Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I walked right thru a freshly mopped spot at the mall (not intentionally, I didn't see it and there were no signs), and almost fell right on my ass. At the last instant, I managed to regain my balance and was OK.

Two seconds after my spectacular near-wipeout, the guy comes along with the "wet floor" sign.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

That is one lesson I learned from years of figure skating, was how to fall down. I had lots of practice during those years.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

My mom almost broke her wrists because of an icy parking lot. Luckily, she was holding groceries & kept holding them, instead of trying to catch herself. She's old enough that brittle bones is a concern, despite her overall 'good for her age' health.

While I was in college we had a sleet storm followed by freezing rain. Result: layer of balls of sleet, not quite like snow, under a layer of 1/2-1" ice. My favorite 'non-slip' footwear was my pair of 1" heel boots with the metal taps. The taps broke through the ice & the heels would lodge, enabling me to walk without sliding.
        I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

my mom has slipped and fallen on ice 2 times in the last 2 years and broke her wrist both times (same one)

once was at a gas station the other was at her place of work, yah she got paid and yes she was wearing shoes for walking in ice.
          "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

I don't fall often, and I've never majorly injured myself. I think my most classic fall though had to be while I was on the bus...

I had a pair of sneakers that were fairly new, and don't grip well on wet surfaces (no clue why. Baffled me when I took a header on a wet metal grating). It was massively wet on the bus from all the melt off people's shoes. And the driver accelerated from a stop while I was in the middle of taking a step. All this combined to me skidding and then going down like a ton of bricks. Of course, I was only down for about 0.25 seconds, and shouted "I'm okay! I'm okay!" No one believed me and checked on me repeatedly. Buncha nice people on that bus
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Igorina View Post
              If you're going to be walking over a lot of icy surfaces, you might want to invest in some crampons (sp?)

They are basically cleated metal plates you can strap to the bottom of your shoes for added grip.
              Be careful whenever you're walking on ice, even with crampons. Years ago I put a pair of crampons on my shoes and walked outside to the top of five steps going down to my driveway. The next thing I knew, I was flat on my back at the end of the driveway. Fortunately, I was not injured. Now the spikes on the crampons were somewhat dull, but still it pays to be careful on ice.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
              X