X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
    Thank goodness for weekly points...
    And remember those weekly points are there for you to use, not just to look at!!
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

mmmmm... 6" Italian BMT and provolone on Honey Oat with pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, sweet onions, TONS of olives and just a little oil and vinegar.

Not exactly "healthy", but oh NOM NOM NOM!
      hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
      1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
      2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
      3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

Comment

Original Poster

Hello,

I have never heard of Togo's, where are they? I have eaten at many sub shops. Subway, Quizno's, Cousins, Blimpies, Davanni's, Mancinni's, Erbert and Gerbert's and for me it comes down to the bread. Subway has the best and freshest bread. That being if of course the staff has been trained well. From experience, I worked at a Subway where no one on the day shift knew how to bake bread properly. Sometimes it is the staff's fault for bad sandwiches, but it is rarely the case. Subway also is by far the healtiest and has the greatest selection of toppings. The Tornado oven is also great for toasting subs with the toppings on already. Also, sorry someone mentioned the roasted chicken. Yes, that is also quite healthy if bland (to me). Also, do not assume that Burger King or McDonald's is inheirantly worse, I have made some disgustingly unhealthy sandwiches. Chipotle sauce is terribly unhealthy in any amount, the pastrami is huge amounts of greasy meat, the BMT is tons of greasy processed meat, and worst of all the Big Italian. Sometimes McDonald's would have been healthier. Also, do not blame the staff for not learning your regular if it is in an office building. That is a large number of regular's to learn.

Someone earlier asked about a couple of the events in my first post for details. For event number one, it was between noon and one pm at the Maplewood Mall. This is our traditional busy/ lunch period. Mall employees know this and tend to avoid it which is nice as it spreads out the rush, but bad because mall employees are some of our nicest and most regular customers in terms of service and order (they have and we know their 'regular'). This Penny's employee came before the rush to get her sandwich. She then returned and cut to the register to complain as that is generally allowed as they already waited in line once. She told the cashier that she did not like her sandwich and the manager/owner came off the line to talk to customer. She (the owner) politely apologized and asked what she (the customer) would like a refund, a replacement, simply to return it. The customer did not know what she wanted. The owner said that she was going to go back to helping on the line while she figured out what she wanted and she could grab her attention when she figured it out. The Penny's woman found this to be rude, yelled and cursed out my boss and reached over the sneeze gard/baine and punched my boss in the face, threw down her sandwich on the counter, and huffed off. The idgit had her name tag on at the time, so all we had to do is call security and send them down to her work with her name and description to arrest her.

For event four, at Subway we are supposed to close with two employees but we rarely needed two employees at closing outside of the Christmas season (yes, that is not politically correct). One night, around nine-thirtyish (we close at ten) a man walks up with his young child (probably around six or seven) who is complaining of being hungry as kids do. I found it strange that he had the kid out this late, but that is not my business to critique his parenting. He was not happy to be catering to his kid, but he was polite during the transaction. Five to ten minutes later, he comes back with his kid's round sandwich yelling (not complaining or telling but yelling) about how his kid's bread is hard. For those who have not worked in a Subway, we bake real bread, fresh. That means it dries out in a day/ day-and-a-half. Kids rounds are also one of our lesser sellers, just above honey oat so they can sit over from one day to the next. Unfortunate, but how it is. He yells at me about how we should have fresh bread. I politely tell him it was baked fresh that morning, but bread goes stale. Note that all this is being done while I am replacing his kid's sandwich with rejuvinated bread (spritzed with water to rehydrate it). He yells at me about how the first rule of bread-making is to throw out the "old shit". I tell him that we do not waste bread like that, we try to only bake what we will need and sometimes bread sticks around for a day. He does not accept this. He goes on and on about how he manages or owns (I cannot remember) a resturaunt fancier than Subway and that he tells all his cooks that old bread ("shit" is his exact word) is to be thrown out and not give to customers. I calmly ask him what resturant and try to reason with him that our proces do not allow for such profit margins as to thrown out day old bread and how we need bread ready right away in the morning. He does not buy it. He thinks that I am slighting him. Constantly berates me and whoever trained me for not teaching me the 'first rule of bread', "to throw out the old shit". This lasts for five to ten minutes. Of course the sandwich is free. His parting words were that he would never come here (Subway) again and that he would be complaining to my boss (I think he might have said corporate which is more rediculous as most Subway's are franchised and on the fringe's of control by Doctor's Associate Inc.) My parting thoughts were, "Thank God his kid was not standing there to hear that," and I am not even religious. Second note, this was all within less than half and hour of closing.

Signed,

Subway

Post Script: I am surprised that so many people responded so quickly. It is a little flattering.

Comment

Great, now I'm craving a 6 inch Subway Club on Honey Oat, with lettuce, black olives, a swipe of spicy mustard and a swipe of dill sauce

And the Subways around here don't have dill sauce, but the one in my hometown does

Comment

I have gotten to where I avoid Subway. I can't seem to justify six dollars for a combo that include a bag of chips and a sandwich with only 3 or 4 pieces of meat on it.
            I do like the veggie patty when I do go through.
            I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
            -The Amazing E
            Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Since eating at a Subway at RAF Fairford (actually a USAF base) I've never found one thats lived up to the challenge, so I don't visit them anymore.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I try to mix up my Subway orders - Pizza Sub, Chicken Teriyaki, Ham, Turkey...mmmm. Always on Honey Oat with lettuce, tomato, maybe pickle and bell pepper. And that's it. (I get apple slices!)

But my fave sandwich shops are Quizno's and Schlotsky's.

mmmmmm, sandwiches......
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Subway View Post
                  8: Anyone who orders a 'mayo-sandwich'. (for those who have not seen one, it is a regular sandwich drowned in about twelve or more passes of mayo, at their request, it is quite disturbing)
                  I'm sorry. I felt really ill seeing that. That is a culinary abomination. Now, ofcourse, I am intrigued and would like to know what sort of person orders such a horror.

And, I must throw my 2 cents in. Quiznos is the best franchsied sub shop I have had the pleasure of eating at. A hot sandwich is a good sandwich. Although I must say a pizza place or a private owned and operated shop is more often than not tops over all. Can't really do cheese steaks properly without a grill. Or chicken parm without a fryer.

Comment

Subway steak&cheese, on white, lettuce and mayo ONLY.
                    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Mmmm..... love Subway subs.

Been to a Togo's, got a free sub, was completely unimpressed, considering all the hype.

Tried Quiznos, (friend's left-over half), couldn't bring myself to finish it (nasty ass bread), and also despise their alternately disgusting and denigrating advertising. All that anti-Subway carp makes me think they can't sell a sandwich on it's own merits and have to sling a little mud to make themselves feel better. And that one with the guy who picks up a wrapper from a public trash bin on a city street and then licks it is beyond revolting.

We've got a Giant Grinder deli near my work that makes great sandwiches for really cheap. As for Subway's prices, if you're not having them pile on the veggies and stuff, you're doin' it wrong.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

All of you people talking about Subway are making me hungry. And of course, the dorm across the parking lot (that has a Subway in it) is closed because of break.

Oh well, in a couple hours I can go home and have pizza.
                        Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                          A Subway employee once looked like she was going to hug me when I told her it was ok they were out of whole wheat bread.
                          We talked while she was making my sub and she told me how some guy had just reamed her out for not having any.
                          Anyone who thinks the type of bread they're getting is THAT big a deal seriously needs a life.
                          Andara and I go to a convention three times a year. The hotel next to the one that the convention is currently contracted with has a Subway. We did a Subway run on Sunday.

Out of White bread. Out of Parmesan bread. Only things left, in fact, are Wheat and Jalapeno bread.

So they're out of the breads we like... no problem. We'll have Wheat. BUT...

They're pulling racks of Jalapeno bread out of the oven. They're putting more racks of Jalapeno bread into the oven as I stand there and watch. HELLO?!? How about a little variety going into the bread oven?!?

As for Gyro sandwich places, unless it's a genuine Gyro, Subway > everything else. Togo's and Quizno's are edible, but not as tasty as Subway, in my book.

Comment

Quoth Subway View Post
                            Hello,

I have never heard of Togo's, where are they?
                            TOGO's used to be owned by the group that owns Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robins, but now its a free standing operation, the way it originally was, and I think back in the original owner's hands, but I'm not sure 'bout that. As to where they are, not many places, there's something like two in the Phoenix valley, one happens to be right by me.
                            Seph
                            Taur10
                            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Hello,

Many different people order mayo-sandwiches. For instance, kids who do not put anything else on it, fat people, general idiots, usually men but sometimes women, people who cannot build a flavor based on vegetables; it is a wide spectrum. The alternative is the redneck-special the ranch sandwich. Apparently, ranch makes everything taste better to these people. As to why they were making more Jalepeno, we pan bread hours before the rush. It just takes that long to thaw, proof, and bake. They were most likely working through backlogues of bread that they thought they would need. Also, one bread is panned (especially specialty bread) it cannot be put back in the box. They would still have to wait to pan and prepare other bread. Things like holidays and conventions truely test the wisdom of resturaunt managers, do not blame the day-workers. They were probably using bread panned the night before.

Signed,

Subway

Comment

Quoth Subway View Post
                                They would still have to wait to pan and prepare other bread. Things like holidays and conventions truely test the wisdom of resturaunt managers, do not blame the day-workers. They were probably using bread panned the night before.
                                Well, this was at 3 in the afternoon, so I doubt it was stuff that was panned the night before. And if it was, the night workers need to be bitch-slapped.

The Subway near the last hotel the conventions were held at never ran out of bread that I am aware of, and the place had convention-goers in it pretty much around the clock, since both it and the convention operated around the clock.

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X