Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photoshop 5.1 64bit installed and started fine (and started very fast... Under 5 seconds).
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Just as an update -- Since I posted this, I found that Microsoft has made free, legal downloads of Windows 7 available for download, but you will need to enter your installation Key code to do so.

Download link here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Just as an update -- Since I posted this, I found that Microsoft has made free, legal downloads of Windows 7 available for download, but you will need to enter your installation Key code to do so.

Download link here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
        I'm wondering if I can download that to a DVD and install on my Vista laptop.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Wow. It's been a while Aaaaanyhoo. Update time.

MS has confirmed that anyone with a legit copy of 7 or higher gets 10 for free. There should be a little doohickey in your system tray by now that prompts you to enter your email address to "reserve" your copy. Pro and Ultimate users will get 10 Pro, lower-tier users will get 10 Home, and Enterprise users already have Software Assurance/included upgrades anyway.

What I did not expect was this: If you've been with the Win 10 Preview program and have registered with a proper MS account, you'll get Win 10 for free anyway even if you're on XP.

edit: This has changed and/or been clarified. See Dendawg's post, further on down.
          Last edited by EricKei; 06-23-2015, 01:46 PM.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            MS has confirmed that anyone with a legit copy of 7 or higher gets 10 for free.
            That is not totally true. I have two Windows 7 computers, both 64 bit. The desktop I bought this past January, and have the upgrade reserved for it. My laptop was bought in 2011 and MS Upgrade will not provide the Win 10 upgrade reservation for it. It might be possible to get it after it is released, but at the moment it is a no-show.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I do not have said "doohickey" (I have Windows 8.1, 64-bit on this laptop, purchased ca. August 2013). DH reports that he has seen and dealt with this on our Windows 7 desktop.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

IA - You still can get a free copy. No idea why it wouldn't show the "doohickey" - maybe it's part of an update session that didn't complete or something? The icon just lets you submit your email in advance so they have an idea of how many people are gonna want one in the initial release period.

Comment

I did get the little system tray thingie after a round of updates, and have duly registered.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

There has to be a catch.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      IA - You still can get a free copy. No idea why it wouldn't show the "doohickey" - maybe it's part of an update session that didn't complete or something? The icon just lets you submit your email in advance so they have an idea of how many people are gonna want one in the initial release period.
                      The "app" has been wonkey. So far as I can figure if you have a Win 7 copy that precedes the SP1 release it's not factoring it in, even if you have SP1 installed after.

This link has info on how to try to force the check. Failing that, this file will push it.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

LL - Thanks!

BrightStar -- Yeah, you're probably right. At least for the moment, I'm looking at it as a Gilette gambit -- "Give away the razors and sell the customers the razor blades" (Yes, Gilette literally did this, many decades ago...and it worked!)... Productivity software ain't cheap (but that's why OpenOffice and similar programs exist...), and they're hoping to increase their userbase. Maybe also cut down on techsupport calls from people with systems that haven't been updated in years (note: you CANNOT turn auto updates off if you're on the Home edition) and/or unstable pirated ones.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                          The "app" has been wonkey. So far as I can figure if you have a Win 7 copy that precedes the SP1 release it's not factoring it in, even if you have SP1 installed after.

This link has info on how to try to force the check. Failing that, this file will push it.
                          That is probably the case with my older laptop computer. Just have to wait until July 29.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It won't be free for the beta testers.

Dick move, Microsoft.

Comment

Well, that sucks. If I am reading it properly, you'll only get a free copy if you were already on a legit, registered copy of Win 7/8 on the machine used as a testbed for 10...Tho it would not surprise me if that covers 90%+ of testers. In other words, if you would have been eligible for a free copy anyway. Testers can still use the RTM for a while (indefinitely??) for free, though.

This same info in handy-dandy flowchart form
                              Last edited by EricKei; 06-23-2015, 10:05 PM. Reason: I charted

Comment

I have the dumb, I cannot brain. Let me see if I have this straight...

I have a computer with a legitimate version of Windows 7 (it must be, it came with the computer that I bought from a real store). I have the Windows 10 icon in the bottom right corner of my screen. This means I can download the upgrade to Windows 10 now and install it later? For free?
                                "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
                                X