This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down to one job now...

Had a brief meeting with two people from the church's version of HR this morning, and was told that due to financial issues, they were going to have to let me go. Which was NOT unexpected, as I do know that we aren't doing so well regarding money, and the secretary position was eliminated a few years back under similar circumstances. (although I think it was vacant at the time)

Where it gets frustrating for me is that this is the second time when I've been laid off from a job, and it's NOT due to job performance issues......this is kind of hard to explain in interviews. Not to mention that my hours at the library don't work well around a second job, but I'm not planning to look again for now.......moving back in with my mom in December, so I'm focusing on that. (and thinking about maybe getting back into a few college classes once that's done)

Ask for a letter of recommendation. That way you can show future potential employers that you were not fired for cause.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The key here is that you were laid off, not fired.

Merely stating that your position was eliminated due to financial concerns should cover it.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        The key here is that you were laid off, not fired. Merely stating that your position was eliminated due to financial concerns should cover it. ^-.-^
        QFT. Laid off and fired are two completely different things. I'm trying to convince my recently-laid-off friend.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Well, I think this one will be a bit easier to explain in future interviews, because I can describe the situation without critcizing the church as an employer. Explaining why I got laid off from Macy's was a bit different, because there really isn't a way I could've said that the store wanted me to be available at times when they knew I couldn't work.
          Last edited by KellyHabersham; 10-26-2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

You could've said the schedule didn't work out for you anymore at Macy's. Totally understandable. As for the church, it's simple. The economy affects the members' ability to contribute. Your position has been consolidated with another that's held by a staffer with more seniority. All businesses have to cut back.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              You could've said the schedule didn't work out for you anymore at Macy's. Totally understandable. As for the church, it's simple. The economy affects the members' ability to contribute. Your position has been consolidated with another that's held by a staffer with more seniority. All businesses have to cut back.
              Actually, mine is the only "regular" office position other than the pastor, and I am definitely NOT being replaced - my understanding is that the church is going to try to go back to having the office staffed by volunteers. Which I'm interested to see how that works out, as when we'd done an "all-call" before about recruiting volunteers to cover for me if I should need to be gone, we didn't get much of a response.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                Explaining why I got laid off from Macy's was a bit different, because there really isn't a way I could've said that the store wanted me to be available at times when they knew I couldn't work.
                Scheduling conflicts. Your availability didn't change, but their needs did, right? Not much you can do about, especially if you were on the same schedule as when you were hired.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The golden words:
                  "The position was made redundant."

Avoids all potential negative connotations attached to "laid off". It's not like downsizing is unheard of these days.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    Scheduling conflicts. Your availability didn't change, but their needs did, right? Not much you can do about, especially if you were on the same schedule as when you were hired.

^-.-^
                    My understanding had been that it was some change done on the corporate level.......apparently they eliminated/phased out most of the part-time job categories for sales associates. So those of us who weren't able (or willing) to have complete open availability got laid off.

Comment

Working...
                    X