Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 AM
Puncher ... of Tickets!

Oooh, I didn't know they'd made a SNES Classic... I might have to go rummaging.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:59 PM
Old tech nerd, aka Dr. Optigan

Quote:
Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
Oooh, I didn't know they'd made a SNES Classic... I might have to go rummaging.
Yeah, it has lots of great games, including the previously-unreleased Star Fox 2. Plus, it's at least somewhat easier to find than the NES Classic Mini. I had to wait outside a Gamestop an hour before it opened to find an NES Classic, while I was able to walk into a Gamestop and buy a SNES Classic (albeit nearly a year after its release). According to sources, both should be available through the end of 2018.
-Adam

Old 09-01-2018, 11:09 PM
Paleontologist

I have a working Bernoulli drive and 8inch floppy drive. Classic PC games collector. I also have a new in box Trash-80 that a friend found in the store's attic while he was manager of a local Radio Shack.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Bagger

Quote:
Quoth Dragon_Dreamer View Post
I also have a new in box Trash-80 that a friend found in the store's attic while he was manager of a local Radio Shack.
While I've been looking for work, I've been going through my collection of vintage electronics. I have a TRS-80 computer with monitor that isn't working. I found out when I took it apart that it's missing its 4k boot ROM chip

There's also my Atari 5200 where I don't have a 100 percent working controller out of the 4 I have. Still, my 2600/7800 collections work well - one benefit of having one of the Flashback 2 systems is that the controllers work with the original. I did realign my C64 disk drives and fixed a solder joint on my C64C board, now I need to replace the bottom of the case which is cracked. I have a donor, but it's so yellowed...

Old 09-02-2018, 04:43 PM
Old tech nerd, aka Dr. Optigan

Quote:
Quoth Dragon_Dreamer View Post
I have a working Bernoulli drive and 8inch floppy drive. Classic PC games collector. I also have a new in box Trash-80 that a friend found in the store's attic while he was manager of a local Radio Shack.
Very cool! I have yet to find a Bernoulli Box (remember seeing a 5.25" Bernoulli II drive with 44MB disks in the main office when I was in middle school), though I do have a SyQuest 44/88MB external drive (haven't found any cartridges for it yet). Don't have anything yet which uses 8" floppy disks, though it's probably only a matter of time. My TRaSh-80 Color Computer 2 is still in its original box, though I dunno whether or not it's seen use. I have a few other computers with their boxes, though I doubt they've never been used.

Quote:
Quoth RichS View Post
While I've been looking for work, I've been going through my collection of vintage electronics. I have a TRS-80 computer with monitor that isn't working. I found out when I took it apart that it's missing its 4k boot ROM chip

There's also my Atari 5200 where I don't have a 100 percent working controller out of the 4 I have. Still, my 2600/7800 collections work well - one benefit of having one of the Flashback 2 systems is that the controllers work with the original. I did realign my C64 disk drives and fixed a solder joint on my C64C board, now I need to replace the bottom of the case which is cracked. I have a donor, but it's so yellowed...
Ouch on the TRS-80! Wonder what happened to that ROM. Finding a replacement shouldn't be terribly difficult, methinks. There's an active Tandy community on the Vintage Computer Forum, so you should be able to get some good advice on there.

Yeah, the 5200's controllers were its weakest link. Fortunately, they can be fixed by taking the controller apart, and cleaning each set of contact pads on the flex membrane using a Q-tip soaked in DeOxit D5 or another contact cleaner. An article on the subject can be found here.

The 2600's joysticks were fairly straightforward, and almost always work; the 7800 isn't too far behind, though the design was rather awkward, akin to the 5200 (I'm hoping to find a set of European 7800 joypads at some point, which ought to have been supplied with the system in the first place, IMO). The 7800 doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves, IMO; the specs were quite decent for its time, and if Atari had released it in 1984 as originally intended instead of shelving it for three years, it probably would've done better in the marketplace against the NES.

I'm hoping to figure out how to re-align Commodore disk drives at some point; I have several, at least some of which still worked when I last used them, though that was awhile ago. I have a couple of C=64Cs, both of which are rough around the edges, but they're generally intact. I typically prefer to use the original 'breadbox' C=64, though the 64C design is interesting. As for un-yellowing yours, as long as the plastic isn't too brittle, Retr0-Bright ought to do the trick.
-Adam

Last edited by AdamAnt316; 09-02-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:12 AM
I'm not bitter. I'm informed.

Quote:
Quoth Jetfire View Post
Well you'll still feel like you're in a timewarp, but I use a Sony Walkman as my music device. (Apologies for linking the Canadian site)

Granted for me, the fact that the one I own has a radio tuner is more important than having MP3 storage, but I do find them very durable. I've had my current one for 5+ years now I think and it's still holding up strong. For the most part putting MP3s on it is fairly simple, but it has been a long time since I've done that so I can't say much about it one way or another.
I have one of those. I remember using it in 1995, so yeah, it's been around a while. I don't use it much anymore because, while I still have my old cassette collection, some of them are probably not playable anymore, and I'd rather use my MP3 player (I don't put music on my phone).

Tags
1980's , laserdisc , obsolete tech , vcr