Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic > Life Advice

I'm torn...I feel like I'm passing up an opportunity here...
Old 06-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Area Manager

Default I'm torn...I feel like I'm passing up an opportunity here...

Ok, here's the situation. Right now I have a relatively stable job at a solid company. I've been here just a bit over a year.

I'm passively looking, in that I'm willing to listen to recruiters/employers, and kind of see what happens.

The problem is, I've recently been contacted by a company that ticked several of my checkboxes under "company I wouldn't mind working for".

It would (mostly) be remote work. Let's say the Company is ABC Tech.

The problems I see are potentially:

1. I would be working for ABC Tech, but ABC Tech is a "consulting" company. So though I would be working for ABC Tech, the work I would be doing would be for other companies.

2. My current home Internet (which I'm working on updating) is super slow.

3. Skills. I may not have enough of a skill set. I don't know.

There may be others, but the positives I see are:

1. The job seems mostly remote (i.e. I can work from home).

2. It seems to pay pretty darn well. In fact, I could potentially get almost a 46% raise over what I currently make.

3. In lieu of a bonus, the owner of the company (who I talked to) said he likes to give people "what they want". I'm assuming that means up to a certain amount, but basically instead of giving me a bonus of, say, $1,000, I might get to pick out an expensive watch, or maybe a guitar, that the company would pay for.

This kind of seems like one of those "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" things.

Of course, he did say that he'd keep me in mind, and for me to contact him if I wanted to make a move.

I feel like I'm missing an opportunity here. But at the same time, I almost feel like, to a point, it's "safe" to stay where I am.

But at the same time, sometimes risks have to be taken.

Thoughts?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Loanshark IT

What is the worst case scenario? You take the job. It doesn't work out. You have to go job hunting again.

If that scares you, then stay at your current job.

If it doesn't, go for it.

One thing to keep in mind, the whole issue is moot until you get a job offer. Get an interview. If nothing else, it is good practice.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 PM
Long live Gaz

Definitely do some background research on this company. If it sounds a little bit too good to be true, well...
"I don’t know what English did to you or your family, but I cannot in good conscience sit here and watch you do this to it. You sir, are a monster." ~ Gravekeeper

"Don't weep for the stupid; you'll be crying all day!" - Fr. Anderson, Hellsing Ultimate: Abridged
"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you any further." – anon

Last edited by EricKei; 06-26-2018 at 02:21 AM.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:10 AM
I'm not bitter. I'm informed.

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
Definitely do some background research on this company. If it sounds a little bit too good to be true, well...
I second this. Try Glassdoor or something. I'd want to know more about this company before I jumped ship for them.

Last edited by EricKei; 06-26-2018 at 02:21 AM. Reason: ninja edit

Old 06-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Bagger

Would taking this job potentially break some kind of "anti compete" clause type of thing??
Do you have any holidays saved up - could you take holidays, work for this other company for a couple of weeks to see how it goes before you stay put or jump ship??

Old 06-27-2018, 06:10 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Shannarah View Post
Would taking this job potentially break some kind of "anti compete" clause type of thing??
Not to my knowledge, no.

Quote:
Do you have any holidays saved up - could you take holidays, work for this other company for a couple of weeks to see how it goes before you stay put or jump ship??
I do have vacation days saved up, but I don't think that's the way to go.