This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Geek King View Post
    because I thought it would be interesting to read Beowulf and the like in their original text.
    That's why I took a course on Chaucer, myself. Granted, I WAS an English major, but I had always wanted to be a CompSci major >_< The only reason I didn't go CS was because our college required Completion of college-level Calculus and some other similar math course first -- despite the fact that, according to my friends who ended getting a CS degree there, they never used anything even close to Calculus-level complexity in anything they did, even in Senior-level proggy courses. The official word was that they wanted to weed people out "make sure they could think logically" ...But I've never met anyone who would intentionally pursue CS as a "blow off major", EVER; if you sign up for a major like that, chances are that you already have a fair grasp of logic. Bah. I would up getting a CIS degree elsewhere after I graduated.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      ^ Um, what? I thought you were a 20-something!
      Nope! I turn 40 this year. But don't feel too bad; until I tell them, or they get clues from references I make, most people assume I'm 20-something.

Quoth EricKei View Post
      The only reason I didn't go CS was because our college required Completion of college-level Calculus and some other similar math course first...
      One of my friends (that I met in that archery class, actually) had the same issue. He wanted to get into Comp Sci, but because the math requirements were way overboard, he ended up in a computer graphics program.

I'm another that liked to take interesting classes to round out my requirements. Hence Archery, and Music Composition as part of my choices.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        The original ends to German fairy tales are violent, as in Goldilocks dies.
        Yup. I like to tell people "Well they call them Grimm for a reason" My "official" encounter with the Grimm boys was actually via a Linguistics course -- one of the major Laws in the field is called Grimm's Law. Guess what they did for a living when they weren't transcribing local fairy tales ^_^ (hint: same profession as the dear Professor Tolkien)

I was always under the impression that the olde-school fairy tales were more to keep kids in line and keep them OUT of the (legitimately dangerous) forest/wilderness areas -- which makes perfect sense to me -- as opposed to the American notion of entertaining the kiddles. Heck, ever read the original Red Riding Hood? They deal with the wolf by cutting him open (not sure why he doesn't wake up), pulling Grandma out (still alive o_O), and stuffing his gut full of large rocks until he can barely move, complete with the implication that he will eventually starve to death as a result...

The Little Mermaid bites it, too (fails in her mission and dissolves into sea foam); and the witch gets the boy, but that's Hans Christian Andersen, I think.
        Last edited by EricKei; 09-03-2011, 12:44 AM. Reason: andersEn not andersOn
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          The Little Mermaid bites it, too (fails in her mission and dissolves into sea foam); and the witch gets the boy, but that's Hans Christian Andersen, I think.
          The Little Mermaid is Hans Christian Andersen, and the mermaid bites it, but becomes an air spirit and will eventually get a soul (which is really what she wanted all along) as long as little kids are good, but it will take longer if they're bad. The boy in that one marries another girl and he lives happily ever after, none the wiser as to who the silent maiden entertaining him really was.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            The Little Mermaid bites it, too (fails in her mission and dissolves into sea foam); and the witch gets the boy...
            Let me tell you something about Hans Christian Andersen: Screwed-Up People Make Great Art. (Groovelily on YouTube from Striking 12)

That fiddle has 6 strings... And the fiddler is an ex-Army Lieutenant.
            Last edited by dalesys; 09-03-2011, 01:56 AM.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              ^-.-^
              Hrmm. Maybe it's been too long since I read it. But the point is made, all the same

Comment

Ngyaaahh~! other language nerds!
                :3 ... hai.
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  One of my friends (that I met in that archery class, actually) had the same issue. He wanted to get into Comp Sci, but because the math requirements were way overboard, he ended up in a computer graphics program.
                  We had to take the equivalent of a math minor in my college's CS program--sixteen credit-hours. The rationale then was that many programs would involve programming the computer to replicate higher mathmatics. Considering they suggested courses like Advanced Geometry and Statistics, it seemed to make sense at the time. Also, to be fair, our programming assignments did use some of of it, but equasions were provided for those who hadn't done the courses yet.

On wierd electives: I also took theatre appreciation, which was mainly for theatre majors, but anyone could take it for their "arts" credits. I even got kudos from the proffesor for doing my term project on Kabuki theatre. He said no one had ever done that one for the final in his entire tenure.

Honestly, I chose Kabuki mainly because I've always admired how they do their stagework. Yes, I admired their theatre for the engineering. Geek to the end, I guess.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                  X