This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batter up...

Was working a shift until closing today (which I rarely have to do, thankfully), and got the mother of all "last-minute" shoppers.

STRIKE ONE

Dude comes up to the last open lane with about four minutes to spare, cart piled high with groceries. Okay, annoying enough...

STRIKE TWO

Dude does the, "Oops, left my wallet in the car!" routine, run out to get it while my manager helps to put the remaining groceries on the belt (and -- while I don't own a car myself -- who the hell leaves their wallet in the car? Keep it in yer pants or purse, you idiots! ).

STRIKE THREE

Dude comes back in and sheepishly informs us that he left his wallet at home.

He then calls up his wife as I'm finishing up bagging to tell her to bring his wallet while he waits. I go upstairs to punch out (about five minutes after I was supposed to), and leave, seeing a lone car barreling into the lot at top speed as I go (and it snowed pretty heavily yesterday, leaving the lot fairly slippery).

Fuck's sake, who does their entire week's shopping at 8:30 at night on a SUNDAY?! It's one thing when you have those last-minute assholes doing a quick beer run or to get some munchies for the big game, but an ENTIRE CARRIAGE, despite the increasingly stern warnings about the store closing every 15 minutes for the last hour? The guy at least had the tact to act apologetic about the whole thing, but how about checking your damn pockets the next time you go shopping before you hit the checkout lane, huh?

what a winner

and I felt dumb yesterday when I hit the market w/o my wallet but I threw on my hunting pants to snow blow the driveway and meant to change before going out.
    No sooner I walked in I noticed I was missing the wallet butt ache...crap home I went.
    Good thing I also didn't arm up that trip. Then again I put the pistol on I'd noticed the light pocket.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
      while I don't own a car myself -- who the hell leaves their wallet in the car? Keep it in yer pants or purse, you idiots!
      About 15 to 20 % of our towed in cars have wallets and purses in them, visible, and all the driver's ID too.

yes, I agree it's a stupid place to put them, the whole point of pockets is so you can carry them with you.... but I've long since given up trying to understand.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        About 15 to 20 % of our towed in cars have wallets and purses in them, visible, and all the driver's ID too.
        What little faith I had in humanity died when I read your post.

Things tend to go missing at work, so anything I can't carry in my pockets tends to get locked up in my console, in my locked car.

I sure do wish that common sense was more common.

Comment

It just makes NO sense to me...you go out to buy something, shouldn't the FIRST thing you do is make sure you have some money in your pocket? Who puts their wallet in their pocket/purse, goes out to their car, then takes it out and throws it onto the seat or dashboard or whatever? When I go out, my wallet is the FIRST thing I make sure I have on me after I've pulled on a pair of pants.

Comment

I lamentably forgot my wallet this morning, but I didn't leave it in the car, just in the wrong bag in my living room. Fortunately didn't need it today.

I have had the embarrassment of reaching a cash register only to discover an absent wallet, I have to confess.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I will admit I have left my wallet at home before going shopping. Only because I felt weight in my pocket and then found that twas my pocket carry piece. promptly went home and retrieved said wallet before returning to shop.

Comment

.... Who puts their wallet in their pocket/purse, goes out to their car, then takes it out and throws it onto the seat or dashboard or whatever? ....
                People with fat wallets.
                Or people with car seats that make sitting on your wallet really uncomfortable.

I carry my wallet in a front pocket, and lately a breast pocket, because it gets really uncomfortable to sit with things in my back pockets.

But I totally get your confusion about not checking: I check to make sure I have my wallet before I leave the house, I check again when I get to the store, and I will check again as I approach the registers. I will take my cash out at count it on at least one of those checks (and probably all three).

But about leaving IDs in the car, .... I don't smoke and I don't drink, so when I was young the only time I would need my ID was if I got pulled over. My Dad had given me one of those organizers that slips over your sun visor, and in addition to my registration and insurance card, I kept my license in there.

Even today, I carry two wallets: one has my ID and little else, and one has my cash, bank card, frequent customer cards and such.
                Usually in separate pockets.

Comment

Twice this past week, I have forgotten my bag in the back seat of my car when going into a store. The first time, I didn't realize until halfway through shopping. But luckily, my partner was with me, so I asked him to watch the cart while I ran out and got my bag. The second time, I realized almost immediately and just went back to the car before I started shopping.

In my case, I think it's a combination of 1. I try to only carry my wallet if I can, which I keep in my pocket at all times, and 2. if it's just me, I put my bag on the seat next to me, so I see it when I get out of the car (these two trips, my partner was with me, so my bag was in the back seat).

I felt embarrassed both times, but at least I only inconvenienced myself!
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

It just makes NO sense to me...you go out to buy something, shouldn't the FIRST thing you do is make sure you have some money in your pocket? Who puts their wallet in their pocket/purse, goes out to their car, then takes it out and throws it onto the seat or dashboard or whatever? When I go out, my wallet is the FIRST thing I make sure I have on me after I've pulled on a pair of pants.
                    I agree. I once went after work to get my hair done, and while waiting, realized I didn't have my wallet. As i ALWAYS keep it in my purse, I was freaking out a bit. The guy who does my hair owns the salon so he was fine with me paying later, but I was really upset as I had no clue where it was! Got home, and duh, its on the couch.

Comment

Remember men when leaving the house this little rhyme:

Wallet, Spectacles,
                      Watch, and Testicles.

Comment

I'd heard of that as the "Traveller's Cross", touching each in turn:

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

(Evidently that was from a time when watches were kept in your waist coat pocket, and wallet in a vest pocket. A modern version would be an upside-down cross....)
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

My poor brother has done that before. He had a 1 1/2 hour drive to the worksite, so had to be up extra early after a big weekend. Luckily he had to fill up the car before going further than the servo around the corner from our house. He filled up, then realised he had no wallet.

He had put his keys and wallet in the fridge on top of his lunch. In his half asleep state, he only grabbed the keys and not the rest of the pile. Mum had to run his wallet and lunch to him, but it was less than five minutes literally around the corner.

And of course we still give him shit about it. What else is family for?
                          A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

I've forgotten my phone and wallet before (not both at the same time); the cargo pockets on that pair of pants are actually too roomy and my work wallet is small and lightweight. My keys are attached to my subway pass, so it's hard to get far if I forget either of those.

Luckily on the day I forgot my wallet I didn't really need it anyway and one of the managers actually spotted me some money (he didn't have to do that, but it was nice to have some cash on me just in case).
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I rarely forget my wallet, but I do have a £20, $20 and €20 note stashed in my phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X