This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    You tell me, since I can't really be objective on Mom. Personally, I don't think she looks her age (she was 75 in this picture, will be 77 this summer), as no one in our family seems to look their age, and her hair, unlike my stepfather's, is hardly thinning or anything, as happens to a lot of older women. (Yes, that is all her real hair....no wig, no hairpiece, and nowadays, no coloring, either!)

In the first picture, it's my mom, my older sister, and my stepfather at (I think) my cousin's wedding. (Which would have been, I think, October of 2010.) The second picture is from January 2011 when the whole family gathered in Phoenix. From left to right you have Mom, my older sister, me, and my younger sister. I love this picture because I look really tall in it. I'm not. I'm only 5'8". But I look tall because my mom is 5' and slouches, my older sister is 5', and my younger sister is 4'11", though she claims 5'.
    Your mom looked great for 75 and I bet she still looks great!

Also, your family makes you look gigantic

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

I'd say leave it. I worked with a guy who would get his hair dyed, and it looked bad. It would fade unevenly on his grey, making it look splotchy on his dark hair. The blond guy I worked with got away with just having highlights added. On women it's a different matter though. I started getting grey hair almost 10 years ago, and now at 31 I have A LOT more. I have yet to find a hair dye that doesn't fade from them first.

Comment

I have what can be called 'skunk beard'. The exact middle of the beard has a stripe of grey in it. If I had my camera's usb adapter, I'd upload picts of it. Only real grey I have. Not going to dye it or anything though. Guess people will have to start calling me Skunkbeard the Pirate (cookies for reference..hint 'Jinkies')
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Now that I have a ginormous crush on a totally grey friend, I notice grey guys will automatically turn my head. My BFF says, "What happened? You used to be a cradle-robber!" Anyway, if you do want to color, a semi-permanent with no ammonia is better for curlyheads. I use Revlon Colorsilk occasionally because it's inexpensive, most colors have pretty much the same ingredients, and no matter which one I use, it'll fade anyway, since curls are more porous. So why pay 9 bucks a box?
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Beer Pimp

<snicker>
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Lindsey View Post
              Your mom looked great for 75 and I bet she still looks great!

Also, your family makes you look gigantic
              Yep, earlier this month Mom looked just the same as she did in those pictures!

And yeah, there's a reason I love that picture....I actually look tall! It's a rare thing, ya know. (And yes, there is a reason why I don't post pictures of myself with my friends Frank (6'5"), John (6'6"), Richard (6'6"), Jack (6'4"), or Jesse (6'3").

Quoth 24601 View Post
              I'd say leave it. I worked with a guy who would get his hair dyed, and it looked bad. It would fade unevenly on his grey, making it look splotchy on his dark hair.
              A couple notes on this. I have had my hair dyed once. A couple years ago for Valentine's Day, I dyed both my hair and goatee black...which is really only a couple shades darker than my normal dark brown, and not everyone noticed. While the dye disappeared very quickly from my goatee (before I even trimmed it), it stayed in my hair for quite a while. My mother's dyes also didn't seem to fade. Of course, my dye job was professional, and I have no idea how often my mother kept up on hers, but these are the only points of reference I have for how my hair might react.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              Beer Pimp

<snicker>
              Yep. Love that shirt. Got it from one of the local beer distributors, since that shirt not only described their job, but mine as well. Oddly, while my sisters are beer drinkers, they didn't find the shirt at all amusing. My mother, who doesn't drink, and if she did, would never touch beer, had no issue with the shirt. Weird.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Amusingly, my little sister was just commenting on facebook that she is going to get her hair dyed, but can't decide what color (nothing to do with grey, she just changes her hair color from time to time), and I commented that I was thinking about getting my hair dyed grey to get a jump on Mother Nature.

Still A Customer."

Comment

That is a trend. Also some women *ahem* have a thing for short guys as well.

Comment

Jester - your Mom's hair is beautiful! It isn't grey, it is that pretty silver that I'm so jealous of. If you think you have the same genetic luck - I say let your grey flag fly!

Comment

I should point out that my hair is not even close to being my Mom's, I am just starting to get SOME grey hairs, enough to be noticeable to a few people, but still only here and there. I don't think I'll really have a "grey flag to fly" for a number of years yet.

One of the concerns I have here is, as you may have noticed from the photos, my whole family looks younger than they are. (For reference, in those pictures, I was 40, Big Sis was 44, and Lil Sis was 39. Although my stepfather is not a blood relative, I dare say he doesn't look his age, either...he was 79 in that photo.) I rather like looking younger than I am, since I FEEL and ACT younger than I am, and frankly, am generally attracted to women younger than me. Not always, it's not a firm rule or anything, but generally speaking, yes. And the idea of going grey just makes me think that I am going to lose out on a lot of that, not just the dating, mind you, but having people think I am much younger than I am. Which I thoroughly enjoy, damn it! Even though I never lie about my age.
                      Last edited by Jester; 04-29-2012, 10:06 PM.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Better grey hair than no hair...lol.

Comment

So true. Well, some baldies are hot.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                            Better grey hair than no hair...lol.
                            Absolutely true, and I am thrilled that I only have to deal with the former, and not the latter!

Still A Customer."

Comment

They make men's hair dye to ADD grey to their hair. I can't see how it'd be an embarrassment to have grey hair as a man.

My dad's boss told him to stop coloring his hair and keep it grey, because it makes him appear more wise (I guess business-savy?).

I myself will never go grey, meaning no one will ever know that I am when that day comes. But I'm the most vain woman you'll ever meet.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                                They make men's hair dye to ADD grey to their hair. I can't see how it'd be an embarrassment to have grey hair as a man.
                                To each their own.

I am not so much embarrassed as I just don't like it. I'd be embarrassed if I was wetting my pants in public. This just annoys me.

Yes, some people would prefer to add grey to their hair. I am not one of those people. I also don't work in the corporate world, nor do I work a 9 to 5 job, nor do I wear a suit to work or have business meetings per se. Nor do I intend to any of that, in which some grey hair might add some perceived prestige or wisdom to the person doing it.

I have nothing against anyone who works in such a job, nor do I have anything against anyone who adds grey to their hair. But I really have no intention of doing either. I don't know if I am going to fight the natural grey, but I sure as hell am not gonna hasten it along!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X