Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was I among the wretched? A quick scenario...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I among the wretched? A quick scenario...

So, I had lunch, paid, and got $10 in change back. Five of it was in $1 bills, and five of it was in quarters. The waitress apologized for giving me so many quarters, but said brightly, "Now you've got some quarters for the meters!"

I left her a four dollar tip.

In quarters.

Because let's face it, who wants to carry $5 in quarters around when they're walking around downtown?

I thought a $4 tip was generous for a meal that cost $10.95, so I hoped she wouldn't mind the quarters. Nevertheless, was I a bad tipper in this situation? I even stacked them up into dollars and left them in a row so she'd be able to see immediately how much of a tip I'd left.

So... Did I suck?
    Drive it like it's a county car.

So... Did I suck?
    If she gave you the quarters in the first place, she probably expected at least some of them back. I know I would.

$4 on an 11 is not a bad tip, quarters or no.
    "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

No. Being rude about receiving the quarters to someone who probably had no control over it would have sucked. Leaving a 36% tip, even in quarters, does not suck.
      ~Rhania

Comment

Well, I think that depends on her, whether she focuses on the fact that you gave her four bucks in quarters, or whether she focuses on the fact that you gave her four bucks in quarters, AKA a tip just under 40%. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say she had no other means if making change, and if I were in her situation I wouldn't be mad. Then again, I like change because it all goes in a jar on my windowsill until I can buy something shiny.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Thanks for weighing in. Like most CS'ers, if there's even a remote chance of doing something sucky, I fret and dither until I've practically worn a groove.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
            So... Did I suck?
            Not knowing about your personal life...

Seriously...I have to agree with everyone else. NO.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Heck, she'll probably just change them out of the register later after some more people have paid with actual bills (I'm assuming the reason she gave you the quarters in the first place is because they didn't have enough small bills in the till)...I imagine she'll have some place to stash them until she can do that, rather than carrying them in her pocket, so I doubt it's a big deal. Besides, maybe she has laundry to do!
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Money is money is money.

No you didn't suck. You tipped her well.
                "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

It was a nice tip. However, one could equate its denomination to someone angrily saying "thank you" sincerely.
                  "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Thanks for the affirmation, everyone.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                      It was a nice tip. However, one could equate its denomination to someone angrily saying "thank you" sincerely.
                      Well, I wasn't angry but to tell the truth the service kind of sucked. The food was good, but this was one of those "hip" restaurants where the staff gets paid to wear black and look good. I wasn't leaving the tip to say anything other than I appreciated them keeping my glass full the whole time I was there since, as it was a buffet, that's all they did.

Really, I honestly didn't want to carry that much change around. I was wearing khaki pants, not jeans, and I didn't want that kind of weight in my pocket. In jeans it's fine, but in thinner pants it can be annoying. So, I left a good tip and I left it in what was convenient for me.

Comment

No matter how it's given, you gave her a 36% tip. That is a good tip. It's not like you gave it to her in unrolled pennies. It's sixteen quarters. Three little ounces that she would gladly accept for the same reason that she gave them to you, meter food.
                        This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Nope, you weren't sucky. After all, now she has quarters for the metre, right?

Comment

When I eat at a restaurant (usually about once a month), I pay for the meal with a card (either debit or credit) but I tip in cash. Thing is, I always feel like a heel when I push 'No' on the pinpads when it asks to enter a tip amount.

As for the tip, I usually leave a $5 bill. A meal rarely cost me more than $20, and if it does I leave a little more (maybe a toonie more).
                            "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

No, you didn't suck. Now, leaving a $4 tip in pennies, that'd suck.

Comment

Working...
                              X