X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
    I know some that are deathly afraid of needles
    (Raises hand)

I did manage to give blood once, and I don't know how I got thru it. I did it mainly to find my blood type, as I had no idea what it was.

I don't mind shots so much, because they're usually quick. But just knowing there's a needle sticking in me, even if I can't feel it, freaks me out really bad. The nurse even asked me if I was sure I wanted to go thru with it. In the end I did, and she was really nice, BSing with me the whole time to keep my mind off it. But I don't know if I could go thru with it again.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

my biggest mistake when giving blood was during a blood drive at college not realizing how long it would take i didnt bring my backpack for my next class
      well it ran way past the appointment time before i was even taken, i finished 5 minutes before my class was tostart
      i ran back to my dorm got my supplies and ran to class
      i felt a wee bit light headed after that

Comment

I would give blood, but they won't take it. Yay for left over 1980s AIDS uber paranoia. It gets annoying when we have blood drives at work, the guy who organizes it hasn't learned that THEY WON'T TAKE MY BLOOD.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          (Raises hand)

I don't mind shots so much, because they're usually quick. But just knowing there's a needle sticking in me, even if I can't feel it, freaks me out really bad.
          I don't get that feeling much...usually because I'm in too much pain to begin with. When I had my hernia surgery some years ago, I was in so much pain, I didn't care about the damn needle. The doctor was like "well, I'm going to stick this needle in you." Me: Go right ahead I figured, I already felt like shit, so bring it on!
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Well, I'm bummed, I was all scheduled to donate today, even had the foresight to shave my gorilla arms this mornin' so I could remove the gauze later in the day and not cause myself more pain....

ANd then the screening nurse told me I couldn't donate because my temp was too high, apparently, I pegged a 100.2 temp, which is odd, becuase I feel fine, honest...

Oh well, they're having another one in a week, they can't keep deferring me forever! I'll reach that gallon donation mark yet!
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

It's funny about this whole needle phobia thing. I don't like them, of course (who does?) but I don't have a phobia about them and they don't phase me, and often amaze the nurses with how "calm" and how much of a "good patient" I am. Maybe it was because of all those needles the allergist stuck in me when I was younger, just to test to find out what I was allergic to. (Answer: just about anything that grows, or so it seemed at the time.) And so I ended up somehow on the other end of the needle spectrum, that end where I have actually sold plasma so I could have beer money for the sports bar that very day.

And yes, I know you are not supposed to do that. Hush.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

i haven't given blood for about a year, but that's because of my tattoo. i will be giving in the next 2 weeks if my blood pressure doesn't put them off (it's normally in the range of 110/70).
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                  Both parties definitely at fault, although having broken my share of rules before I would tend to side with the nurse who's doing legitimate good work over the buttmunch who's doing nothing but...well, being a buttmunch. Robin Hood mentality and all that.
                  Doing good work is no excuse for checking and publicly releasing sensitive medical information. Sure, the guy was an asshole, but the nurse didn't do any better than he did - and at least what HE did wasn't illegal.

Now, I have no idea how and where she'd look up his information - nor, more importantly, WHY - but she should be fired on the spot for her indiscretion.

Think about the other side, MG; how would you like your local nurse blabbing your medical details around, because she feels you interfered with her efforts to do "legitimate good work"? I'd bet money you'd be after her immediately.
                  You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

I can't really get my head around someone bothering to go and give blood and then demanding that the blood not be used for treating anyone else. Why even bother, then?
                    It goes back to the privacy thing. For example, suppose you and a friend, relative, neighbor, whatever habitually donate blood together. You find out, for one of the many potentially embarassing reasons, that your blood isn't acceptable. You don't want to explain, or not yet, and you can't put them off forever, so you go along. Switching the barcode allows this without risking anyone else's health over it.
                    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Re: Not looking at the needle. In my case, I HAVE to.

I'm a jumpy, noisy person when in pain. In high school during booster shots, one nurse was talking to me and the other one snuck up with me with the needle and got me.

I whipped my head around and let out a startled YELP that they thought was me panicking (Eesh, I'm not THAT weak).

So I have to warn the nurses to NOT worry if I yelp when they stab me, and I'll let them know if they have to stop

I watch the needle so I know exactly WHEN to expect the pain and can brace myself, otherwise I start to squirm a lot.

I should try to donate again. I lost my 5th time donor pin (I actually donated three times - twice was a flop so far, but they gave me the pin anyways)
                      Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Working...
                      X