This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character development question

Given that my character is under a magical compulsion to obtain and protect at all cost a particular item, and that she spent a decade or more getting close to the pirate captain who had it, and that she does not have any stealth-based abilities (but she can see in the dark), what would be the best way to steal it? (It being a necklace)
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

The obvious answer... Seduce him. Kind of expected, maybe even boring, unless you can come up with a good twist.

When might the captain take off the necklace? Does the captain need to live?
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Well they are pirates correct? They will, assuredly, attack another vessel at one point..during the chaos provided..kill the captain, take the necklace..and make sure it looks like either an accident or that the people from the other vessel did it.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

He does not need it to live. I don't really want to go the seduction route simply because he's human and I'm a Kajiit (by a different name).

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
          Well they are pirates correct? They will, assuredly, attack another vessel at one point..during the chaos provided..kill the captain, take the necklace..and make sure it looks like either an accident or that the people from the other vessel did it.
          A) the captain is still alive, and a npc.
          B) he is captain of a nation of pirates, and while he has a flagship, he does not engage in direct combat.

Comment

Hmm that does make it a bit harder. Don't recon your character would go to the 'fuzz' (whatever manner of police they have there) and turn in the location of the boss..so that during the chaos they could slip away with the necklace? If not..might want to check into poisons (even non lethal ones)...
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Well, this part takes place on the pirate's island that no one else can confirm exists, let alone find. So running to the fuzz is right out.

I also don't believe he'd take it off for any reason.

Comment

Yep, your character may have to get help (ie a coconspiritor) or learn about poisons. Knock his hinny out.

Comment

Well, this is backstory. I have to figure out how I did it, not how to do it.

Comment

Then don't explain it. Make it part of the character's myth. Everybody has an idea, but no one knows for sure. Maybe it was something terribly embarrassing and it is rumored that the captained killed the last person who asked. Only you and the captain know and neither are willing to tell.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Hmm. A magical compulsion can cause someone to act out of all character in order to fulfill it. On the other hand, it's obviously not urgent that you get it immediately, seeing as the compulsion allowed you to spend 10+ years getting close to it.

You've already ruled out outright theft and seduction. A sneaky assassination is out for the same reasons theft is. If you have any sleight of hand abilities you could poison him, either to death or to sleep, and then take it from him. You could manipulate him into giving it to you somehow. Get him to wager it on a bet there's "no way" he can lose, or give it to you for safe keeping while he does something dangerous.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I like that last one, as he ordered the whole pirate nation to kill me on sight...

Comment

Maybe switch it out with a look-a-like?
                          "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Easy: Set his ship on fire while at sea. Fire is a very big deal on a ship, and everyone throws in, or else they may all be swimming! A big enough fire will be all the chaos you need. If you can lay hands on a ring of water breathing, just grab it a pop over the side.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                            X