Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And then there is us poor Aussies and Kiwis just trying to figure out the context of things based on where the author is from.

The school grades make so much more sense now though.

Talking about puddings: how did no one include Yorkshire pudding? Mmmmm so good. The recipe is close to a pancake one but it is eaten as part of the main meal, usually served with a roast.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Put the tea down!

Comment

To the many people asking about Yorkies (Yorkshire Puddings) I did suggest reading the Wiki article which includes them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudding
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
          To the many people asking about Yorkies (Yorkshire Puddings)...
          They're made from puppies?
          No wonder my mother made them all the time!
          Last edited by dalesys; 05-03-2017, 01:29 PM.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            So mostly pudding is just dessert. Except when it's not.
            Pretty much. To quote Alton Brown:

There was a time when pudding meant just about anything boiled or baked.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Genuinely curious about the "biscuits and gravy" pic on page 1, for our friends across the pond: What would you call those two items?

Do you have a specific name for a milk/cream-based gravy with bits of (pork) sausage and black pepper in it? I have heard the term "scone" used for what US-ians would call "biscuits," -- but, when I hear "scone," I think of something like this, rather than those yummy, flaky, tender buttermilk-&-flour hunks covered in sausage gravy...erm, brb, breakfast...:

Last edited by EricKei; 05-03-2017, 03:16 PM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I don't think they have milk gravy. That's the problem. I think their scones are our biscuits but with less fat and more liquid.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Now biscuits and gravy would be weird....That's like having a couple of custard creams with gravy over them instead of over the Sunday roast....
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Speaking of puddin'...
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

For some reason, IA, that reminded me of an exchange from the early 90's Batman animated series:

*HUGE BOOM*

Harley> screams "PUDDIN'!"

Batman> "At this point, he probably is..."
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Cream Gravy: butter, flour, and milk.

Oh man...add a little salt & pepper...good stuff.

I wonder what you folks over in the UK would think of chicken fried steak.
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

For the uninitiated, CFS is basically Weiner Schnitzel with cream gravy. Done properly, it's wonderfully tasty.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            For the uninitiated, CFS is basically Weiner Schnitzel with cream gravy. Done properly, it's wonderfully tasty.
                            Probably one of the best-tasting things anyone, anywhere, could eat.
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

On a different note, is iced tea really not a thing in the UK? Not even unsweetened iced tea? You'd all hate the tea I make. One is a southern sweet tea. (okay, I reduce the sugar a little because it literally hurts it's so sweet) Another is tea plus a half a frozen condensed cranberry juice. I think the recipe is called Boston Iced tea, and it's amazing.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Seconded on the CFS. Love that stuff. I need to find someplace around here (aside from Cracker Barrel) that serves it.

Wanna really blow some minds? Introduce the concept of "Sun Tea" It's iced tea, but brewed without the aid of hot water, or a kettle at all.
                                Last edited by EricKei; 05-04-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X