X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh goodness-- that's AWESOME!
    Way to Go, M!
    Just... make sure to learn the ettiquit too, and try not to make gender or 'ranking' mistakes... I've heard bad things. And funny things, but mostly bad/how terribly offended some people get when you talk to them like you would a punk by accident.
    Best of luck, 'specially with the Japanese language.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
      Huh, given your forum name, I assumed you already spoke Japanese, Green River San.
      I know bits and pieces, but mainly from watching anime. I'm officially learning the language now. As for the politeness levels, I know very well about that one, and especially in a business relationship, I need to be careful about it. I presume telling my coworkers in Japan that I'm still learning will help, but that doesn't excuse me talking down to someone either. :-P
      Coworker: Distro of choice?
      Me: Gentoo.
      Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
        I know bits and pieces, but mainly from watching anime. I'm officially learning the language now. As for the politeness levels, I know very well about that one, and especially in a business relationship, I need to be careful about it. I presume telling my coworkers in Japan that I'm still learning will help, but that doesn't excuse me talking down to someone either. :-P
        I spent a few months in Japan as a teen. One of the best ways I found to learn to understand the language at the speed it was spoken was to listed to the hourly news report. Generally, the same thing gets said for a few hours, so the first time you listen, you can write stuff down, to translate yourself. The next time the news is on, it is easier to understand, even at speed, and you can listen for the changes and translate those.

I found that after a few weeks, I could keep up far better than I could after learning in class - simply because the teacher in class spoke slowly so you could understand.

I also found that if you are getting congratulated on your speech, you still have a ways to go. Once they stop congratulating you, you're speaking well. When they start correcting you, you're speaking very well...

Comment

Oh good, you've gotten some culture in. Japanese animation and comics (or at least the ones that get put on the internet) are awesome.
          Also, draco, that is so cool. I'm going to hork your advice (with your name still attached, no fear) and save it to share with my Linguistic nerd-buddies.
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
          X