This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Thank You!

Just want to give a big THANK YOU to everyone here who has donated, as well as donors everywhere. I've received blood twice now, and would donate myself, but cancer patients can't donate for five years. Blood donors rock!

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
      For the canadian blood services (now since Red Cross got that bad rap due to tainted blood), you CAN select to not have your donation used to help others.

Its confidential, you just select the NO barcode and your blood is not used. The other barcode is removed and you stick it to the back of the sticker so that they can't tell, then its' discarded.

I dunno why, honestly, but you do have the option in Canada.

I try to donate blood, but a lot of the time my Iron isnt' high enough or my blood pressure
      There is that option in the USA also - I guess an "easy out" without being embarassed if you weren't quite honest and knew it? But AFAIK, those are discarded entirely and aren't tested for AIDS or the other tests the do (some for research purposes). I'll have to check next time I donate.

And MysteryGlitter (sorry, couldn't remember how you spelled your name!), don't EVER, EVER look at the needle! If you need to get your blood drawn, the best advice I've ever gotten is to look the other direction and breathe out when they are sticking you. You're so focused on the breathing that the pinch seems smaller. Just don't start exhaling too soon!
      Last edited by Reyneth; 12-09-2006, 11:43 PM.

Comment

yeah i used to need blood tests every month or so due to thyroids and i had shots every night for many years due to growth hormone deficiency, probably both from the same gland causing the problem who knows, and i still cant look at the needle when giving blood and the last couple times i almost backed out, it still freaks me out even if its already in, especially with iv's

Comment

Okay, y'all...back at home and armed with my notes and textbook (Case Management Practice: Skills for the Human Services, Nancy Summers) Class - Case Management/Assess/Planning

A few things of interest:

Release of Information Regarding HIV/AIDS ch. 1 pg. 11

In most states...HIV/AIDS status must specifically state that you may release information regarding the client's HIV status. All references to HIV/AIDS must be deleted from the record unless the client signs a separate form that specifically states that you have permission to release this information...If the client has not given you written permission, you must delete all references to HIV/AIDS, including the fact that he may have been tested and the test was negative.

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability ACT (HIPAA) ch. 1 pg. 14

It was passed in 1996 in part to ensure that people did not lose medical coverage when they changed jobs. Title II of the act contains the security and privacy mandates. Most social service agencies must adhere to these rules...unless they are in a state where the laws are more stringent than this federal act, the state laws take precedence.
          Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 12-10-2006, 03:05 AM. Reason: typos
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I find it vaguely amusing about the people here who can't give blood because the nurses can't find your veins. Not that your plight is amusing in any way, but because I am the exact opposite....I got Veins A-Poppin'!

Seriously. My ex-girlfriend's mother, who is a nurse, once described my arms as "A Nurse's wet dream." (Her words, not mine.) She once asked me if she could "practice" on me. (I declined. We had other issues between us, and I was not about to volunteer to let her stab me with sharp objects.)

So, the one time I was in the hospital for this or that reason (I can't recall) and the nurse taking my blood MISSED my vein, I looked at her, and said, "You're new, aren't you?" Cleared her tension right up when she saw I was not offended or bothered by her goof, just amused.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

I don't know this guy from Adam but I really can't get on any for whether or not they give blood. That's you're own decision and I know lots of people that don't for whatever reason. I know some that are deathly afraid of needles, some that have AIDS and can't, some that have had Hepatitis and can't, some (like me) that simply are't allowed to (I'm 5'7" and I weight 105 -- I've NEVER been allowed to give blood), so that really doesn't mean anything as to what kind of person he is.

Now the fact that he barged in and DEMANDED the mobile be moved, that's not cool. But the not giving blood thing does NOT automatically make him a bad person. That's his business
              "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                I have a needle phobia that is so overwhelmingly bad that I literally can be reduced to a quivering pile of uselessness at the sight of one. The poor nurse actually had to take me aside to lay down and give me an orange juice anyway just to calm me down. She said she was proud because I had obviously had to work like a dog just to get that far...but I think she was just trying to make me feel better.
                No, she wasn't 'just trying to make you feel better'. You made a real, serious effort to do something worthwhile for people, and even though you couldn't go through with it, you TRIED. You are no less worthwhile than someone whose veins won't cooperate: or someone who successfully donates, for that matter.

I once had a nurse hit a nerve when I was donating, and for years after that I had a very physical phobia. My conscious mind was fine with it, but I'd feel sick and my veins would shrink down and become useless. Several things helped me:

* Tell them you will need their expert. A really good & experienced nurse can make a huge difference.
                * Lie down for the donation (or when giving blood for blood tests).
                * Look away.
                * Talk. Babble, in fact. Pick a topic, any topic, and just rabbit on and on about it. Sometimes I would talk about how nervous I was.
                * Consider taking a comfort thing: cuddling a soft toy can help.

Several times, the expert nurse would tell me it was over, before I was aware she'd even done anything. (Never with a donation, though - they take too long.)
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                  I have never been able to donate blood. Oh, I've tried at least 4 or 5 times, but the people can never find a vein to get blood outta me.
                  My mom's the same- in fact, Canadian Blood Services flat-out told her not to come back. The last time she needed bloodwork done at the hospital, they had to draw it from her LEG!
                  My dad, sister and I more than make up for her though- my dad's well on his way to 75 donations, and I will continue working up to 20 when I move back to Canada- I'd donate blood here, but all the paperwork to do so is in Thai, and the blood services, unlike the hospitals, don't generally have a translator handy.
                  Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

[QUOTE=reformedwaitress;59869
                    Now the fact that he barged in and DEMANDED the mobile be moved, that's not cool. But the not giving blood thing does NOT automatically make him a bad person. That's his business[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I guess what I was doing was pointing out that this guy would try to make a donation for the less fortunate and needy go where the sun don't shine. Lots of people I know do not give blood, for whatever reason. Wow! I see I've created a monster with this post, but I digress........

Comment

I can't give blood either. It's not so much the needle, but how I get afterwards... Let's just say I get a bit sleepy, lightheaded and (usually) having to drive home is *not* a good thing. I've tried to help out in other ways though--the last time was for my Eagle Scout service project in '94. For years, my church has had an annual blood drive, but attendance usually sucked. This time though, I got my troop involved--we put up signs everywhere possible, and even had a few spots on the local radio. Turns out one of the guys had a younger sister, who knew one of the local DJs. Anyway, we doubled the amount of blood donated...and even now they're still asking me to help. Time doesn't permit that though
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

protege - did you used to eat RIGHT before you donated? Whenever I've had a bad reaction, it was becuase I hadn't eaten for the past 3-4 hours or more. Eating as close to the time you donate (I'll leave work, have a sandwich, then go to the center) has helped me a lot. So that might be something to try if it wasn't something you made a concious effort to do before, if you're willing. Your Eagle Scout project sounds like it was lots of fun!

FTR, churches have the best blood drives - homemade cookies are always a possibility!

And I admit, my worst, worst reaction I had eaten not long before, but it was beastly hot and humid and I was walking around the county fair afterwards. Not a smart idea! Nearly passed out on one of the streets! My mom has banned me from donating at the Fair again, the convenience isn't worth it!

Comment

I donate blood. I can't really give money because I can't really afford to, but I can give my blood. My type isn't all that rare. I have one of the more common types, but I always feel as though I've done something to help. I haven't donated since last July though. I got my tattoo last October and the Red Cross needs you to wait a year after getting a tattoo before donating again. I'm planning on going right after the new year.

I'm diabetic, but I'm still allowed the donate blood which I really appreciate. The last time I gave blood, in July 2005, I went first thing in the morning, right after breakfast. My sister, who was pregnant at the time so couldn't give, sat with me and we went with our mom to Target after that. At least, I remember going to Target. The next thing I remember I was back at home and my mom was on the phone with my doctor, trying to figure out what to do without having to take me to the ER. Apparently, I made it about 20 feet inside Target before I passed out. My sister, mother, and LP helped me get back in the car and we drove home. My dad actually carried me in the house (I looooooove my family!!). I wasn't completely passed out and my sister said that I was answering questions coherently, but really slowly, so that's why they didn't take me to the ER right away. My doctor said I was ok, just weak, and to feed me. That's it. I was ok after about 1/2hr and my blood sugar had fallen too much, too fast.

I still want to give blood, but my mom doesn't want me to. My doctor said it was ok. My mom is just being....my mom.
                          Do I dare
                          Disturb the universe?
                          In a minute there is time
                          For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

I can't really get my head around someone bothering to go and give blood and then demanding that the blood not be used for treating anyone else. Why even bother, then?

In the UK, I do not believe that you can do this. i think the National Blood Service Form that you sign explicitly says that you give your permission for the blood to be used for any purpose, including treating sick people or research.
                            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                            - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Melxb View Post
                              I donate blood. I can't really give money because I can't really afford to, but I can give my blood. My type isn't all that rare. I have one of the more common types, but I always feel as though I've done something to help. I haven't donated since last July though. I got my tattoo last October and the Red Cross needs you to wait a year after getting a tattoo before donating again. I'm planning on going right after the new year.
                              As you probably know, all types of blood are important and useful. Even if they aren't used as "whole blood" in transfusions, parts of the blood can be manufactured into useful products such as clotting factors for people with bleeding disorders.

It's so great that you want to give blood even though you would have a good reason not to.

Working with blood donations has really opened my eyes to all the cool things they do with blood. It's very interesting.
                              Last edited by Special Patrol Group; 12-12-2006, 08:57 AM.
                              Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                                protege - did you used to eat RIGHT before you donated?
                                I had lunch less than an hour before that. Even so, it still knocked me for a loop.

I'd give blood again...but I don't like needles. I'm not *afraid* of them, I just don't *like* them After getting allergy shots for years, I tend to stay away.
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X