X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incidents of suck.

The Wannabe

In this town, we have basically two kinds of people. Those that have money and make it well known that they do, and those that don’t but try to put on as if they did, each equally as sucky in their own way. This is a story of one of the latter. Like most every laundromat I’ve been in, ours is an all-cash business. We don’t accept checks for anything and there isn’t a card reader anywhere in the building that would facilitate us taking credit/debit cards. On a very basic level, if you don’t have a pocketful of silver or a few pieces of green paper with dead president’s pictures on them, you’re SOL.

This lady comes in looking to pick up her clothes after we washed and folded them for her.

DL: Ditzy Lady

I was doing a load of wash for a customer when she walks up to the office. I greet her and then this:

DL: (looking down her nose at me) I’m here to pick up my clothes.
    ME: And the name please?
    DL: Ditzy
    ME: Here you go Ms. Ditzy. That’ll be $14.00
    DL: (reaches into her obviously fake Coach™ handbag, (the font on the “C” logo was wrong) pulling out her checkbook) Who do I make this out to?
    ME: I’m sorry, ma’am, we don’t take checks, only cash.
    DL: That’s rediculous. I write checks all the time.
    ME: I’m sorry ma’am, there’s nothing I can do. We only take cash.
    DL: (huffing) I’ll use my debit card then.
    ME: (oh crap, did she just notice me roll my eyes at her?) We only take cash, ma’am.
    DL: Wha... You... I... Why are you making this so hard on me?
    ME: You’re making it hard on yourself, ma’am. I’ve explained three times that we only take cash.
    DL: says nothing, having been horribly defeated by logic and truth, reaches into her purse and pulls out a small money clip.

She paid me with a ten and 4 singles which shocked me slightly. I truly was expecting one of two things; either her handing me a $100 bill or not having any cash at all. Anyway, she stacks her laundry baskets and carry’s them both out to her car which was...

wait for it...

a mid 80's, rusted Ford Crown Victoria station wagon...

with no hubcaps.

Fail²

It starts...

Well, the suck has begun over the impending price hike. Why do people think that I am the one who raised the price just because I work there? They are bitching because it’s going to cost them a whole 50¢ more per load. I mean, come on! You’re not getting any sympathy from me when you’re driving a $75,000.00 Hummer H2 with “24's” and a sound system that can be heard on the International Space Station.

No, I’m not bitter. Why do you ask?

Hey Bud. I know a nice lady with a cool Crown Vic I could introduce you to.

Some people’s children...

A lady came in on Friday. At first I didn’t notice anything out of the usual. As I watched for a while I realized that she was using a whole bank of 9 washers to do what would normally be two to three loads. Instead of the three or four basic washing groups, (whites, colors, etc.) she separated her whites into one washer, reds into another, blues into another, greens into another and you get the idea. Every color had it’s own washer. She did the same thing when she dried them. I didn’t say anything because it wasn’t busy and I figured if she wanted to spend $22.50 on what would normally cost $5.00 to $7.50, more power to her. Job security for me.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OK, I need to know. Is there a set or preferential way that people fold their underwear or are these people just being picky and want it done their way? I had another person (second one in a month) bitch at me because I folded his tighty-whiteys wrong. I lay them on the counter front side up, fold the crotch up to the waistband then fold the right part of the waistband over the crotch then the left part of the waistband over the right. What in the Benny Hill am I doing wrong?

This is a Laundromat not a bank X 2

1. Sorry dude, but coming into a Laundromat, handing me a $50.00 bill and asking for change for the parking meter isn’t going to cause me to add you to my Christmas card list, especially if you’re not going to put any of the change you want me to give you into one or more of our machines.

2. I don’t mind helping people out when I have time, but when you ask me to go through about $300.00 worth of rolled quarters to see if there are any Pennsylvania or Delaware state quarters, you’re not going to get as positive response as you think you are.
    Last edited by bigjimaz; 02-03-2008, 02:07 AM. Reason: Correcting grammatical error.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

OK, I need to know. Is there a set or preferential way that people fold their underwear or are these people just being picky and want it done their way? I had another person (second one in a month) bitch at me because I folded his tighty-whiteys wrong. I lay them on the counter front side up, fold the crotch up to the waistband then fold the right part of the waistband over the crotch then the left part of the waistband over the right. What in the Benny Hill am I doing wrong?
    Everyone is going to have their own way of folding their garments. How about a sign that says "if you are going to be all picky about how your underwear is folded please show us how you'd like it done so you don't get your panties in a wad later !"

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
      Is there a set or preferential way that people fold their underwear or are these people just being picky and want it done their way?

Frankly, they should be happy that someone else is folding their underwear for them. For that matter, they should be happy to even have a folding service available (no laundromat I've ever used had such a service). Be glad for that and don't bitch about *how* the laundry is being folded.

By the way, the way you do it is fine; folds them about as tight as possible short of rolling them up.

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
      but when you ask me to go through about $300.00 worth of rolled quarters to see if there are any Pennsylvania or Delaware state quarters, you’re not going to get as positive response as you think you are.
      Thankfully I'm usually not bothered for this, but seriously, people who do this are morons. Circulated coins are basically worthless unless they are uber-rare. State quarters are anything but. The only collections that will be worth anything will be those composed entirely of uncirculated coins.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
        Some people’s children...

A lady came in on Friday. At first I didn’t notice anything out of the usual. As I watched for a while I realized that she was using a whole bank of 9 washers to do what would normally be two to three loads. Instead of the three or four basic washing groups, (whites, colors, etc.) she separated her whites into one washer, reds into another, blues into another, greens into another and you get the idea. Every color had it’s own washer. She did the same thing when she dried them. I didn’t say anything because it wasn’t busy and I figured if she wanted to spend $22.50 on what would normally cost $5.00 to $7.50, more power to her. Job security for me.

While I *might* be able to understand washing each color on it's own, not drying it. To each his or her own, I suppose.

This thread reminds me... I need to take my comforter down and wash it. Its too big to fit in our washer/dryer at home...

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

But why would it matter how they're folded? You're gonna put 'em on eventually and they ain't gonna be folded then. Oh wait... that makes too much sense.
          My Wajas cave

Comment

If those people bitching about having to pay cash or bitching about how you fold their tighty whities can do it better then I would tell them to go out & buy their own washer/dryer & be done with it.

Comment

I guess I don't go out much. I've never heard of a place that folds your clothes and what not. Out here the laundry places are do it yourself. I guess the only place I could think of would be dry cleaning.
              Personally I wouldn't want a stranger (no offense) handling my underwear.

Comment

Sounds like OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) to me...

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                  Personally I wouldn't want a stranger (no offense) handling my underwear.
                  seconded-if I ever had the notion to have someone wash, dry, and fold my laundry you can bet I'd be doing the undies on my own-I realise it's just laundry, but still-eeew, I wouldn't want to touch anyone else's so I wouldn't make anyone else do the same KWIM?
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I dunno - just-washed underwear is fine to me. I don't see a problem with that. Now, unwashed . . . that's a totally different thing.

(Until we buy my blind friend one of these colour sensors, I'm helping her by sorting her washing.)
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                      OK, I need to know. Is there a set or preferential way that people fold their underwear or are these people just being picky and want it done their way?
                      People actually fold their unmentionables?

I don't. Takes too much time and effort.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I fold and roll my undies then proceed to put them away in a drawer divider in shades (i.e. lightest to darkest, left to right, back to front.) It makes it easier for me to find the undies I want and keeps everything organized. So.. yeah.... some of us kind of need to have things folded.

Then again, I'm the same person who absolutely CANNOT eat M&Ms or other multi-colored munchies in a movie theatre, or any place that does not have a flat surface. I can't just randomly toss stuff into my mouth without discerning its color and category and eating it in a certain order. It bothers me to the point of tears sometimes....and I try really,really hard not to let it run my life. O.O (when I lived alone, I had stuff organized alphabetically in my cupboards and had to have all teh labels facing out. Hubby won't do it as he's the 'grab and cook' type of person. I refuse to get into huge fights over something as asinine as which way a label needs to face....though sometimes, I can't help it. ) /off topic

HOWEVER, I wouldn't bitch someone out because he/she can't read my mind and folded my underwear left-corner in first instead of right-corner first then failed to roll it up.
                        "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                          People actually fold their unmentionables?

I don't. Takes too much time and effort.
                          If I don't, I can't fit them in my drawer, as space is at a premium in my room. I have one drawer for socks, one for undies. And there's almost no spare room with everything clean put in there nicely. If I had more room, I'd not bother.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

people let others fold their underwear? I'd be afraid my attendant was the creepy dude who sniffed men's underwear in the back room while doing...erm...other stuff

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                              While I *might* be able to understand washing each color on it's own, not drying it. To each his or her own, I suppose.
                              When I was in college one of my roommates washed a red shirt separately, but threw it in the dryer with a pair of jeans...the jeans still came out pink...

Quoth tigerlily0 View Post
                              Sounds like OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) to me...
                              Either that or she's taking the instructions "Wash separately with like colors" a little too literally...
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X