X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dumb can people get?

http://thevpo.org/2015/01/19/no-good...es-unpunished/

A senate leader proposed a Latin motto for Vermont at the behest of a school child (as in ROMAN LATIN).

There were WAVES of unbelievable angry backlash from people about keeping America 'American' and that he was promoting illegal immigration, he was trying to make Vermont Mexican (doesn't even make sense!), etc. etc.

Yes, people are too stupid to know the difference between the ancient language of LATIN and LATIN AMERICA
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Just when you think they've hit rock bottom...they find a new low...

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
      Just when you think they've hit rock bottom...they find a new low...
      They ALWAYS find new drilling and digging equipment and make the hole deeper.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

We should always be careful about that query: There are people who will take that as a challenge.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Lock'em all in a big room.They'll starve because they refuse to go out through the EXIT
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Not exactly new. Back when Dog was a pup, some Showme-ian legislobber argued against teaching fern languages in the great state... Wave a Bible in the air and thundered, "If English was good enough for our Lord and Savior, it's good enough for our schools!"

Square are 4. Pi are 3. It should be the law...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Oh and the requisite:
              But what have the Romans done for us lately?

Comment

And let us not forget the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. That stuff is deadly, ya'll!
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Who here wants to see an end at long last to womens' suffrage?
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Yeah, they were sufferin'
                    Until suffrage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGHGDO_b_q0
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Wave a Bible in the air and thundered, "If English was good enough for our Lord and Savior, it's good enough for our schools!"
                      Fun fact: English is a modern (and evolving) language. The English of Chaucer's day (even though that's from over a thousand years after a key event in Christianity) is practically incomprehensible to modern English-speakers. Whatever language was spoken in (what is now) England back in Jesus' time, even if he were fluent in it (unlikely, since that language would not have been spoken in the Middle East), it would be gibberish to us (and vice versa).

Do the people angry about the Latin motto also consider the United States government (E. Pluribus Unum) and USMC (Siemper Fidelis) to be "unamerican" for using Latin mottoes?

Fun fact #2: Latin (the language) and Latin America are related - the relation being that the European settlers in what's now Latin America were from countries whose languages evolved from Latin (unlike English, which belongs to the Germanic family of languages).
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Latin (the language) and Latin America are related - the relation being that the European settlers in what's now Latin America were from countries whose languages evolved from Latin (unlike English, which belongs to the Germanic family of languages).
                        Oh no! That gives them even MORE to complain about!!!
                        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

"Modern" English also borrows a lot of words from other languages, okay, not so much "borrows" as "appropriates" okay, not so much that as maybe"knocked them down and rifled through their wallets and kept what they liked"

You've got no room to complain if THAT is your idea of an ideal language, and yet, it somehow became the de facto (see whut I did there?!) language of modern international trade, go figure.
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Latin is a dead language,
                            It's plain enough to see,
                            It killed off all the Romans,
                            And now it's killing me.

Supposedly written by a student of Latin back in the day...
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Always bet on stupidity

Comment

Working...
                              X