This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an attitude problem

I somehow ended up being talked into doing a double shift last night...14 and a half hours, half of which was in the kitchen, the other on the bar. Last night was my first unofficial night as the manager. I say unofficial because my promotion hasn't been finalised yet, but last night was the first time I was completely in charge.

Seeing as I was in charge, I was doing very little serving, only when we were extremelly busy. I had loads of other things to do and learn. There were a large group of people at the bar who had been in all night, and had managed to piss off just about every single member of staff. Finally, time was called and I could cash up the registers.

I go to grab a register. Oh great, SC comes up to the bar.

Me: I'm sorry sir, we've stopped serving.
    SC: Why?
    Me: We are only licensed until 1am. It is now 1:10.
    SC: Look, come on now, don't be stupid, you can serve me a drink.
    Me: I'm afraid I can't sir, I would be breaking the law if I did.
    SC: No you wouldn't. This country has a little thing called, you know, 24 hour drinking, so you can serve me.
    Me: No I can't sir. There may be 24 hour drinking laws in this country, but you have to apply to have that licence. We chose not to, and keep our opening hours reasonable.
    SC: That's a lie and you know it. I want to see the manager.
    Me: I am the manager.

I LOVED saying that. I should also point out that I am only 22, and I look even younger.

SC: YOU??
    Me: Yes.
    SC: You're a liar. Get me the manager.
    Me: There's no one else sir.
    SC: You can serve me, you are going to serve me, and you are going to serve my friends.
    Me: No I'm not.
    SC: You have an attitude problem.
    Me: Do I?

I am getting REALLY wound up at this point. The guy was talking to me in such a condesending manner that it was taking all my strength not to punch him in the face.

SC: Yes, we are willing to pay to stay here, to give you money to keep your business afloat. You are turning us down just because you want to go home early.
    Me: No I am turning you down because it is against the law to serve you.
    SC: You are being completely unreasonable.
    Me: I don't believe it is unreasonable protecting myself from getting a criminal record, oh yeah, and a PERSONAL £5000 fine.
    SC: You know what, you have a good night.
    Me: I will sir.
    SC: I bet you love your job, its a great job isn't it, barman?
    Me: It is sir.
    SC: I was being sarcastic.
    Me: Well I wasn't, I fucking love my job.

I walked off, he went to answer me back, but I was seriously going to punch him in the face. The way he spoke to me was disgusting, it was like he was speaking to a small child or pet dog.

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
    The way he spoke to me was disgusting, it was like he was speaking to a small child or pet dog.
    Nah, there's a chance he'd talk nicer to a small child and/or pet dog.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I think it's time he had an encounter with Mr. Salmon:

What an asstard.

Was he drunk?

Comment

I love that quote

And is it wrong of me to look forward to your many manager-like posts
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Well-handled! That must have felt GREAT.
          Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

Comment

SC: Yes, we are willing to pay to stay here, to give you money to keep your business afloat.
            Would they also have been willing to pay the fine you'd get? I'm guessing "no."
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

while thats a fun way to shut them down its more fun to drag the lincense out of whatever box it is in and point to the line that says operating hours

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
                I think it's time he had an encounter with Mr. Salmon:

What an asstard.

Was he drunk?
                Seeing as how he was in a bar, I'd bet the house on that one.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

SC: You are turning us down just because you want to go home early.
                  Actually, sir, as I pointed out just a second ago, we closed 10 minutes ago. So I will be going home late. Have a nice night - Somewhere else.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

lol. You are a great manager with an awesome attitude!
                    Check out my cosplay social group!
                    http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                      I love that quote

And is it wrong of me to look forward to your many manager-like posts
                      Same - I kind of have that attitude about my job - Good on you for standing up for yourself!
                      Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-17-2008, 08:00 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Comment

You rock! The world needs more managers like you who are not afraid to stand up to people acting like assholes! You are my hero!
                        "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                        ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

I am getting REALLY wound up at this point. The guy was talking to me in such a condesending manner that it was taking all my strength not to punch him in the face.

Something to point out here...it's a good ability to be in a managerial position, have these thoughts and not follow through on them. I don't think a manager who punches customers would be a manager for long.
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I think that you handled it well! And even if that guy was drunk, that doesn't excuse his rudeness! I don't think I could deal with a self-entitled jerk like that.

Comment

Working...
                            X