X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Aware: New Possible PIN Theft Scheme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vc-69M-UWk

In short: there is now a device one can attach to your smart phone, which looks like a smart phone case, that actually is a FLIR infrared camera.

Using this, a thief could potentially steal your PIN number. In the video above, the guy explains how it works, and provides a simple way to protect yourself from getting your PIN stolen.

So be aware, folks!
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Useful vid, thanks. Of course, another way would be to simply plaster you hand across the entire pad after pressing "Enter", as you pull the card out with your other hand...
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

LOL I love spy vs spy movies and books, and have had the habit of holding my palm on the keys briefly to fight just that happening as I enter my highly top secret access code ... ROFL. Nice to see that my odd habit is actually good for something =)
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder how a pen or a stylus would fare with foiling this.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
          Hmm, I wonder how a pen or a stylus would fare with foiling this.
          That was my thought as well.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

As someone asked in the comments on that video....how can they use the PIN code without the card? Won't they have to steal your card in order to use the code?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              As someone asked in the comments on that video....how can they use the PIN code without the card? Won't they have to steal your card in order to use the code?
              I wondered if since they have their phone out, they could take a photo of your card too and made a copy of it.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

The obvious tactic, which is already used by professional card gangs, is to obtain the PIN (by whatever means) and *then* steal the card.

Or to skim the card (take a copy of the magnetic stripe), so they don't have to steal it off you, and then they can use it in any country that doesn't have Chip-&-PIN (until the bank's fraud systems catch up with them).

Comment

Working...
                X