Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    Old Man Buddy Cat has lymphoma. Vet says 2-4 months, and as long as he is eating and drinking and content, let him be. New house rule: whatever Buddy wants, Buddy gets, from here on out. He follows you into the kitchen whining? Give him a treat. A handful of treats. He's sitting on you for an hour? Don't you dare get up. He's a spoiled old man and I intend to keep it that way.
    I'm so sorry to hear this. As greek_jester says, your new house rules are perfect.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I have seen many wildly differing opinions on The Rise of Skywalker. But no one has answered the really important question.

Are there Porgs?
      Briefly. *shifty eyes*

I took down the inside Christmas decorations yesterday and the outside ones today before it slightly rained again, only because I wanted to wait until I was done cat-sitting [yet again] Her Royal Majesty [aka the aunt's cat]. At least that's all done, now I need to start prepping the containers outside for my deck-based garden.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• Hey 2020!

In 2017 my dad died

In 2018 my last two remaining grandparents died

In 2019 my cat I had for 14 years died

In 2020 my other, terminally ill cat will die

Can we maybe take a break after that?
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Hey 2020!

In 2017 my dad died

In 2018 my last two remaining grandparents died

In 2019 my cat I had for 14 years died

In 2020 my other, terminally ill cat will die

Can we maybe take a break after that?
          I certainly hope that things get better for you, AnaKhouri.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I had moved most of my current cash into an account that I can't access with my debit card, for various reasons (like, rent coming up and work on my car's brakes that needs to be done). This cuts WAY back on impulse spending.

I bought a few groceries, including a bottle of the wine that I have discovered I really, really love. I did pick up two items not on my list: a bottle of adult chewable vitamins and a corkscrew (the one I've tried to use recently does nothing except destroy the cork, resulting in fibre in my wine that I do not want .... )

I bought the wine first, since the in-store wine niche closes long before the store itself. When I went to check out with my groceries, I didn't have quite enough cash left in my account to cover it all.

I put the vitamins back. And kept the corkscrew. Which says something about my priorities.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• If I was not such an angel I would comment on the fact that you can never go wrong if you're short of money but have a good screw you are able to offer....
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• We have to go to a wedding in June and also the rehearsal dinner. How does this look for a rehearsal dinner dress? Be honest. I like the mismatched top and skirt but is it too weird-looking?

https://www.zulily.com/p/magenta-ivo...omEvent=408752

Comment

• How formal is the dinner? It's lovely, but not really formal
                  My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

• I think they're usually casual. My BFF vetoed it though, which is good enough for me. I did end up buying this rad purple and red with skulls on it. Not for the rehearsal dinner obviously 😄

Comment

We have to go to a wedding in June and also the rehearsal dinner. How does this look for a rehearsal dinner dress? Be honest. I like the mismatched top and skirt but is it too weird-looking?

I thought the stripes on the top were too bold to play well with that delicate floral on the skirt. The proportions to me didn't really work together. Just my opinion.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

We have to go to a wedding in June and also the rehearsal dinner. How does this look for a rehearsal dinner dress? Be honest. I like the mismatched top and skirt but is it too weird-looking?

I think it looks cute, but I'm a guy so what do I know.

Mrs. IA, on the other hand, says it looks like a French street mime who stole the bottom of a ball gown.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Watching the Starlink deployment from SpaceX and Husband explains how the rockets are reusable.

Husband: They return to Earth and Musk has an array of drone ships to pick them up. The ships are named after ships from Iain Banks' Culture series.

Me: Oh my God, he's such a fucking nerd.

Husband: You read those, right?

Me:Every single one.

Comment

• If whilst we're working in the back room and can't see you,we can actually detect that you've entered the store purely by your odour alone it's time to do something about it....
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Is this person muttering things like "Buggerit!" and "Millennium hand and shrimp" ... ?
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Posted this on Facebook, but what the heck, I'll re-post it here.

Was chatting with a coworker the other day, and somehow I ended up discussing the Rashomon-style story structure. You've probably seen a TV episode or movie or read a book where this kind of narrative structure was used.

Well, as I was talking to CW about it, I got to musing aloud about how you could do a TV series using it, specifically structuring it like an after-action debrief/investigation. Like, there was a terror attack or high-profile assassination/murder or perhaps even a big-time heist, and the main characters are the investigators trying to piece together everything that led up to the event, with each episode serving as a POV episode for one of the witnesses/suspects/victims/whatever. Each episode would explore the backstory/motives/personality of the various characters, show the event from their perspective, but with notable bias or skewing. It wouldn't be until the finale that the "real version" of the event is finally shown, with the culprit(s) being revealed.

I tried looking online, and I didn't see any specific TV series that seem to use the Rashomon-style narrative structure for the series as a whole, only for one-off episodes. I know Lost did something like it for the flashbacks, since sometimes we'd see the same event from different perspectives, but it didn't happen too often.

I just think that this would be an interesting way to do a series. I'd picture it being like American Horror Story, an anthology series, with each season focusing on a different, probably-unrelated event/crime. The investigators would probably be the only recurring characters through the series, but if the events across seasons turn out to be connected, then recurring witnesses/suspects could be a thing.
                                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X