Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always tried to avoid shopping on holidays. My 86 year old mother flew out to stay a few days with us and then go to a convention in Phx on Thanksgiving. Holy cow, the freeway was so empty that a drive that usually takes an hour and a half only took 50 minutes.

Mom had forgotten that she wanted to bring food to the potluck, so we stopped at a grocery store for her to buy something. I was seriously shocked by all the people with full shopping carts. I was expecting to see people running for 1 or 2 forgotten items, but buying the entire dinner at 11 am was not.

The drive home was wonderful as well. Then the storm hit.

At 2:30am power went out from Prescott to Black Canyon City because the storm blew down 6 or 7 power lines. Prescott and Prescott Valley also got a fair amount of snow. Power here came back up around 2:00 pm, but started going back on earlier in more populated areas.

I don't know what happened to the stores or workers, but I have heard talking heads saying that shopping was way lower than normal.

The reason I'm updating this thread is because today I went to lunch with an ex-coworker from the food stamp office (which is open the day after Thanksgiving). Which also had no power, so no computers, phones or heat. They did have flushing toilets, so all workers had to drive to work and stay there until/if region gave permission to leave or 3 hours had gone by lest they have to use their own PTO instead of getting the day off.

Power came back up at 10:30, the intranet was up by 10:40. I am so glad I'm retired now!

Comment

Ours wasn't so terrible this year, to be honest. It was busy, but very few people behaved like idiots. Probably due to the squad cars sitting out front. And we were fed well from Thanksgiving all the way up through Cyber Monday.

The weekend leading up to Christmas was the same, even the good food the bosses provided.
      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
      X