This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another cart hits a car and causes a minor meltdown

This one didn't involve me, but it happened in my lot on the job. A older man is loading a 80 pound bag of concrete into his car. I walk over to assist him, but he's able to get it into the car without a problem. His cart rolls out in the middle of the lot right as a woman is pulling out. He tries to reach for it, but is too late and the cart hits the side of the woman's car (an expensive looking SUV). She gets out to see what's going on, notices the cart and the man who explains that the cart rolled away from him. There isn't even a dent in her car (or if there is, it's microscopic). After a few seconds, she throws up her hands and says real sarcastically "Well that's AWESOME!" walks back to her car and drives away in a huff.

It was a minor meltdown, but seriously, what is it with people flipping out over such non issues?

I'm with the woman. Try to keep it nice and that kind of shit happens.
    I think her response was to scale.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Having had trash collectors take a tiny gouge out of the paint on my best car's bumper, and the *minimum* quote for reshaping and repainting to get a proper colour match approaching four figures... Yeah, it's not a non-problem.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

When I got my first new car, the second day I had it, I was in a baseball tournament and parked at the farthest end of the parking lot with literally 100 empty spots around me. Some asshole in a complete POS not only parked beside me, but inches beside me and dinged my door. It was only a tiny mark but something that should have never happened, caused entirely by the carelessness of a complete moron. Yeah, I flipped out.

Damage caused by the careless actions of others is not something you just ignore. The woman's reaction was totally reasonable.
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
          Having had trash collectors take a tiny gouge out of the paint on my best car's bumper, and the *minimum* quote for reshaping and repainting to get a proper colour match approaching four figures... Yeah, it's not a non-problem.
          But it's just a small ding, does it even need to be repaired?

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
            But it's just a small ding, does it even need to be repaired?
            That depends completely on the owner. To some people, it's 'just a car'; to others, it's a considerable investment, and even a small blemish can reduce the car's trade in by a couple thousand. And if you're an enthusiast, a chip or ding on a car you might have spent tens of thousands of dollars buying and/or restoring is a highly personal matter.

I fall into that last category; in 1990 I beat the snot out of the lowlife grit who keyed my Falcon less than a month after it had been painted. The bastard didn't know I saw him do it. I'm not proud of that, but damned if I'll apologize for it.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
              That depends completely on the owner. To some people, it's 'just a car'; to others, it's a considerable investment, and even a small blemish can reduce the car's trade in by a couple thousand. And if you're an enthusiast, a chip or ding on a car you might have spent tens of thousands of dollars buying and/or restoring is a highly personal matter.
              An investment, like to resell later? Hmm, I never thought of it like that (though it sounds like a very risky investment).

Comment

Leasing. That ding could cost them when the lease is up. While there will be a level of "normal wear and tear", the dealership will draw the line somewhere.

ETA:
                Although, if they were that concerned about it, she should have gotten insurance info from the guy.
                Last edited by csquared; 10-16-2019, 01:55 AM.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

*snip*
                  Good point. I have an old 'beater' so frankly, unless you do something that makes it unusable (like the idiot who backed into the driver's door of my previous vehicle, making it nearly impossible to open) my response is likely to be "Oh well." I have always seen a car as a box on four wheels that lets me get from A to B faster than walking.

Having said that, that's also one of the reasons I've never been interested in buying a brand-new car, because that would cause me to be a lot more -- er -- "responsive" to the slings and arrows (and dings and dents) of outrageous fortune.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I fall into that last category; in 1990 I beat the snot out of the lowlife grit who keyed my Falcon less than a month after it had been painted. The bastard didn't know I saw him do it. I'm not proud of that, but damned if I'll apologize for it.
                    "No trial, no jury, straight to fuckin' execution." [cookies for ref]

Comment

I'm of the "drive it until it dies" school of car ownership, so couldn't care less about resale value. I seriously question how those who have meltdowns if the four-wheel jewelry/surrogate phallus gets bumped by a shopping cart or some such trivia can bear to take Precious out on the road to encounter dirt (shudder), rocks (whimper), road debris (snivel), or other vehicles (wails of horror).
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        I'm of the "drive it until it dies" school of car ownership, so couldn't care less about resale value. I seriously question how those who have meltdowns if the four-wheel jewelry/surrogate phallus gets bumped by a shopping cart or some such trivia can bear to take Precious out on the road to encounter dirt (shudder), rocks (whimper), road debris (snivel), or other vehicles (wails of horror).
                        WELLL EXCUSEEEE ME.

Also not worried about resell of my house but I also don't shit on the floor.
                        I paid good $$ not to drive a shitbox I can put my own marks on it I don't others help.
                        Yes I'm that vain that I like to keep my car looking nice as possible.

On the flip side I don't get people who buy cars or guns and never use them. It's like not fucking your wife so the 2nd husband has a better lay.
                        AkaiKitsune
                        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                          WELLL EXCUSEEEE ME.

Also not worried about resell of my house but I also don't shit on the floor.
                          I paid good $$ not to drive a shitbox I can put my own marks on it I don't others help.
                          Yes I'm that vain that I like to keep my car looking nice as possible.

On the flip side I don't get people who buy cars or guns and never use them. It's like not fucking your wife so the 2nd husband has a better lay.
                          Exactly! I can totally understand why the lady was pissed off. Totally understandable in this case IMO.

Comment

Maybe just a tad of perspective? Annoyance is understandable. Psycho rages, including physical violence, maybe not so much.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                              Maybe just a tad of perspective? Annoyance is understandable. Psycho rages, including physical violence, maybe not so much.
                              Totally agree...I don't think the lady here went psycho...just showed the expected amount of annoyance IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X