Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always hate it when I get a call from an unknown place, wanting someone that isn't home -- and they ask me for my name. Now I understand they have to have some proof they called, but one time I asked the person "doesn't seem fair.... you want to know who I am, yet I don't even have your fake name you use to protect your ID." The guy didn't hit the mute quick enough for a chuckle -- he replied with a fake one, as did I. So we were both happy.

Comment

I think that it's pretty funny when customers try to be friendly and use my name (we have to wear a name tag), and they pronounce it incorrectly. I slightly cringe at it, but can't be bothered telling the correct pronunciation. It's their fault that they don't even bother asking, they just try to Australian-ise it so I get an ugly high pitched sounding I in the middle of my name. Now that I think about it, they just break my name down to a popular name, high pitched I and then "car". When pronounced properly in English, it's a proper name, rather than an oddball combination of 3 sounds.

Comment

I have in the past asked for the names and/or any identifying numbers or whatever for anyone I talked to at call centers, when I have having a crapload of problems with my cell company. But, I quickly found out, that that doesn't even really help at all. I'd talk to someone and say "well, I talked to john doe about it on such a date, and he said this." and I get a response that is pretty mich translated as "well I don't know who the hell that is."

So, I don't bother anymore.
        "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
        "Red."
        "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
        "RED!"
        "..."

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
          Guilty. I'll ask for a name or something so I can identify later on. Because I've had cable reps tell me that a tech will "be there Wednesday between 8 and 12) and then when I call back when they didn't show up I am told they have no record of any conversation, and who did I speak to. Then I look a liar because I have no name.
          And when you call back and say "Yeah, John told me I'd have a tech today, and he's not here" do you get any further than when you didn't ask for names, and if so, how large is your cable company?

Quoth marasbaras View Post
          Regarding asking for names: when keeping notes one needs some kind of identification. I'm with the previous poster who says that asking for your operator ID # just sounds rude. I'm not sure I could do that.

That's all I want when I ask ... some way of identifying who I talked to for future reference, IF required.
          Why is it rude to ask for what you actually want?

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Actually, I always get a name when I'm contacting a call centre. I record whatever our agreement was, and the name and date. It's just a paper trail, and 90% of the time it gets filed for a year, shoved in our archival boxes for another six years, then shredded.

But sometimes I need to be able to say to another call centre rep 'okay, my notes show that we agreed X, what do yours say?' Just occasionally, keeping the paper trail is very helpful.
          I don't know what type of call centers you interact with, but you may want to consider asking for some other type of ID. I just sigh when customers say "John told me X" because I have no idea which of the 200 Johns they're referring to and they're going to get snippity when I can't transfer them to the person they spoke to last time.

Unless it bothers your employer, develop a name which you can give to customers which uniquely identifies you in your call centre on the dates you work. That's all the customer needs, and it's all a non-sucky customer wants.
          I am just one of many faceless drones here, even if I did make a unique name for myself 99% of the other people here aren't going to know me as anything other than my employee ID, and it's not like I can change any of our official records.

I can see how it annoys you, but please understand that the ordinary citizen is going to use 'what's your name' or 'what can I call you' - socially neutral statements unless you've worked in a call centre - rather than the socially loaded 'how do I identify you'.
          It's not a socially accepted question. The overtones of it to the general public are tones of lies, deceits, and aliases.

The intention - at least for the non-sucky customers - of 'what's your name' is 'how can I identify you'. But the overtones of the question are much nicer.
          If it was just the non-sucky customers going "You're so helpful Nikki, yes, you're such a good girl!" I probably wouldn't have made this post, but I have this conversation so much:

SC: I am going to take you to corporate, what's your name???
          Me: Nikki.
          SC: Nikki what?
          Me: We don't provide our last names.
          SC: WHAT? WHAT? *I* have to give *you* my full name! Are you ashamed of the horrible job you've done today? Rabble, rabble, rabble, rabble.
          Me: /sigh

I guess I just don't get why customers of a gigantic cable corporation (I think we have six million customers now) think that just a name is a good form of ID. Maybe my view is totally warped by having worked here, but I wouldn't ask an employee of any corporation for a name as a form of ID. Are call centers really the only environment where employees are identified to the public by a number?
          Last edited by Anriana; 03-22-2008, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Are call centers really the only environment where employees are identified to the public by a number?
            Pretty much, yes.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
              Are call centers really the only environment where employees are identified to the public by a number?
              That and the military.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
                And when you call back and say "Yeah, John told me I'd have a tech today, and he's not here" do you get any further than when you didn't ask for names, and if so, how large is your cable company?
                I don't recall saying I would have gotten further. The person I talked to asked me who I had spoken to, so if it does no good to get a name, then why was I asked who I spoke to? And in my 2nd case with the insurance company, again I was asked who gave me bad info, and again I hadn't asked for a name.

Sorry, but if saying "My name is ---" is that hard, then you need to get into a new line of work. I understand not wanting people to go "Okay, Matt, etc" and I don't do that all I want is to know whom I am speaking to, that way if I'm asked later I can give an honest answer.

It may not help me in the long run, but again, if these people (one was a supervisor) thought a name wouldn't help why would they ask me for it?

Comment

Please keep it civil, people. We can disagree with one another without getting personal and/or snarky....that's what SCs do to us, after all.

Thanks.
                  Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

I also hate wearing nametags. Usually I get bitched at because I have long hair and it covers my name tag.

Where I work we're supposed to ask the customer their name and talk to them like we're old golfing buddies. I refuse to say the customer's name. If I were the customer I'd be pissed if someone kept using my name like we were friends.

I'm sure some people like it and it may feel like we actually care but really I don't and I just want to give them their money and get them out. I know that sounds cold.

I get annoyed when the customer uses the name on my name tag.

I do get the ma'am thing too. Its usually people older than me who call me that. I'm in my early twenties and its kind of weird to be called that. I don't really like babe either and I hate it when I get called kiddo.

No last names are never okay. I make them up or refuse to give it out. But its funny I won't give up my stuff yet I get to know the customer's name, address and social. Go figure.

Sorry I'm sick and ranty today.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                      I'm sure some people like it and it may feel like we actually care but really I don't and I just want to give them their money and get them out. I know that sounds cold.
                      Not to me. If I'm in your line, I'd just as soon you gave me my money and let me get out.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I am currently working at a call centre and have to answer the call by giving my name (+ other stuff).
                        I have no problem with people having my first name, and will repeat it if asked as it does help to know who you spoke to last time (I can see all previous calls to our service and will also tell people who they spoke to last time and what they happened on that call - i won't just believe what the caller says!.

I will not give my last name, there is no need for it. I am currently the only *Fiyero* working for the service, I will give the site name if pushed which narrows it down to 30 staff - only 5 or so male. What annoys me is that one of the team leader has no problem giving her full name, and doesn't understand why some of us call handlers do!

Comment

In the pharmacy at CVS, we are required to wear name tags. Now, everyone there who is either an intern at my school ( myself and two others ) or graduated from my school's pharmacy program ( all the pharmacists I work with ) have our own name tags given to us by the school, and they have our full name on there, as well as "Pharmacy Intern" or "Pharmacist".

We are not required to wear these name tags, but we all do, more as a badge of honour than anything, I guess.

That said, I have no problem wearing my full name. If anyone, I would assume the pharmacists should worry, being that their full names are plastered all over everything. I'm just the messenger, so to speak, so I really don't have anything to worry about. I've never been reported for anything, to my knowledge.

I can understand corporate policies about no last names, though.

Most customers even have trouble remembering that my name is Steve, though.

If they remember my name is Steve, chances are they're a good customer, and therefore one who I want to talk to.

Comment

I have a lousy memory for names, just ask my brother, you know, what's his name.

So the only time I used customer names was when they paid by check or card. I'd peek at the name & use it in my parting spiel, "Have a nice day, Ms. Smythe." If they had an unusual name, I'd ask if I'd pronounced it correctly & apologize for mangling their name. I don't recall anyone ever getting upset about it. But then my memory resembles a leaky sieve.
                            I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
                              Amd the police, badge/collar numbers.

If I'm on duty and walk up to you and ask
                              So, what are you up to tonight?

I am lawfully obliged to give you my Name, Number and the station I work at, (in addition to filling out a 27 question form, but thats for another thread on another forum!)
                              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

We're required to wear nametags at our store, but it doesn't matter what names we put on them as long as we respond to them. I spent all yesterday as 'Katie' because I forgot my own tag at home (I did respond to that name, oddly enough), and I've seen other coworkers borrow the vendor tags and be 'Nabisco' for a day or something. Or switch tags, so John will be Debbie and Debbie be John.
                                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                                X