The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    they seem to know we don't have the ability or manpower to make them comply.
    With how dedicated the idiots are you pretty much need a security guard in some places if there's mandatory masks. It shouldn't have to fall upon front line workers to fight an ideological battle with the intellectual dregs of society.

I sincerely don't understand how people can be that stupid and self centered. Which is saying something considering my call centre years.

Comment

• Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
      It shouldn't have to fall upon front line workers to fight an ideological battle with the intellectual dregs of society.
      No, it shouldn't. On one paw we're told that all customers must be masked, on the other paw we're not only not allowed to say anything but are essentially forced into potential exposure.

Corporate is too cheap to spring for a security guard because "oh, [town] is a higher income bracket and doesn't have those problems"...but it's right on the main bus line from the lower-income neighborhoods where the stores have guards so we get the dregs that have been banned from there. The only time I recall us having a security guard was right after the Marathon bombings and the store may have had one when the panic-buying started.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• I do get irritated when I see masks worn incorrectly but what really gets me is walking in with mine and getting stared at by maskless people as if I were some kind of freak at Walmart. I've decided that I'm just going to believe that it highlights my eyes and people are just overtaken by their beauty. Yeah, that's it.... Tonight some maskless dude was miffed about something--out of a product, maybe?--and loudly and forcefull sighed, expelling air in the presence of several people. I just walked away. Forcing air out of your mouth without a mask is just reckless.
        Last edited by Food Lady; 10-26-2020, 06:44 AM.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• All the talk about masks just brings this to mind...

Wear a Mask (Be Our Guest Parody)

*Note: NSFW! It has some swears.
          Last edited by Arcus; 10-26-2020, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• I watched people just leave their shopping carts loose in the swamp's parking lot without returning them. For years. I understand completely why so many people think they don't need to follow the rules.

Google shopping cart theory for a goof time.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• So I went to get a COVID test. I had no problem making an appointment.

You have to isolate for 3 days afterwards. Fine.

You're supposed to get your test results online. Fine.

It's now 3 days and counting. Still no test results online.

The website says the results might have gone to your family doctor. My family doctor says no, they don't send the results there, they don't know why the website would say this.

My boss says most people get their results within 24 hours. I have had to call out sick for a third day.

The website says call the assessment centre. Nobody's answering; it's going straight to voicemail and it doesn't take messages. I hit "redial" repeatedly ... probably two dozen times before I finally get through.

I can't go back to work until I get my test results.

Update: FINALLY got through to the assessment centre, who transferred me to the results coordinator, who said it is a bit odd that my results aren't up yet, but not entirely out of the ordinary. She looked me up and said yes, I'm in the system but my results haven't come in yet, and she has no idea who told me 24 hours because it's more like 48-72 hours. Thankfully I have her direct number so if my results aren't online by, say, midnight tonight, I can call directly at 7 a.m. tomorrow and find out (again) WTF is going on.

Seriously ... does anybody actually think I would do this again??
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Our cases took a sharp spike recently, which is happening pretty much everywhere from what I understand. We had something like 2700 cases yesterday, shattering our previous peak of 1800 back in early April. This is the third time we've been over 2000, and it's been about three weeks since we were under a thousand.

We're both still working from home, so I guess I should at least be happy that we can still bring in our normal paychecks. I know a lot of people weren't so lucky. I got an email from my job yesterday that scared the hell out of me at first. The subject line said something about working onsite, and I thought "Oh shit! They're making us come back!" That would make zero sense with our cases spiking, but it wouldn't be the first stupid thing my company has done. It turned out that they were letting us know that IF we prefer to work onsite, we can now. I think I'll pass, since that would mean wearing a mask all day, even just sitting at my desk.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• FINALLY

Test results are negative. I do not haz da 'rona.

Unfortunately I've already called out sick for tomorrow. Oh well ... I'll be back there on Halloween ...

I didn't think it was the 'rona -- the symptoms are those I've been getting most winters -- but given that da 'rona exists, I thought I should get it checked out. I had been thinking about getting checked out every few months, just to be safe (mid-60s, diabetic, work in a grocery store), but wow ... I see I will have to plan ahead and book several days off work if I really want to get that done.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• You know I'm wondering, if I still had my call center job, and if I had had to go into the office at some point, would they make me wear a mask at my desk all day? Even though I would be on the phone? That would be rough.

Glad I don't have to worry about it.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                      You know I'm wondering, if I still had my call center job, and if I had had to go into the office at some point, would they make me wear a mask at my desk all day?
                      I think most jobs like that only require you to wear one when you're moving throughout the building. My wife's job said the same thing, and mine did as first as well. But then for some reason they decided that they want everyone to wear a mask even just sitting at their desks, unless they have to take it off to eat or drink. I'm constantly snacking at my desk, so that could be an issue for me. Thankfully, they're still letting us work from home, and I'm hoping that things are closer to normal before that changes.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• I don't quite understand wearing a mask on Zoom as I've seen some people doing. Speaking while masked can be difficult to understand even with perfect diction (I have seen specialized masks for vocalists/actors that allow for normal mouth movements); throw a spotty wifi connection/bad microphone into that mix and...argh.

Comment

You know I'm wondering, if I still had my call center job, and if I had had to go into the office at some point, would they make me wear a mask at my desk all day? Even though I would be on the phone? That would be rough.

I currently work at a call center. Masks are not required at one's desk (we're spread out enough for distancing), but must be worn anywhere else in the building unless you're at your desk or in the breakroom eating (have to wear it to travel between those two points).
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

You know I'm wondering, if I still had my call center job, and if I had had to go into the office at some point, would they make me wear a mask at my desk all day? Even though I would be on the phone? That would be rough.

My call centre was always an absolute plague pit. If one person was sick we all got sick. Because no one had fixed cubicles. Me and the floor supervisors shared the same desk. While the grunts just picked whatever cubicle they wanted/was available when they walked in.

They gave us wipes and told us to wipe the keyboards/mice when we came in but it never worked. The newbie grunts didn't even have an assigned headset yet and would have to grab one from a communal pool.

I assume they all have covid by this point.

Comment

• I might be working from home forever. Fine with me!
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• We now have a statewide curfew (goes into effect on Friday IIRC), but no actual mask mandate that is being enforced; it's still couched as "should wear a mask" and AFAIK very few municipalities are actually issuing fines (my management is still "well we can't force them to wear a mask while shopping"...but it's a requirement for entry and the public health order says "wear a mask all the time in public spaces", so why can't we exercise the right to refuse service if someone chooses to violate the public health order thus putting all of us at risk?).

Curfew is 10PM, which shouldn't affect my schedule that much as I fortunately have a very short foot commute and management will likely issue "essential worker" paperwork if they need to.
                                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-03-2020, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X