Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe I should just stop taking breaks ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe I should just stop taking breaks ...

I almost always work four-hour shifts, so only get a 15-minute break. I decided I needed to stop eating junk food during my break (okay, so the in-house pastries are good but they're still junk food ...)

Bought a couple of protein bars yesterday.

Halfway through one, I went downstairs and got a bag of Doritos.

Why does healthy food suck??
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    ... Why does healthy food suck??
    Because it is medicine and good for you?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      Why does healthy food suck??
      It sucks because our bodies evolved to crave anything high-calorie or high-fat, since getting enough food to survive in a hunter-gatherer culture is hard, and craving anything that gave you that little bit of extra energy was a necessary survival trait.

Now that food is abundant, those same instincts work against us as we are still craving things that we now need to eat in moderation, while lower-calorie, lower-fat food which is now better for us is rejected by our instincts as insufficient for survival.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Portion control is a real big one for me. See also: "There's only 1 actual serving size of chips: THE BAG" I make the choice when shopping to get small bags of whatever tempting/craving thing. I may WANT the big bag of flavored potato chip, but I can satisfy with the little 1oz bag you'd throw in a kid's lunch. I generally pick up a 50 bag flat for $14, which will last me a while.

As for the 'super healthy protein' bars... if they don't satisfy, you're in an environment where too many alternatives are available, so they won't actually serve their intended purpose. (other than some chump bought the overpriced little things, that is) Might experiment a bit and see if there's something a little more suited.

Comment

My retail shifts are anywhere from 3.5 to 5.5 hours and we don't technically get a break. (Yes, that's legal in my state.) The halfway point of my shift might be 5 or 6 hours since I last ate so I always have little beef sticks in my pocket that I can have really quick when I go to get a drink, if I absolutely need them. But it also often happens as it did today: I had lunch around 1:30 and wasn't hungry enough to eat anything at 4:00 before I left for work. I didn't get hungry enough to want to eat anything even up until 9:00 at the end of my shift. How does that work? Because I base my general diet on protein, natural fats, and fiber, my glucose and insulin levels are not raised too high. When I was eating low-fat, low-calorie foods I had reactive hypoglycemia and I felt like I'd pass out if I didn't eat every 3 hours. Now I'm totally amazed that I can go up to 8 hours without eating and not feel faint or really anything bad except a little stomach grumble. I have one or two meals a day and a snack.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
            Portion control is a real big one for me. See also: "There's only 1 actual serving size of chips: THE BAG" I make the choice when shopping to get small bags of whatever tempting/craving thing. I may WANT the big bag of flavored potato chip, but I can satisfy with the little 1oz bag you'd throw in a kid's lunch. I generally pick up a 50 bag flat for $14, which will last me a while.

As for the 'super healthy protein' bars... if they don't satisfy, you're in an environment where too many alternatives are available, so they won't actually serve their intended purpose. (other than some chump bought the overpriced little things, that is) Might experiment a bit and see if there's something a little more suited.
            I love the single serve junk food bags. See, I have been type 2 diabetic since 1980, and have been at a moderately steady 1800 calories a day for most of that time. Baked into that for the past almost 15 years by my current nutritionist is a 185 calorie a day 'junk food' [or healthy food, but she said it was free, I could dig into a bag of sugar with a spoon if I really wanted to rot my teeth] So, a single serve pack of whatever junk food appeals and works to kill any random junk food cravings i might turn up with.

If you want a good snack bar [protein, granola, whatever] you can find recipes to make them. I have a buddy who likes the more squishy type of protein bar, based upon palm oil, peanut butter and agave nectar with assorted stuff added and packages them in those do it yourself icy pop zippy bags so he can keep them in the freezer and pop them into his bag and not worry about them leaking - and he can sort of ooze them out of the zippy bag into his mouth like a gogurt =) [I just want to put alcoholic shakes and slushies in them =) ]

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            How does that work? Because I base my general diet on protein, natural fats, and fiber, my glucose and insulin levels are not raised too high. When I was eating low-fat, low-calorie foods I had reactive hypoglycemia and I felt like I'd pass out if I didn't eat every 3 hours. Now I'm totally amazed that I can go up to 8 hours without eating and not feel faint or really anything bad except a little stomach grumble. I have one or two meals a day and a snack.
            Historically we evolved to be hunter-gatherer omnivores - lots of moving around and grazing. If you look at mother nature, you see hi protein/hi fat [animals - yay meat =) ] low carb with reasonable high fiber [greens, shoots, stalks and seeds, since grasses and sedges tend to seed early and various species of them are seeding most of the summer into fall] and then late nuts and berries/fruits. So mainly fat, protein and fiber until fall then one gets the fattening stuff in toe to plump up for winter - when we dig up roots, barks and fallen nuts and fruits and dried berries still hopefully on the bush and eat critters [well I count fish and seafood among critters, some dont.]

When you understand how the liver manages glucose storage and release, you see your protein/fat/fiber based diet is fairly natural [even though celery is low carb, there is still residual carb that gets converted into glucose but fat gets stored then converted into glucose and other chemicals by the liver releasing chemicals to trigger it so one can go for a long time on ultra low carb diets and it burns off your fat. Just don't burn off your muscle mass by going into ketoacidosis...]

I think I have done under 150 grams of carbs a day most of the time for the past 20 odd years, though chemo screwed me up badly, i ended up eating a heavy carb 4000 or greater cal a day diet for most of the time I was on chemo and radiation [and I was still losing weight] but that is because my body was seriously messed up.

<an indicator of cancer being unusual weight loss is because the tumor cells burn glucose at a greater rate than normal so it boosts your metabolism better than 8 hours in the gym>
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
              Portion control is a real big one for me. See also: "There's only 1 actual serving size of chips: THE BAG"

Your not the only one. Same thing with drinks under 1L.
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I've been struggling with this lately. I've managed to lose some weight over the last year or so (went from 285 to 265) through cutting back on snacks and portion control. (I've also regained 10 pounds thanks to going back to snacking for a bit and the holidays.)

But with the new year, I'm making the effort again. Trying to cut back on the amount of times I eat out. I'd been bad about it with breakfast on workdays. I was hesitant about making breakfast in the mornings because one roommate works afternoons, and his bedroom is above the kitchen, and I was lazy, so it was McDonald's or Taco Bell. Then I'd get food from the cafeteria/food court for lunch. I was still trying to make dinner, rather than just order in every night.

Starting in the new year, I made a resolution to cut my soda consumption back to one per day. I've so far held to this (apart from having a Rum & Coke one night with friends). Then I found a recipe for egg cups that I can make and reheat at work for breakfast, so that's giving me the food my body needs in the morning. And I'm making sandwiches for myself to take in for lunch. (This week is turkey/harvati with lettuce/tomato and a bit of mayo.)

I've snacked a bit, but generally keeping it under control. It's a struggle, but I've so far managed to keep the cravings down by just reminding myself "No, you're trying to lose weight."
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

You could probably do fine just by having the Zero flavors of soda instead of cutting it out entirely. I personally can't make it without caffeine though so I'm biased
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I don't drink a lot of soda but I need a Coke Zero every once in a while. It's more for the taste than caffeine. I am a coffee drinker for sure. I really like seltzer.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                      You could probably do fine just by having the Zero flavors of soda instead of cutting it out entirely. I personally can't make it without caffeine though so I'm biased
                      I've been drinking Coke Zero for the past several years, but even I'd admit that it was getting a little out of control. And I drink my one Coke Zero in the mornings for the caffeine as well.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Regarding the flavor of healthy food: As heart doctors love to say, "If it tastes good, spit it out!"
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Regarding the flavor of healthy food: As heart doctors love to say, "If it tastes good, spit it out!"
                          If I could only have persuaded my mother that was why I was rejecting the pureed spinach, carrots, and other guck!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Heh, that reminds me of a quote I saw once. "Everything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening."

Comment

Working...
                            X