X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics At Wells Fargo

https://consumerist.com/2016/09/21/w...ized-accounts/

Many former Wells Fargo employees claim they were fired when they tried to report unethical and illegal conduct to HR.

The scariest quote: "A senior business banker from Texas says she was fired earlier this month for something she didn’t do, after facing 'harsh bullying… defamation of character' for reporting illegal sales practices to the company’s ethics line.

The company claimed at the time of her termination that she had falsified documents, a charge she denies. A co-worker, who still works for the bank, confirmed the woman’s story, noting that it was 'really scary when you’re with a big corporation like this and HR doesn’t have your back.'”

The only thing worse than an incompetent HR Department is something like this, one that actively covers corporate and retaliates against whistle-blowers. I hope the fired employees file a class action suit and get some justice...

My cousin the cartoonist's comment: Wells Fargo Weenie Wagon
    Last edited by dalesys; 09-22-2016, 06:49 PM.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      My cousin the cartoonists comment: Wells Fargo Weenie Wagon
      He's your cousin? Cool! I've read many of his comics and I'm a fan of his work.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
        I hope the fired employees file a class action suit and get some justice...
        I have no doubt that there are already plenty of lawyer drooling over this case
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post

The only thing worse than an incompetent HR Department is something like this, one that actively covers corporate and retaliates against whistle-blowers. I hope the fired employees file a class action suit and get some justice...
          Unfortunately, that's their job. HR is there to serve the company, not the employees and not the general public. If they figure they can make a potential liability go away by firing the person who reports it, that's what they'll do. Salespeople are expendable, anybody who may be questioning if this is okay gets the message to fall in line or else, and the fired people just go away quietly because they can't afford to go up against Wells Fargo's lawyers.

Moral of the story: never trust an HR hotline for anything, not even the stuff they claim to exist for. Go straight to the police if you suspect something illegal is happening.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Moral of the story: never trust an HR hotline for anything, not even the stuff they claim to exist for. Go straight to the police if you suspect something illegal is happening.
            and this is why years and years ago I started calling these types of "hotlines" 1-800-RAT-FINK lines. Nothing is truly anonymous anymore.

That is one of the reason I will NEVER fill out a "culture"/employee satisfaction/managlement feedback surveys for any company I work for. YES they may claim it is anonymous AND they use a 3d party "(supposedly "independent" and anonymized for your protection) BUT they want your (here in the US) Social Security Number (yes for identification purposes only). Yes I can understand why (making sure the managler does not do all of the surveys for you) BUT that is a VERY important piece of indentification. and yes I am paranoid about certain things.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Here's an article on Cracked from a former Wells Fargo employee. Worth a read.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

https://consumerist.com/2016/09/26/f...l-termination/

And the class action suit is announced...

Comment

That's not necessarily surprising, eltf.

I'm waiting on another class-action suit from the people who got overdrawn and such from all these fake accounts and money being shifted around.

WF seems like they're in a world of hurt right now.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                    That's not necessarily surprising, eltf.
                    Not at all, it just happened much quicker than I thought it would. And $2.6 BILLION? That's a LOT of moola - they won't get nearly that much but even a settlement will be pricey. The good question is, how much of that will go to the employees and not the lawyers?

Quoth mjr View Post
                    I'm waiting on another class-action suit from the people who got overdrawn and such from all these fake accounts and money being shifted around.
                    Agreed, the customers also have a legitimate grievance. I see WF making these people an offer to avoid another class action suit...

Quoth mjr View Post
                    WF seems like they're in a world of hurt right now.
                    And THAT is the understatement of the year!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                      And $2.6 BILLION? That's a LOT of moola - they won't get nearly that much but even a settlement will be pricey. The good question is, how much of that will go to the employees and not the lawyers?
                      Well, $2.6 billion divided amongst 5,300 people is about $490,566 per person.

You're right that they won't get nearly that much, but that is indeed a lot of moolah.

Agreed, the customers also have a legitimate grievance. I see WF making these people an offer to avoid another class action suit...
                      I'm not sure what sort of offer they could make to some of them, though. People getting overdrawn is one thing, but some of those folks lives were seriously put through the wringer.

Comment

This sort of thing (top brass say "Don't under any circumstances do anything unethical/illegal", then set goals which can't be met without breaking ethics/laws, and which if not met result in draconian punishment) is fairly common in trucking.

Dispatch LOVES to give assignments that can't be met under HOS. Why? Because customers (both outbound and inbound) have their loads ready in the late afternoon and expect next morning delivery, and sales doesn't take HOS into account when making promises to customers. Of course, the top brass pipes up at a safety meeting that over half the drivers are falsifying logs, and this has to stop NOW. A driver responds that dispatch assignments can't be met legally, and the response is "This isn't about dispatch - it's about drivers falsifying logs".
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

What is going to be really fun for the customers is getting WF to TOTALLY remove any records (as in NO records is allowed to exist) of overdrafted accounts from ChexSystems -- The national central database consumer reporting company that tracks overdrafts and bad checking/saving accounts
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            This sort of thing (top brass say "Don't under any circumstances do anything unethical/illegal", then set goals which can't be met without breaking ethics/laws, and which if not met result in draconian punishment) is fairly common in trucking.
                            Can you drive from Atlanta, GA, to Texarkana, TX and back in 28 hours? I know some guys who want some beer...they'll pay you for it if you can do it...

Of course, the top brass pipes up at a safety meeting that over half the drivers are falsifying logs, and this has to stop NOW. A driver responds that dispatch assignments can't be met legally, and the response is "This isn't about dispatch - it's about drivers falsifying logs".
                            Another example of "Solving the wrong problem".

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                              Can you drive from Atlanta, GA, to Texarkana, TX and back in 28 hours? I know some guys who want some beer...they'll pay you for it if you can do it...
                              In my car, with NO cargo either way, I might try it (roughly 1200 mile round trip, based on Shreveport LA - close to Texarkana, which isn't in the mileage chart on my atlas). In a truck, no way - it's pushing things for 2 days worth of driving. With cargo, no way - I'm not a U.S. citizen, so it's illegal for me to do a point-to-point move in the U.S.

BTW, my car isn't a Trans Am, and both the Sherrif/father of the groom and the guy who hauled the load are dead.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X