Unfortunately, now that it's the status quo, getting rid of it would take as much blood, sweat, and tears as most major national changes do. Even so, if we managed to get it overturned, we'd at least shake the twice-yearly spikes in traffic accidents and other products of confusion.

Comment

We need to get rid of standard time and keep daylight savings time, I hate it getting dark so damn early this time of year.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Cue my "standard, daylight, split the difference, dream up something else, I really don't care, just pick something and STICK WITH IT" rant.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Wouldn't that still be a problem if you lived at the edge of a time zone,regardless of daylight savings?Fortunately we don't have this problem here-our little island fits nicely into one zone.
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Add into this all the states that don't do sales tax and you have a bunch of confused travelers in different parts of the country. Can't we all just get along?
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I hate Daylight Savings. Because of it I'm at work before the sun is up and leave work after the sun is down. How is that saving any daylight? I liked it better when it was dark when I was getting to work, but got at least some sun after work. Didn't feel like I was living my life at night.

Comment

There was one point in the 70s where we did daylight savings time in the winter. I remember walking to school in the pitch-dark through the snow... It was, umm, different.
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I want more than 4 months of "standard time" This extended DST is stupid. I liked the old way with like 6 months standard and 6 day light savings.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                    Wouldn't that still be a problem if you lived at the edge of a time zone,regardless of daylight savings?Fortunately we don't have this problem here-our little island fits nicely into one zone.
                    We still have to deal with British Summer Time, though. I really, really hate that; when the clocks change back in the autumn I suddenly have to start driving into the sunrise again at a level that's too low for my car's visor to catch.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Where I live has it's own time zone and it can get confusing for visitors who assume that we're on Atlantic Time. Newfoundland is ahead by thirty minutes from Atlantic Time, and it really screws with tourists coming in on the cruise ships.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                        Where I live has it's own time zone and it can get confusing for visitors who assume that we're on Atlantic Time. Newfoundland is ahead by thirty minutes from Atlantic Time, behind by thirty years from the rest of Canada....and it really screws with tourists coming in on the cruise ships.
                        Fixedthatferya
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                          Fixedthatferya
                          Imma smack you for that! Wait...why do I get the feeling that you might enjoy it? :P

For the most part I agree though. The older crowd seems to be very stuck in the way things used to be and trying to get them to get even halfway caught up with the rest of Canada is a fight all the way!

Comment

With so many devices that keep time nowadays, if it doesn't automatically update, I keep it on daylight savings all year.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Down the east coast of Australia, we have 4 states and 1 territory. Only 1 state does not believe in Daylight savings. Queensland is the only one that doesn't have it. It is the largest on the east coast in land mass, but New South Wales (NSW) and Victoria have higher populations. It is also believed that like Newfoundland in Canada, it is about 30 or so years behind the times anyway so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Unless of course you are camping and it is 30+ degrees at the arse crack of dawn and you get woken up because you are being roasted alive in your tent. And no I'm not still annoyed at not being able to sleep in for the 2 weeks we camped nearly 15 years ago. I had to put sunscreen on before I could even leave my tent and it was too hot and bright to sleep past 6am. At least with daylight savings I could have had an extra 2 or so hours asleep before it got too hot.
                              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                              X