This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    This sounds very close to those scenarios where somebody with, say, musical talent is asked to come to a party and play an instrument or sing "and we can't pay you, but it will give you exposure!"

No, you're not a professional baker, but that hardly means that what you are doing is not WORK. And you should be paid for your WORK.
    Blah, hate it when people try to weasel out of paying by claiming it is "great exposure". My response usually goes like this.

Me: Can you fill your car tank or pay for your groceries with exposure?
    Them: no, but...
    Me: Can you pay your electricity bill with exposure?
    Me: Can you pay a doctor or dental bill with exposure?
    Me: then why do you think you can pay ME with it?
    Them: but it's not a REAL job! It's just a side hobby!
    Me: so that instantly makes my time worth absolutely zero? I still have to pay for materials, electricity, wear and tear on tools, plus it is time I could be spending on other things.
    Them: I never thought of it that way...
    Me: People like you never do.
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I once had a lady ask me to make frilly fancy doggie dresses for her boutique, and she was appalled at the price I quoted.
      "How come everybody charges so much??"
      "Because we have to pay rent too, ma'am."
      Never heard from her again.
      Last edited by MadMike; 07-31-2018, 06:09 PM. Reason: We've already read it, thanks.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
        Sorry, I mean a pound cake for 200 people, not dollars.
        That's about 10-15 standard pound cake recipes. What was your price quote? Just for the sake of morbid curiosity, of course.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
          That's about 10-15 standard pound cake recipes. What was your price quote? Just for the sake of morbid curiosity, of course.
          I didn't bother to figure out a quote. It'd be too much work at any price.
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

A few things:

1. I've told this story before. A friend of mine told me he knew a guy who was trying to get a website off the ground, and needed a solid developer. So I agreed to meet with the guy. I got the general idea of what he wanted, and he kept dodging me on how much he was willing to pay (and his budget), saying he would give me "a percentage" of the sales (also without telling me what percentage). I started doing a little work on it, which admittedly I shouldn't have. He dodged more on a contract for development, so I stopped working on it, and told him why. In hindsight, I should have shut him down right away.

2. I don't really do "side" programming jobs, but if I did, I think I'd run into the same issues a lot of you have. "What do you mean you can't make me a full website for $20?"

3. I've also considered getting into woodworking and leatherworking. I can just imagine what would happen if I tried to sell things I made in those categories. For instance, I wouldn't mind making chessboards. Just the boards, no pieces. If I made boards and tried to sell them for $100 (or more) I know I'd likely get complaints.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              A few things:
              3. I've also considered getting into woodworking and leatherworking. I can just imagine what would happen if I tried to sell things I made in those categories. For instance, I wouldn't mind making chessboards. Just the boards, no pieces. If I made boards and tried to sell them for $100 (or more) I know I'd likely get complaints.
              I recently saw pics of custom made wood cutting boards that went for like $750. These things were the sort that could last a lifetime, made of hardwood, and very pretty.

If I had a few million dollars, I'd want the guy to do my floors.

I'm taking a leave of absence in a couple weeks to finish my Master's degree. I'm tempted to start leaving business cards with my Instagram with the pastries, just in case.
              "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                2. I don't really do "side" programming jobs, but if I did, I think I'd run into the same issues a lot of you have. "What do you mean you can't make me a full website for $20?"
                I don't do side tax work (other than answering queries here) except for my mother and MIL. Both on paper. Mom's is usually a month after the deadline, so I get to call that her Mothers' Day Gift. I just started doing MIL's: her SIL, Mrs. TGK's aunt, started taking care a spouse with Alzheimer's, a retired CPA used to do MIL's returns. If I can finish MIL's within the next couple of weeks, we can call it a part of her birthday gift---she turns 89 this year.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                X