• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "do you have any idea how much money I make??"

I get this from SCs allllll th etime.

But they overlook a few key things:

1) I don't care
    2) The amount of money they have won't influence the way I treat them.
    3) I don't care
    4) The amount of money they make does NOT entitle them to freebies or special treatment
    5) I don't FREAKING CARE!

Throwing your earning power in my face is going to get you a whole lot of nothing, just because you think you are superior to me does not in fact mean that you are.

It's commonly men who throw this line at me and I'd love to reply "sir I can only assume that since you are making such a big deal of how much you have that you are compensating for certain shortcomings in other areas." That'll be the day.

Seriously, why the hell do people think money entitles them to better treatment? I can understand if they spent $1000 a day with us, but usually the people that pull out this line with me are on one of our most basic packages.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

That never did impress me when someone barked at me that they make X amount of dollars in a year. Still doesn't make you better than me.
    The suckiest customers are those who think they make a shit load of money & act as if their shit don't stink because of it. Like I'm supposed to go "ooooooh, ahhhhhh" "Let me get on my hands & knees & kiss your ass 27 different ways cause you make ALL that money! Oooooooooooh! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!"
    Gimme a break!

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      Seriously, why the hell do people think money entitles them to better treatment? I can understand if they spent $1000 a day with us, but usually the people that pull out this line with me are on one of our most basic packages.

Refer to the "Yes, that means you're a child" thread by unholypet. The SC in THAT story is allowed to puke, piss and otherwise destroy restaurant property and it's allowed because her parents spend alot of money there.
      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

"No, I don't know how much. Do you know how much of my royal a$$ you and your money can kiss?"
        "Sir, if you don't shut up, I'm going to kick one hundred percent of your ass!" - "Brad Hamilton", Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Comment

I was very lucky once... I had a customer ask me that very question "do you know how much money I make?!?" To which I promptly replied "not as much as you're letting on."

Fortunately the customer found that hilarious. And he got a lot nicer towards me after (the ONLY one he treated well -- the others he still treated like crap).

Comment

"You mean you don't know? You don't hang on to your check stubs?" would be my response.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              "You mean you don't know? You don't hang on to your check stubs?" would be my response.

Expanding on that: "Perhaps I could call your mother or your wife for you. I'm sure they would know."
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Thankfully my store is in an area thats too poor to be subjected to this sort of SC. Richest people that come in would be on the upper rung of middle class.
                - Boochan

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't realisise I needed to add the 100% rich bastard tax.
                  ludo ergo sum

Comment

If you're not spreading it around, why should we care?
                    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

"If you're making so much money, why are you handling these menial tasks? Most people in your alleged income group have assistants to do things for them."
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

"Certainly not enough to purchase some tact sir!"
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Of course the pairing of this kind is the "I'm a lawyer" or "I'm a doctor" kinds who say that before anything else. Again, working in a reasonably low-income area I don't get this too often, but colleagues who work in a store placed right in the CBD of my city apparently get this often. They response is simply "I'm a Salesman/woman/person".
                          - Boochan

Comment

It has been my experience that people who talk way too much about how much sex they are getting really aren't getting that much at all. Likewise, people who talk about how much money they make, probably aren't.

They need to feel superior to others, and as such, inflate their own self-worth, either by lying about how much they are making or, if they really are making that much, bragging about it. I have at various times worked with servers who claimed to make ridiculous amounts of money, completely disproportionate to the rest of the staff. Even if they were that much better than the rest of the staff--they weren't--their claims were simply ridiculous. Everyone on staff knew they were full of shit, and they only made themselves look stupid by making the claims. And it's not just that they were claiming to make so much, it's that they insisted on telling everyone about it. Those of us that did not have these psychological shortcomings would, at most, say "I had a great shift," and oftentimes only say that if asked.

Do I know how much you make? No. Unless you are paying me, I don't care. The fact is, my boss, the owner of The Bar, is almost certainly worth more than you are, you self-important twit, and he doesn't feel the need to brag about it, because he is comfortable with who he is, and happens to be a really great guy. But his money is not what makes him superior to you. The fact that he's a really great guy is what makes him superior to you. And it always will.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              How much of that goes to your ex-wife?

Comment

Working...
                              X